• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Solar Eclipse, USA 2017...

Crossbreed

Neur-D Missionary ☝️
V.I.P Member
Is anybody here in the path of the full eclipse? I am in northern Wisconsin, so we will only see a partial one (that is, if the clouds break a little bit).

I have experienced a full eclipse twice in the uk. What stood out for me, was the birds stopping singing; a hushness suddenly appeared, as though everything stood still in that brief moment and rather than feeling frightened, absolutely fascinated by the whole experience.

I am from North Carolina, which I believe will experience the total eclipse, but I'm currently stuck in Texas. Ugh! Oh well. At least I get to see a partial eclipse.

I'm going to be on the road today, heading to College Station, Tx A&M... If I can get all my stuff together and get gone.

Taking a bunch of soil samples to the lab... I could mail them, but I like getting away and staying on top of all the soil science stuff... Going back to Geek Ville and I like it : )

Hopefully going to get to see a good 3/4 eclipse.

I can think of at least one member of our community that appears to be in the 90%+ exposure regarding the path of the eclipse. Though whether they are aware of it I have no idea...

I must be 400 miles from the 100% path, so I figure at best it might get a little dark in the next two hours at best. According to one map I noticed I might be in the 75%-80% pathway. Hmmmmm. :cool:

Anyways I'll be tuning into CBS around 10am to get the best view of it all....lol. :p

Last edited:
Northern Quebec, I'll see about 45 to 50% of the partial eclipse.
I've been reading that animals act strangely during the eclipse, birds settle for the night, ants freeze and stop activity and then resume afterwards.
Some panic and hide. I'm keeping my cats inside at partial eclipse. People have speculated that animals can sense a change of some sort, and I'm certain some of their finer hearing, sight, sense of smell would indicate such.

Last edited:
They are claiming about an 83% coverage from where I'll be watching.

I have a shade 11 shield in my welding hood and will suppliment it with additional shading so I can view it directly without frying my retinas.

My plan is to attempt a few photos of it during the time it occurs,but I don't know how much success I will have.

I cobbled together a basic camera obscura setup that I may try to view it with too.

I cobbled together a basic camera obscura setup that I may try to view it with too.

I was thinking of simply mounting my DSLR on my Bogen tripod and placing it in front of my widescreen tv so I can get some potentially spectacular photographs without having to use my telephoto lens. :p

95% here in Joplin Mo, noticeably dark

Attachments

• IMG_1544.JPG
    IMG_1544.JPG
    198.7 KB · Views: 0
It was a little dark here for a bit. Nothing as dramatic as in Madras Oregon though.

The photos didn't work out,but I did get to see it very clearly thru my welding gear with dark sunglasses.

Even with a shade 11 shield and very dark glasses,it wasn't something I wanted to look at for a long time.

I heard the recommended shade was 12-14,but I don't generally weld with anything past an 11 and usually do my TIG or MIG work with a shade 10,so I don't keep anything past 11 on hand.

I'm in a lucky spot here in the Willamette Valley of Oregon. When does it start?
Just kidding I didn't miss it! I can't imagine it being any more fantastic, other than it being longer.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom