• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

So Who Exactly Makes Such Rules ?

These kind of things always make me laugh. I see them for all sorts of things - what women/men over X age shouldn't wear, what big women shouldn't wear, what you can/can't do in X decade of age, etc.

Please MSN, project your insecurities on me so that I may conform better to the American lifestyle :rolleyes:

Sorry, my senses are coming back to me...this was MSN.com? Aren't they in the same league as Yahoo and AOL?

Last edited:
Sorry, my senses are coming back to me...this was MSN.com? Aren't they in the same league as Yahoo?

Nope. Yahoo's now Verizon's (word deleted). Damn! I'm not supposed to say that either! OMG. Oops. :p

Why must life- and speech be so complicated? Rules, rules, rules. :rolleyes:

Geez, maybe they should just send us old folks to carousel. (Logan's Run)

Oh well. I don't have the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval, so I suppose I'll just have to apply this one instead:

200w.gif

Last edited:
I wonder if in this "new world order" these kids are making, if they issue demerits.

But geez, that sounds terribly old. :p

I thought I'd have a look to see what bull was out there for "things women over 30 shouldn't do" and boy, did I hit the jackpot.

30 Things Women Over 30 Shouldn’t Own

So:

*If I didn't have any CD's from when I was a teenager, wtf would I listen too? (albeit now mostly on my ipod, but the same music).
*I love Hello Kitty, so you can shove that.
*Concert posters, yeah I have those and many others too. They're on the walls on our stairs.
*Hamsters annoyed me purely because the tagline said if you didn't have a dog, you wouldn't be able to "meet guys at the dog park"...because as we all know, that's the only reason to have a pet.
*Bean bags - I would love one of those really big ones you can lie on because they're so comfy to me, but we don't have the room.
*I have more stuffed animals than most kids.
*We have a set of bedding that's Adventure Time.
*I don't currently have any cartoon backpacks, but I do have a bag that looks like on original PlayStation.
*Fake uggs are comfy and have you seen how expensive the real ones are??
*I love silly phones cases, so there.
*The one that irked me the most, was games consoles. "You have better things to do than sit around playing games"...no I don't, go away.

I do wonder though if there are any people who see things like this, and actually change stuff because it's supposedly unacceptable over a certain age. Or maybe this is normal stuff for people (maybe just NT's, maybe not) my age to not own or be interested in.

Every time I read articles like this I think...
don't tell me.png

One thing I've noticed is they ALL talk about what other people will think of you. So these are really about making sure you look good to other people. In other words, they're about keeping up appearances and being FAKE.

Hmm... but isn't that what people do in cliquey high school? Last I checked, high-schoolers were pretty immature. And yet that article dictating the personal lives (bedroom decor and all; seriously?) of women over 30 even says they're immature. Yet it's telling us to be like that because of what other people will think.

Also, if your "friends" judge you by the things you own, they're not your friends. In that case, the mature thing to do is get better quality friends, not different possessions.

(RIP my last two lines that I liked very much and were the most true things in the universe... forgive me for thinking this forum was for adults... some of whom say stuff similar to what I said and get away with it somehow... anyway, curse people who think stuff like this is only for kids; they can go shove it)

Nice to see cursing isn't bad as long as anyone but me does it: examples being Fluttershy a few posts down, and this. No double standards there. Nope.

Also apparently some people being all high and mighty enough to not curse personally means no one else can either? Bigotry.

Last edited:
I thought I'd have a look to see what bull was out there for "things women over 30 shouldn't do" and boy, did I hit the jackpot.

So:

*If I didn't have any CD's from when I was a teenager, wtf would I listen too? (albeit now mostly on my ipod, but the same music).
*Concert posters, yeah I have those and many others too. They're on the walls on our stairs.
*Hamsters annoyed me purely because the tagline said if you didn't have a dog, you wouldn't be able to "meet guys at the dog park"...because as we all know, that's the only reason to have a pet.
*Bean bags - I would love one of those really big ones you can lie on because they're so comfy to me, but we don't have the room.
*I don't currently have any cartoon backpacks, but I do have a bag that looks like on original PlayStation.
*The one that irked me the most, was games consoles. "You have better things to do than sit around playing games"...no I don't, go away.

I do wonder though if there are any people who see things like this, and actually change stuff because it's supposedly unacceptable over a certain age. Or maybe this is normal stuff for people (maybe just NT's, maybe not) my age to not own or be interested in.

It almost read like a shopping list. I really do need to get a cartoon lunch box.

So:

Don't mind me while I go buy a Lava lamp to put next to my very extensive My Little Pony collection. :3

Unreliable vehicle? Really? Must be nice to magically just be so well off that you can just *decide* to have an unreliable vehicle. Cars suck.

I got prom dresses. Hello Kitty bedsheets. OMG stuffed animals pretty much own my house. I had a bean bag chair but they are impossible to keep clean, switched to the moon chair. :3 I'd get the 3D manicure but I'd just tear it up in a hour.

I think these lists just exist to try to make the more eccentric members of society feel bad about themselves. Conform dammit! >:

NES at my house! #noshame

10 Things You Need To Stop Doing Once You Turn 30

Ooh boy, things just got personal now :)

Wonder whose impossibly high standards these are...

Better thought, I wonder why some people live from paycheck to paycheck. Can a superior, wealthy man answer this for me? Hold that answer while I go pee-pee, okay?

No fast food? Arby's, McDonald's, and Wendy's are pxxxed!

The best time to get tattoos is after 30 I think because you're more likely to get something you'll treasure forever than rather just getting a tattoo to get a tattoo.

Just like the dress code...I live and do what I like. Not because someone else tells me to do certain things or be square. I don't care. Those kind of people just have a need to feel they are in the "IN" crowd. I guess that's one thing about not being social is good for... you get to please yourself!
And I have a Hello Kitty Back Pack! So there. Na na na na na. :p

Another rule breaker and Hello Kitty fan here. I wear what I want which is whatever is the softest and/or sensory-apropos.
Sometimes I say what I am well aware will raise eyebrows. I even act on my own rules and alienate others.

Oh dear.

Whenever I see any of these telling people to stop doing exciting things when they get old, I remember a 45 year old part time teacher at my school, who rides a Harley Davidson, plays in a metal band, teaches science by referencing Star Trek and spends his holidays trekking across third world countries doing volunteer work in villages and stuff. I aspire to be like him one day.

I have been thinking: there really are two kinds of people when it comes to following rules.

• Rule Followers
  • Decision Makers
and that's why there are such conflicts.

Some people want a "rule for everything" and then they follow it. Because they hate making decisions!

We Aspies tend towards being Decision Makers. We'll do things that make sense to us.

Which drives Rule Followers into fits of rage.

We can't do that!
Why not!
We aren't following the rules!
So what?

Rules are fine in some instances. But a lot of things are personal preference, and Rule Followers act like don't touch the stove it's hot is the same as women should wear dresses.

And it is not.

I have been thinking: there really are two kinds of people when it comes to following rules.

• Rule Followers
  • Decision Makers
and that's why there are such conflicts.

Some people want a "rule for everything" and then they follow it. Because they hate making decisions!

We Aspies tend towards being Decision Makers. We'll do things that make sense to us.

Which drives Rule Followers into fits of rage.

We can't do that!
Why not!
We aren't following the rules!
So what?

Rules are fine in some instances. But a lot of things are personal preference, and Rule Followers act like don't touch the stove it's hot is the same as women should wear dresses.

And it is not.

Sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath

Every time I read articles like this I think...
View attachment 35052

(RIP my last two lines that I liked very much and were the most true things in the universe... forgive me for thinking this forum was for adults... some of whom say stuff similar to what I said and get away with it somehow... anyway, curse people who think stuff like this is only for kids; they can go shove it)
Forgive the staff for trying to keep this a PG-13 forum.

We have members here that aren't adults and others who don't feel the need to express themselves with profanities.

New Threads

Top Bottom