• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

So what do you people HERE think of Temple Grandin?

Ana54

I gotta admit; I sort of started this thread just so that I could post this, which reminds me of her:

I identify more with Britney than with Temple, haha... Piece of Me is one of my favorite songs even tho it's about being famous and says "I'm Mrs. OMG that Britney's shameless" so I can't sing it myself unless I'm pretending to be Brit. I do identify with some Temple Grandin stuff tho, like always feeling and acting like I'm on stage and have stage fright.

She's okay. She was able to go to college and succeed. I know not all autistics like her because she goes on about "Autism is no excuse for poor table manners" but that's what I like about her. She also seemed to grow up the same way I did because my mother also taught me to show respect and good manners and nothing was never an excuse for my behavior. If I broke a rule or misbehaved, I was punished, so was she. I wish she realize not all visual thinkers are the same or math thinkers or verbal thinkers. I'm a visual thinker but I don't do things visual thinkers would do like draw and my thinking isn't like hers. It be tiring to picturing every single shoes or door or cats or schools when I see the word. Also some autistics are mixed with visual thinking and verbal thinking. I think we need to start stepping forward and tell her how we think so she knows.

I understand that she wants people to believe she can do just what everyone else can do... but she does seem to have lack of tact sometimes when trying to explain that.

I like her. I've learned a lot about autism and Asperger's from her. I want to meet her in real life, but I'm still waiting for that opportunity (I would have gotten it last summer, but she came to my city the day after we left for our vacation! T^T). For now I have a signed copy of her book, "The Way I See It."

I have learned a lot from Temple. She is an inspiration to me and she talks a lot of sense. I am also a highly visual thinker so I can relate a lot to the way she thinks. I've seen the HBO film and I intend to show it to others. I have seen a lot of her video's about autism and animal handling and she is a truly interesting woman.

Not sure how this video would remind you of Temple Grandin. But I would say she is an inspiration to many autistics, the obvious. But at the same time without actually meeting her you don't really know what she's about. Just by going through stuff on the net or reading books, etc. doesn't truly tell her story. You are seeing what she and others want you to see. Certain things I have read of her I relate to, others are iffy. I would be weary about jumping to any conclusions about anyone without actually talking to them because you will often find them to be just a small selectively editted image of their whole self. I have been told before that I could make speeches (not crazy about that idea :)), maybe write books (I love to write anyway) , maybe do other things to let others feel closer to who I am, what I have, and what I am experiencing. But it really seems more commercial and contrived to me to actually profit from it any way other than by just the feeling of helping others.

-sean-

I know not all autistics like her because she goes on about "Autism is no excuse for poor table manners" but that's what I like about her. She also seemed to grow up the same way I did because my mother also taught me to show respect and good manners and nothing was never an excuse for my behavior. If I broke a rule or misbehaved, I was punished, so was she

I absolutely agree. She was also the first autistic person who wrote a book on autism from her point of view; previously people believed that autistic individuals don't have some sort of inner life or intelligent thoughts.

I like her, from what I know of her. I've heard her speak and have seen the movie, "Temple". While everyone, myself included is not like her, I think that she does a lot to raise awareness that people on the spectrum are valuable and can offer something to society so that they are not pushed into a corner.

I love her very much. i like her voice and the way she annunciates. i actually just admire her for being a genius and i wish i could work on a project with her, though i would have trouble being in happy tears the entire time.

She looks strange, slightly elvish in a way but i kinda like that about her. She looks like my great grandmother who had that same nymph sort of look, maybe thats why i like her so much cause she looks like my Grams.

as for the people who dont like her because she suggests getting out there and trying, if they werent lazy aspergers than they would just be lazy neurotypicals imho. That comes with a side of entitlement that humans in general seem to have sadly.

I appreciate that she has done much to educate the public regarding life as an autistic. I love animals and think she is really in tune with them. She has courage to go out and be seen in all her differences. Her honesty about her own life makes me very aware that I could be much more severely affected and more interested in promoting the understanding of anyone with a handicap and especially, autistics.

I really admire her. I think that her hard work and accomplishments speak a lot about her character. I also think she's really paved the way for autism awareness and is really an eye opener for people who still view autism as a synonym for mental retardation. She's really shown that we can be just as capable and 'successful' as NTs.

I think she's done a lot to bring autism out into the open and make the public see it in a more positive light.

I've always found her story both fascinating and inspiring. I've seen the HBO movie a few times and read her book, "The Autistic Brain". I also like her emphasis on proper manners and etiquette. With the exception of those with more "classic" Autism, I think most of us on the "higher" end of the spectrum should be able to conduct ourselves with some level of manners and decorum. Though I do realize some of us have had different levels of guidance as to how to go about these matters. Like Temple, I was fortunate enough to have a mom that really drilled proper manners into me pretty strictly. And due to my mood disorder, I've had plenty of CBT style therapy as an adult to help me learn to self-soothe when the need arises and I do my best not to take it out on others. But again, I'm aware we all come from different backgrounds, so these things can be hard to gage. The only thing I would wish is for Temple to mention more about those on the spectrum who are not visually oriented. Though she does go over this a little bit when she mentions "word/data" types, which I would definitely describe myself as; I'm extremely verbally oriented and that has saved me the times when I couldn't always read people, though it also makes me vulnerable when I am overly literal and end up not knowing if someone is being dishonest. Anyhow, my 2 cents for the record.

I like her views on autism and admire her views on the humane treatment of animals. I really like what she has to say about her mother and how she helped her as a child. In those days, the knowledge and attitudes about autism were very different than they are now. That is a very good example of good parenting.

She is the reason I figured out I am an aspie. A friend had posted a video of her animal research and I watched it just out of curiosity. At one point she started describing her childhood and it sounded just like mine. I then took a few of those online quizzes and found this forum and after reading many posts here I knew without a doubt I am an aspie. I had never really heard of it before. I knew my brain was abnormal I just didn't know it had a name.

Until that HBO movie I had never heard of her, but seeing the commercials leading up to it I was intrigued and watched the movie. Now, I have read several books and articles about her and look at her with deep admiration.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom