• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Smartphones making children 'borderline autistic', warns expert

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me - the title is a bit misleading)

Young children today are less able to read human emotions than pupils four decades ago, an expert has said

cyber-bullying_1928090b.jpg

Children are less empathetic than a generation ago.

Children struggle to read emotions and are less empathetic than a generation ago because they spend too much time using tablets and smartphones, a leading psychiatrist has warned.

Iain McGilchrist said children as young as five were less able to read facial expressions because of too much interaction with technology.

He added that he had evidence that more pupils were displaying borderline "autistic" behaviour. Dr McGilchrist, a former Oxford literary scholar who retrained in medicine, said he had heard of increasing numbers of teachers who had to explain to their pupils how to make sense of human faces.

However, experts have said children’s lack of ability to read emotions may be down to cultural or language barriers and not just technology.

Mr McGilchrist said he’d heard from teachers who said they now have to explain to their pupils how to make sense of the human face more than a few years ago.

Dr McGilchrist said he has been contacted by teachers of five to seven year olds who have estimated that roughly a third of their pupils find it difficult to keep attention, read faces.

In an interview with the Telegraph, he said: “These teachers have been teaching for 30 years and had found only a couple of people not able to do these simple tasks. People are increasingly finding it difficult to communicate at an emotional level in what appears to be features of autism.”

The author of The Master and his Emissary, which explored the functions of the left and right hemispheres of the brain, added that there is evidence youngsters are “less empathic” than four decades ago.

He pointed to research done in the US within the last decade that shows a decrease in empathy among college students and at the same time a rise in narcissism.

He said “plausible” theories as to why children are less empathic are to do with the disruptive effects of technology in the family unit.

Dr McGilchrist said: “Children spend more time engaging with machines and with virtual reality than they used to in the past where they don’t have to face the consequences of real life. In virtual environments they don’t have to interpret the subtle cues of real-life environments like when they are playing with children in the woods.

He also said: “Small children are not getting the same individual face-to-face attention as before and when they are at home with the family, the family is multi-tasking and the child is in front of the TV or an iPad screen which is quite worrying.”

“It is hardly surprising that we are not as good as reading human faces and interacting with human beings if we are engaging with the virtual world.”

However, others have said the reasons behind an apparent lack of empathy are complex. Dr Nadja Reissland, a psychologist and senior lecturer at Durham University, said saying children are less able to read human emotion was “a big statement”.

She added: “It could be true but we need to know the background of these children. They might not want to talk about their emotions or might not be used to. They might also come from different cultures where they are normally not supposed to show emotions or English may not be their first language.”

SOURCE: Smartphones making children borderline autistic, warns expert - Telegraph

Actually it makes me wonder if it's just children in developmental stages or if even teens and adults regress in being less empathetic as well. Can't imagine that social behaviour is a skill once learned will set you for life and without keeping up with it, won't regress or go "stale" eventually.

Also makes me wonder if dealing with "regressed" people will eventually catch on like it's contagious. Recognizing facial expressions is one, but what if you're not even able to show appropriate expressions yourself anymore?

I don't really agree with this theory from personal experience, an ipad is basically the same as an iphone and my autistic son has developed so much since getting one, he communicates so much better. I myself am autistic and also my one of my two daughters is autistic, my autistic daughter has never used an iphone in her life she just got her first ipad a few months ago and is not really interested in it, she rarely uses it and my NT daughter on the other hand has used an iphone for a few years now and she is completely brilliant with no signs of autism what so ever.

I didn't read it all but the bit I did, tells me one thing: they are blurring the lines and making autism out to be something that should be shut up or put away. On the other hand, to say: developing autistic traits, may indeed be accurate but the way it is being put across causes misrepresentation of those who are classic autism and aspergers.

I sense a sort of "annoyance" or "tutting of the teeth" to denote, vexation that: "sigh" the teacher has to teach a 5 year old how to read a simple thing as a face - what next?

They should separate the two because this bodes bad for ones who are autistic.

they are blurring the lines and making autism out to be something that should be shut up or put away.
I didn't bother reading it because obviously they are also suggesting that autism can be an acquired condition. Just file it away with vaccines all the other supposed causes.

Misleading headline.
Article not as inflammatory as headline would...lead you to believe.
People write headlines to grab other people's attention.
I wrote headlines for a little paper one summer.
Headline doesn't have to be entirely true.
It does have to attract attention.

Just another random luddite, and lousy reporting on the Telegraph's behalf (not all that surprising). Focus on the speculation, add a couple sentences of token skepticism at the end. Wash, rinse, repeat.

So he or she thinks one is autistic if one struggles to read facial expressions, but where does the borderline personality disorder come into play?

Touchscreens aggravate my sensory issues, I'll be all for getting rid of the infernal things and going back to proper buttons. :D

Cheapens the concept, and the experience, of being autistic, in a classically irresponsible way. But then, what's news for, if not cheap thrills? Fear sells nearly as well as sex, and costs less :D

Cheapens the concept, and the experience, of being autistic, in a classically irresponsible way. But then, what's news for, if not cheap thrills? Fear sells nearly as well as sex, and costs less :D

When I was little and my father watched the news on television
I thought it was important. It was serious grown-up stuff.
Now the news seems to me to be just fancy gossip.
Who can tell a story in a way that attracts the most attention.

Personally, I don't notice "autistic" behavior as a result of smartphones. I do notice an excessive display of narcissism among those young people who use them.

This generations psychological fuddy duddys wanting to say "TV is,bad fuh yoooowww" but trade for technology.
i wish they would stop trying to scare people using our already difficult to live with challenges to their benefit.

New Threads

Top Bottom