• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Skin/Nail Peeling Stim

Yeah, I do it alot with the palm of my left hand. Been doing it since, oh, 7th grade? I dont think I've had even one day in all these years where I havent done it. It hasnt looked quite normal since. Anyone that spots it always says something like "wow, your skin there is so dried out, have you tried lotion?" because I guess that's what it looks like to them. Heard that one a few thousand times.

Cant stop. Probably never will. I never do it to the point of bleeding though. Even if I did do that accidentally, I'm not worried about infection or anything. I wash very thoroughly. Gotta stay sanitary.

It's kinda embarrassing though, I try to make sure nobody sees me doing it.

Worry stone.

shopping.jpeg

Traditional shape to fit in your palm with an indent for the thumb.

But I am not fussy, any tumbled stone would do. I like looking into the different colors and feeling the shape.

I love worry stones. I have never had a specifically shaped one, I just find a smooth stone that I like the shape of in my hand. I keep them in all of my coat pockets, so that when I need something to fidget with, there's always something there. I used to stick my hands in my pockets to keep people from seeing me stim with my hands, but would end up picking at the seams and ruining the pockets. All of my coats had holes in the lining of the pockets and I was forever having to darn them. At that point, I didn't know what stimming was, people just always accused me of fidgeting too much. The stones helped a lot. I may be NT in most ways, but I definitely have the aspie stimming gene going strong!

I'll be honest, I do this too, but I have the worst personal heigeine of any high functioning person I know. I NEVER get colds or infections - I rarely clean out wounds unless I see dirt in them and it has never been an issue.

If you're worried keep some antibacterial ointment and bandaids on you. If you need - they sell disposable saline wipes for minor cuts.

I'll be honest, and say I did. I would bite at the skin of my lips with my teeth. and I could taste and feel the blood (I am not bleeding, but it sure felt like it. I don't get any infections from this.

I do pick the skin around my nails, and it can get infected, depending on the severity of the wound. I could also say the same about the dead skin of the popped blisters, and it also painful. I really need to remind myself to stop picking there and use a bandage instead...

I do all the same, nail-biting all the way down until it hurts and picking skin around nails, sometimes to the point of bleeding. But I'm also not very hygienic when it comes to keeping my hands clean, but never had an infection of any sort (am I supposed to?). It'll hurt for a day or two but I just deal with it and everything grows back for the next nervous stimming event.

I know this is an old thread but I need help. I want to start by saying that I am adhd diagnosed and I believe I have many autistic tendencies. My nails….well, I have done silly putty, crazy Aaron’s thinking putty, stones, finger cots, stress balls, my husband calls me a serial stress ball killer and polymer clay. I have always picked at the skin around my thumbs and other fingers, I don’t even care if they bleed. Last year, I got an infected ingrown toenail that needed medical attention because I just can’t pick my fingers alone! My situation now is my pinky, ring and middle fingers on both hands. I will and have peeled the NAIL up almost to my cuticle with a small space between. This is bananas! Any words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated!

@curly2straight@48

Sounds like that would be painful.

You're not concerned about the pain, though?
If it was just the pain and healing, ChapStick or Vicks
work well for both. Yeah, I mean ChapStick on cuticles or torn
skin.
What you want is to curtail the picking/peeling behavior, itself.

@curly2straight@48

Have you looked into skin picking disorder and tried anything to reduce this behavior? Do you have a mental health professional or a doctor that you can speak to you about this habit?

Skin picking and harmful stims are generally related to anxiety. It would be important to start to notice what causes you to feel anxious and see if it is related to this habit you described.

I understand what you’re going through. I have had similar periods in my life where it has been really bad. Better now because I have gotten some help.

New Threads

Top Bottom