• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Show me your BRAINsssss!

Did you know as a child that you were an aspie?

• Total voters

Dee317

Where ever you go, there you are.
My result-32 year old female-never drove-failed in the work force due to overload and demand anxiety.
Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 142 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 83 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)
2.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg
2.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
8.jpg
2.jpg

Last edited:
My Mother's results-59 years old-never drove-test results showed major sensory processing problems.
dor.jpg

Back when I was a kid, Asperger's wasn't even a thing in terms of an official diagnosis. So I didn't really know... but then again, I didn't bother with labeling myself. Looking back, I was a bit of an odd kid and my mom actually took some courses in childpsychology to handle me better.

I should look up the results of these tests and get back to this thread later though... I have those results somewhere.

I wasn't diagnosed till the age of 23 (almost 7 and half years to the day from leaving school) but they always thought I was "odd" back then, but nothing was ever said that I might have AS or any form of Autism, and when I was first diagnosed I was kind of against it, but I kind of accepted it over the years, I've had to basically.

I wasn't diagnosed till the age of 23 (almost 7 and half years to the day from leaving school) but they always thought I was "odd" back then, but nothing was ever said that I might have AS or any form of Autism, and when I was first diagnosed I was kind of against it, but I kind of accepted it over the years, I've had to basically.
You should be proud to be an aspie, we think so differently that in a world full of NTs, we are the ones solving their problems, because they just CAN'T see certian things. What are your interests?

I wasn't diagnosed until I was in my 50's. When I was a kid, AS was unknown in the US. In school they kept saying, "He won't apply himself," "He wants to be the center of attention," etc., etc. I could never make them understand what was happening inside my head. The kids would just pick on me and call me weird or retarded.
The teachers said the same about me. The kids called me "snoop", as in the dog, because I lived in a fantasy world and believed I was part dog until 4th grade. In 6th grade I failed the grade because i didmt like the subjects, i only liked science and english. Istarted to kick people's asses if they bullied other people around me, then they stopped and I gained a circle class clown friends. They are all drug addicts now, I'm glad to be away from them. At 16 the principal told me to drop out, I did. I wish they had known to do the testing. I think I was missed for being a girl.

My AS is exacerbated by having a NVLD. When I was little they all thought I was a child prodigy, as I started talking at a VERY early age and even learned how to read when I was 2. I could hold conversations with adults; they called me "the little professor." As I entered junior high and high school, everything changed. I didn't see it at first because my mother kept moving us aroudn the country, but I had turned into an absolute moron. I cannot do math to save my life and the sciences, though fascinating to me like math, elude me. I can read anything you place in front of me (you should hear me rattle off Old Testament names), but I have almost no retention or comprehension. Still, my IQ tests show that I am above average.

It's a challenge having both AS and a NVLD, because I struggle with the Aspie traits and the challenges of having difficulty learning. That's what puzzles some people, because they think all Aspies are scientists, engineers, etc. That's not the case; I'm living proof of that.
What is the proper name for nvld? My interest is medical knowledge, people often wonder how I can possibly know as much as I do about certian medical conditions. It's my obsession, because I can link information easily. Like symptoms to correct diagnosis. I have been right over the opinion of the Dr.'s, so many times about the cause of my children's sicknesses. It's sad really.

Ohhhhh I got it. I haven't dabbled into the nonverbal yet, my daughter is HFA and never had that issue.

I did the full Aspie quiz printout on my PC so I only have a screenshot of the results the other time I did it on my phone.
d1251f132bc9582fb328b04224d796a5.jpg
The second time I did it, on the PC I got even higher ND scores and lower NT scores, I took my time more and answered more carefully. The printout I am taking to the GP on Monday as proof they need to refer me. AQ I get 47 or 48 usually but recently I put no for a few things where I do have those traits slightly and it was still 44. Obviously taking that to the GP as well. I have done the EQ/SQ test (also by Simon Baron-Cohen) as well and got 5 on the EQ and 44 on the SQ, from what I have been able to ascertain that's a well below average score on the EQ and a typical NT female score on the SQ is around 25, but 44 is within the average range for men as they are more 'systemising' by nature. I am not taking that one to the GP though as I am concerned the EQ part in particular could be misinterpreted to be a 'sociopath test' and I do not want them to think my children are at risk or something similar due to that.

I wasn't diagnosed until I was in my 50's. When I was a kid, AS was unknown in the US. In school they kept saying, "He won't apply himself," "He wants to be the center of attention," etc., etc. I could never make them understand what was happening inside my head. The kids would just pick on me and call me weird or retarded.
Ugh. Ugh. UGH. All of those phrases are too familiar to me. I also used to get called 'mong' and 'spazz', my replies to that didn't help make them leave me alone (an in depth technical explanation of what Downs' syndrome and cerebral palsy actually are and how I don't have them).

I did the full Aspie quiz printout on my PC so I only have a screenshot of the results the other time I did it on my phone.
d1251f132bc9582fb328b04224d796a5.jpg
The second time I did it, on the PC I got even higher ND scores and lower NT scores, I took my time more and answered more carefully. The printout I am taking to the GP on Monday as proof they need to refer me. AQ I get 47 or 48 usually but recently I put no for a few things where I do have those traits slightly and it was still 44. Obviously taking that to the GP as well. I have done the EQ/SQ test (also by Simon Baron-Cohen) as well and got 5 on the EQ and 44 on the SQ, from what I have been able to ascertain that's a well below average score on the EQ and a typical NT female score on the SQ is around 25, but 44 is within the average range for men as they are more 'systemising' by nature. I am not taking that one to the GP though as I am concerned the EQ part in particular could be misinterpreted to be a 'sociopath test' and I do not want them to think my children are at risk or something similar due to that.
As a mother, I am not sure that I want to pursue the official diagnosis. My main concern is that if my husband ever left, or something bad happened, they would see me as an unfit mother due to mental illness. Also, it makes it near impossible to get life insurance with a diagnosis, also private insurance won't cover adult aspie therapies, there aren't many in my area for adults anyway. The pro/con list suggests that I keep my mouth shut to my doctor.

I have worried about that also, and it is a risk but then again I have a diagnosis of MDD (though I havent had a major episode since 2003) and while they have tried to label me as high risk during some of my pregnancies due to that, it has never gone further than that and the high risk label has usually been scratched out by the second or third appointment when they see I am not any kind of a risk. In this area ASD is not seen as a mental illness but a neuro-developmental one as they are more enlightened than in other areas of the uk. I don't get any typeof insurance other than is legally required ( this due to religious reasons) and private medical insurance which I don't have anyway covers so little here, that even if I did have it, I would have to pay for any therapy etc up front because no type of therapy is covered.

There have been a few times when I thought social services would definitely get involved, my middle son was always landing himself in a&e at the age of around three, I fought my previous local authority's children's services over an educational issue and they are notorious for calling social services out of spite; and I refused health visitor services as the health visitor here is a nosy so and so and after having five kids I have no need for their services anyway. None of those resulted in a referral despite my worries that they would. I need a diagnosis for my own piece of mind and also for my dad. Everyone has their own views on seeking a formal diagnosis and there is no one right or wrong view.

I have worried about that also, and it is a risk but then again I have a diagnosis of MDD (though I havent had a major episode since 2003) and while they have tried to label me as high risk during some of my pregnancies due to that, it has never gone further than that and the high risk label has usually been scratched out by the second or third appointment when they see I am not any kind of a risk. In this area ASD is not seen as a mental illness but a neuro-developmental one as they are more enlightened than in other areas of the uk. I don't get any typeof insurance other than is legally required ( this due to religious reasons) and private medical insurance which I don't have anyway covers so little here, that even if I did have it, I would have to pay for any therapy etc up front because no type of therapy is covered.

There have been a few times when I thought social services would definitely get involved, my middle son was always landing himself in a&e at the age of around three, I fought my previous local authority's children's services over an educational issue and they are notorious for calling social services out of spite; and I refused health visitor services as the health visitor here is a nosy so and so and after having five kids I have no need for their services anyway. None of those resulted in a referral despite my worries that they would. I need a diagnosis for my own piece of mind and also for my dad. Everyone has their own views on seeking a formal diagnosis and there is no one right or wrong view.
I didn't mean to offend you, I would rather the diagnosis for the same reason. I was just unaware of the risks until recently. I just wanted to make sure you had that info. I would hate to see something happen to any mother because of it. Here is my eq/sq score, thank you because I was unaware of this test.
d9aad6933892bb30ba112028353938c2.jpg

Are you still non verbal? My nephew is about 9 years old, his mother is a scientist, he in very low verbal, i feel like he lashes out because he is screaming things inside his head that he can't physically say, and she doesn't want to "slap another diagnosis on him." Do you know of any good technology for him to break that barrier?

The "Non Verbal" means that the disorder does not affect the verbal abilities, which is why I started to talk at a very early age. My mother said I spoke at nine months. That's hard to believe for some, but not uncommon for an NVLD. Here are a few links that you might find helpful:

http://www.nlda.org/

http://www.nldline.com/

https://www.understood.org/en/learn...understanding-nonverbal-learning-disabilities

https://www.aane.org/asperger_resources/articles/miscellaneous/asperger_nonverbal_learning.html
Why would they do something so cruel to people who are so literal?? Who ever named it that should be punched. Everytime I see it, I assume it means a child who is non verbal and can't talk. Ugh, I give up today...thank you for the info. We have another niece who spoke very young, she is the most adorable child, she speaks so clearly and knowledgably.

New Threads

Top Bottom