• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Should you declare your Asperger's when applying for a job?

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Topic.

I'd personally say no, for the reason that not many people outside of those who need to know about AS for professional reasons have heard of it, and don't know what it is.

I've also been saying for years that current so called "equality" laws designed to protect us disabled people in the UK workplace aren't worth the paper they're printed on because the useless government don't enforce them and probably never will, hence I've had to be content with voluntary work since I left school nearly 24 years ago.

Anyone agree or want to comment on this?

I wouldn't either, I really don't see there being a benefit you mentioning something in an interview that might be used against you.

Assuming there are 3 types of employers out there (for the sake of simplicity)
1. Those who know nothing about AS, and would hold it against you. (a clear negative for disclosure)
2. Those who know nothing/little about AS, and try to be fair about it. (Still a slight negative)
3. Those who know a lot about AS, and would be very supportive. (a plus to disclose it)

However the was majority would be 1 or 2, there would be a lot at 1, and very few at 3. So IMO do not disclose it. In terms of fair adjustments employers are required to make, I would try to hold off from doing this until you settle in and they appreciate your skills.

In terms of government policy in relation to disabled people, probably best I keep my mouth shut, as my extreme negative feelings against it, would land me in trouble. :mad:

Are you able to specify that you have a disability without going into specifics? I noticed on job applications (in the US at least) that you can declare yourself to have a disability without writing any specifics. This is what I did.

I won't disclose the specifics because I fear that I will be found medically unfit to drive a commercial motor vehicle by a DOT medical examiner. That would be the death knell for any CDL driving job.
So, instead I made my route preference perfectly clear by explaining in terms of what I want and like. I didn't explain why it works for me as they don't need to know.

I got a driving route with minimal passenger interaction over a short distance with 4 hours in the morning and 4 hours in the afternoon. I have time between shifts to decompress. It turns out what works for me, is a blessing for my employer because split shifts are the hardest to fill. In summation, I got the accommodations I need without them even really knowing that they're accomodating me.

Sometimes it can be about chosing the right career for your temperament and personality. This is the first time that I chose a job field that I am well-suited to. Every other job I chose, I'd have meltdowns due to stress, anxiety, or social issues.

Last edited:
I wouldn't recommend it and would definitely say keep it off your CV and don't mention it in an interview as sadly you never know what's happening behind closed doors.
That way, if you succeed in getting the job and you bring it up later, they won't be able to use it as a reason to sack you as you would be able to sue them under the Disability Discrimination Act.

I wouldn't recommend it and would definitely say keep it off your CV and don't mention it in an interview as sadly you never know what's happening behind closed doors.
That way, if you succeed in getting the job and you bring it up later, they won't be able to use it as a reason to sack you as you would be able to sue them under the Disability Discrimination Act.

In theory you could sue the pants off them for discrimination yeah, but in practise, most cases wouldn't go anywhere, like I said in the OP the DDA ain't worth much IMO because no government since it came in under the Tories in 1995 has ever enforced it.

In theory you could sue the pants off them for discrimination yeah, but in practise, most cases wouldn't go anywhere, like I said in the OP the DDA ain't worth much IMO because no government since it came in under the Tories in 1995 has ever enforced it.

Depends who you ask for help with your claim; there are organizations that help with claims of disability discrimination.

Government entities are probably even more beholden to the ADA than a private employer. Good point. Also good to hear your little L-bomb helped to ensure karma bit evil supervisor in the ass.

I can verify that the TSA does indeed discriminate against people who take medication for depression. So if you take meds, do not bother applying to the TSA!

Government Departments such as the Fire service, the Coppers and local Councils offer a guaranteed interview under the "2 ticks" scheme, 2 ticks my arse, I've applied to Sheffield Council before and not got anywhere, they keep saying I haven't declared my disability.

Last edited:
The American's with Disabilities Act also has no teeth. It's largely token.
Actually this isn't true.

It's believed the ADA costs the U.S. Economy over $100 Billion a year because of the requirements placed on private industry.
It's also believed the ADA has cost the U.S. economy over $2 Trillion since it came into force.

All U.S. workplace discrimination needs to go through the EEOC first.

You should never disclose a disability unless it's required by form, visible noticeable, and/or impairs your ability to the job normally.

If you lie on the form(s)when they ask you if you have a disability and you fill out NO, then you will get punished for lying on the form(s) mostly in the form of being fired.
This is legal in most developed countries.

It's believed the ADA costs the U.S. Economy over $100 Billion a year because of the requirements placed on private industry.
It's also believed the ADA has cost the U.S. economy over $2 Trillion since it came into force.

You should never disclose a disability unless it's required by form, visible noticeable, and/or impairs your ability to the job normally.

If you lie on the form(s)when they ask you if you have a disability and you fill out NO, then you will get punished for lying on the form(s) mostly in the form of being fired.
Source...

Source...
I heard it on PBS News Hour when they were celebrating the 20th anniversary of it a few years ago.

No one can accurately quantify and measure the impact of such law, because if how it impacts the economy.

I do not tell anybody that I am on the spectrum because unless they are autistic too, they will not understand. I am lucky enough to not be disabled, so I have never needed any help. In my case discloser never leads to anything good.

I don't mean to sound harsh but I could care less about the economic impact of the ADA when the income disparity in this country is approaching Calvin Coolidge era levels. The wealthy control more resources than the 99%.

The ADA is designed to force businesses that don't have humanity to get some real quick.

I believe that these costs are one of the reasons that the DSM-5 is set up the way that it is.

New Threads

Top Bottom