• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Should Those on the Autism Spectrum Receive Special Treatment in Education or Employment?

Individuals on the spectrum should receive special treatment in . . .

• Education only.

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Employment only.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both Education and Employment.

Votes: 45 71.4%
  • Neither, as the playing field should be level for everyone.

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • I really don’t care either way.

Votes: 7 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I can agree with special treatment for both. I'm going to talk in a LD prospective since this is what I'm legally diagnosed with. However, I what what I'm going to say can somewhat relate similar to AS.

Without accommodations in school I might never be able to graduated. The type of LD I have takes me longer to get things done. Without the extra time, I would never be able to finish most test.

Employment wise, if I don't have special tools to help with my writing, it would be difficult for people to understand me.

Some people need accommodations, and others don't. It all depends on their case but I'm supportive of the idea of accommodations if the person haves a legit reason for it.

I kinda think that both in education and employment there should be more flexibility in general. For everyone, not just people with a diagnosis of some kind because people are not machines. The more "efficient" "streamlined" ect a business or school is the harder it is for most anyone. I'm not a capitalist:). Not much for most ways of educating people, either. And I'm not a Marxist, but certainly not a capitalist.

I think acknowledging that they may need extra time, tools, etc, is great but I feel it should be oriented towards the needs of each individual. I use myself as an example. I get embarrassed when someone makes an issue that I am ASD. I don't want special attention brought upon me in any way. I just want to make it through life on my own accord and my own standing.

A lot of times these special things turn into nightmares that force people into situations and rules and regs that they never saw coming. Many Nt's are simply control freaks and they use any tactic to gain that control. I know it sounds like I dislike them... Not so, but that never means I trust them, even if they are family... Maybe especially if they are family. Its sad I know... Sorry to any NT's I just stomped on.

For myself, no. I am not disabled. However, for some, most certainly yes.

I think it should be more treated like discrimination then special treatment needs, and the reason I say that is is that there are a lot of jobs out there that aspies can do without the need for special accommodations. The problem is getting access to those jobs in the first place. The resume and interview processes are extremely bias and discriminative towards NT's to the point that most of us just slip through the cracks. If there are to be any special accommodations made. It should be developing an aspie friendly interview and resume process that works for the aspie mindset. That way, employers can see our strengths more then our weaknesses. I think we all can agree that it would be beneficial for us if employers see us as an asset rather then a liability.

I think it would make more sense to change interviews and working conditions so that without much or any explanation why, a person can request reasonable accommodation.

Some estimates of the percetage of the population with some sort of disability run as high as over half. We should not have to prove a disability with that many people involved. Making sure people have what they need to do their best work is only good sense.

This is probably idealistic and maybe impossible, but it is a nice thought anyway.:D

I think that both education and employment should make concessions. There are many aspies that cannot cope with the work invironment, but may be fantastic at the job in hand.

So, a room where they can go and have down time. That they are allowed to wear glasses that dim the lighting. That ear protecters can be used.

If someone is in a wheelchair, then surely, it would be made so that they can move around easier?

Therefore, what ever the person is going through, if they are going to be good for the progression of the business, then yes, adaption should be on the agenda.

Yes. I was on the radio about one of the Australian politicians (Pauline Hanson) saying that us Aspies should be kicked out of mainstream schools. Has she ever stopped to think of the storm she is brewing for us with Asperger's/Autism at mainstream schools (cough cough bullying much???)

Limo (It's a yes from me!!)

No.

I believe that everyone should receive special treatment. We spend a lot of energy focussing on us, as do every minority group, but can lose sight of the fact that there is no such thing as a "typical" human. Take for example a harsh interview situation. Yes you have the autistic set, but there are also inexperienced teenagers, who are terrified, unstable NTs unable to control their emotions, return to work parents who have just dropped off their crying toddler.

So rather than 'normal' And 'special' treatment, I think both education and employment needs to be less rigid and more flexible for all.

Education only, I like helping people to achieve their best, but I want it to be equal for everyone on the market. Schools should help students with autism so that when we go out to find jobs we have the knowledge to do so. I too struggle to land jobs, I just like the idea of equal opportunity, not outcome.

Actually, it's kind of a trick question, isn't it?

We don't want anything "special." We just want an education and an environment to do our work, etc.

My office has electricity and lights and various chairs and desks to put computers on. This isn't "special." It's what we all need to do our work.

Likewise, someone on the spectrum might need a little more quiet and isolation, but they need less handholding and motivation.

Seeing our needs as "special" is part of the problem. They are not. They are just different.

I don't belive in special treatment however I do believe in equity getting treated in a way to boost us to the levels of NT.

Yes in employment and education. I think emotional educations would help too. also in employment where special agencies and employment opportunities are available

It is a "trick question" and on so many levels. The first thing that comes to mind is to acknowledge the spectrum of autism. That some may always require a degree of support while others may not at all.

Secondly you have to factor in the politics of those who don't support the very concept of a modern welfare state in whole or even in part. Social Darwinism in the 21st century may be construed as intellectually bankrupt, but our reality is that there are still a great many in the body politic who support such notions, which can potentially run completely contrary to the very concept of the wants and needs of a modern welfare state.

And thirdly you have to consider that in most cases all such concerns revolve around the dynamics of a democracy, where majority rule doesn't always ensure "the greatest good for the greatest number". Where it's always possible that those with very different agendas who may legally gain power and attempt to attenuate or even dismantle various aspects of the welfare state.

When you look at it all from this perspective, sadly you realize that those on the spectrum of autism are more or less at the bottom of such a power struggle. Dependent largely on the compassion of others which from time to time may or may not constitute a political majority.

In other words, such considerations are at the mercy of political thought rather than logic. All validated for better or worse by a societal rule of a mathematical majority whether based on ideology, religion, culture, neurology or other considerations.

Last edited:
The holy spirit is my savior. labels are for cans. but labels are convenient to recognize what is the issue that needs to be addressed. but God works through others to give them a way out. School of hard knocks is my teacher. but not everyone is blessed and highly favoured. there are going to be people that receive 10, 20 40 etc fold blessings. some people are chosen to suffer because if they suffered not, than how can they appreciate serenity in the storm. life needs as many doors as can be available, especially the less fortunate. depends on where you lie on the spectrum. imo some may need more help then others. I was ignored by my real father, but my abba real daddy is not of this world.

Sounds stupid right?

I think it depends. For someone that is "less high functioning" I think it should be treated more like a learning disability in schools, you know schools with accommodations and such and that's such a case by case basis for school and for employment. But for more high functioning individuals, I mean we all want to live in the NT world and get on, so I feel like there should be accommodations in schools to help us learn how to live and work in the NT environment. So that we can learn as much as possible, some things we may not be able to grasp or handle, but as much as we can. In the workplace, I think a lot of workplaces are becoming more flexible in a lot of ways. At mine, I have a laptop and a wireless headset for the phone, I can go into a private room, I can go sit on a couch or a ball, I can play with fidget toys, walk around, etc. all while doing my work. These aren't special accommodations for me, anyone can do it, and so it's a work environment that I can work in very well, even though the main part of the floor is very loud and distracting to me. So I think if more employers could offer these types of things for everyone then it levels the playing field and makes things easier so you don't even need to disclose your diagnosis to obtain these things that make you work more effectively.

Schools teach the way neurotypicals learn, so yes there should be accomodations.

Workplaces shouldn't actively prevent people from working, so yes, there should be accomodations.

How much, you ask? More than there is. Ideally enough to level the playing field. I don't consider a wheelchair ramp or a designated parking space a "privilege" and I don't consider not having your ears bleed from noise pollution to be a privilege, any more than I consider it a privilege to not be tortured, not be raped, not be beaten. Basic rights, people.

I think it depends. For someone that is "less high functioning" I think it should be treated more like a learning disability in schools, you know schools with accommodations and such and that's such a case by case basis for school and for employment. But for more high functioning individuals, I mean we all want to live in the NT world and get on, so I feel like there should be accommodations in schools to help us learn how to live and work in the NT environment. So that we can learn as much as possible, some things we may not be able to grasp or handle, but as much as we can. In the workplace, I think a lot of workplaces are becoming more flexible in a lot of ways. At mine, I have a laptop and a wireless headset for the phone, I can go into a private room, I can go sit on a couch or a ball, I can play with fidget toys, walk around, etc. all while doing my work. These aren't special accommodations for me, anyone can do it, and so it's a work environment that I can work in very well, even though the main part of the floor is very loud and distracting to me. So I think if more employers could offer these types of things for everyone then it levels the playing field and makes things easier so you don't even need to disclose your diagnosis to obtain these things that make you work more effectively.

I do not know where you work, but it sounds like a company that understands a very simple fact. A company's employees can and probably will do one of two things, make them or break them. Which way it goes depends on how the employees are treated.

I answered 'both' but I think it very much depends of the person and how their ASD effects them. Personally I don't have any 'reasonable accommodations' at work, because I don't need them in order to do my job well, where as I did when I had my interview and at uni after I was diagnosed. Basically people on the spectrum should get whatever help we need in order to have the same opportunities as NT people. I also don't like the term 'special treatment', it's not about being treated specially, it about equal access.

New Threads

Top Bottom