• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

should I tell my employer?

Caitie33

Hi, I'm a self diagnosed aspie. I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was a kid but didn't start to realize I may have aspergers until I read about it in a textbook for a psych. class. By then I had already been in and out of therapy for depression, anxiety, and always felt like there was a root cause why I always felt so different my whole life. I didn't see a point in even thinking much about it until now. I have a four year old son who just started preschool and he is having a lot of trouble. I think maybe it would be a benefit to him if I was diagnosed officially or shared what I speculate with his teachers, problem is that I work for the early childhood program where he attends preschool. It is the first job I actually liked and I hope to be a pre-k instructor in a year or two but if I tell them will it ruin my chances of that? I like working with four year olds, they don't notice that I'm wierd.

Hi, I'm a self diagnosed aspie. I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was a kid but didn't start to realize I may have aspergers until I read about it in a textbook for a psych. class. By then I had already been in and out of therapy for depression, anxiety, and always felt like there was a root cause why I always felt so different my whole life. I didn't see a point in even thinking much about it until now. I have a four year old son who just started preschool and he is having a lot of trouble. I think maybe it would be a benefit to him if I was diagnosed officially or shared what I speculate with his teachers, problem is that I work for the early childhood program where he attends preschool. It is the first job I actually liked and I hope to be a pre-k instructor in a year or two but if I tell them will it ruin my chances of that? I like working with four year olds, they don't notice that I'm wierd.
I think schools would be more understanding than the corporate world, as they should have experience with special needs children and should have had training. I find that public schools seem to be better than private with this. Good luck!

Schools would be more understanding. That being said if you've got by so far without explaining to other people why you act in a certain way, do they really need to know? Unless you need specific accommodations in the workplace - things they can provide they don't actually need to know, you're under no obligation to tell anyone you don't want to.

New Threads

Top Bottom