• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sensory things that are irritating

jamesaldrin

I can't stand the noise of those hand-dryers in public bathrooms. (The loud ones that blow air on your hands to dry them.) They have one in every bathroom in my school, so whenever I open the door to someone using the dryer, I get irritated.

Similarly, I can't stand the noise of blenders, power-tools, and motor-cycles. I have to close my ears whenever I use a blender.

Lots of clothes are irritating to me. I dislike jackets because they make me feel sick when I wear them. Nauseous. Certain types of sweaters feel annoying against my skin. Anything with a collar irritates me. Clothing tags irritate me, and I am aware that this is common among people with Autism. Wearing clothes in hot weather is irritating.

I get motion sickness in cars. I also get sick just from the smell of cars, similarly to jackets.

I'm sure that there are a lot more that I don't remember now.

Powertools and clothing tags are the worst. Sometimes nothing is allowed to touch my skin as I get itchy all over, but I know this is a skin condition as well.
What annoys me most is when people bump into me. Doesn't matter who it is, it's like a volcano of rage erupts in me at that moment. Luckily I'm able to keep my reaction limited to a short wince.
Other things are... interesting. I got a new shower head last week and I swear when the shower is on it sounds like the Banana Guards from Adventure Time.

I can't stand the noise of those hand-dryers in public bathrooms. (The loud ones that blow air on your hands to dry them.) They have one in every bathroom in my school, so whenever I open the door to someone using the dryer, I get irritated.

Similarly, I can't stand the noise of blenders, power-tools, and motor-cycles. I have to close my ears whenever I use a blender.

Lots of clothes are irritating to me. I dislike jackets because they make me feel sick when I wear them. Nauseous. Certain types of sweaters feel annoying against my skin. Anything with a collar irritates me. Clothing tags irritate me, and I am aware that this is common among people with Autism. Wearing clothes in hot weather is irritating.

I get motion sickness in cars. I also get sick just from the smell of cars, similarly to jackets.

have you ever tried using the disabled toilets? these are often situated away from the regular block of toilets so there is little to no noise from the hand dryers and with your aspergers/autism sensory needs you are completely entitled to use disabled toilets.
i do because i have exactly the same issue with hand dryers [but i also have personal care needs to and need the space for my support staff to be with me],i have a RADAR key that opens up a lot of disabled toilets in the UK.

you probably have forgotten a lot of sensory issues,its a pretty complex subject.

my main sensory issues are noise,i use industrial ear defenders everywhere and earplugs at night,sometimes i use the ear defenders while in bed to, if i dont do this i fall to the floor and smash my head on the floor and can also trigger my epileptic seizures.

clothes are another sensory issue,i like having no clothes on [just my nappy and my sports bra],all clothes hurt me and scratch me,but i have to tolerate them when cold [which takes a lot for me but my apartment is freezing] or when going out,i used to strip off outside up until a few years ago as i loved the fresh air on my skin and the feel of the drive when lying down,i was frogmarched back in by my two support staff every time and told off like a naughty child.

water on my skin,up until my late twenties i had to wash with baby wipes,water on my skin felt like how dragging glass down your skin should feel,i was left in agony by it and it would trigger my behaviors.
i had sensory integration therapy which allowed me to tolerate water with a wetsuit on and go in a shower now,but i still feel agony i just dont react to it like i used to.

food, i have to have only one meal a day at 11.30pm and its got to be very specific textures and colours,i have a very restricted variety of foods because of smell,texture,colour and feel.

sense of smell, i CANNOT tolerate perfume,if any support staff come in my apartment with perfume on i feel physically sick and get a major headache and it triggers my behaviors.
ive told the company time and time again,please ask their staff and put on the advert for agency staff that they must have no perfume on because of my severe sensory issues and they dont listen.

my visual perception, its absolutely 'unique' to put it one way to put it another way it is a big problem for me,i see things in colour and lines these come together quite slowly to make their forms and i struggle to process what i see,humans are part of the background to me but i process animals very well.
i do best combining vision with touch.

Regarding to sound I canno't stand blenders as well, sometimes when I'm walking on the street there are this "chinese" general stores or another's that market their place with loud music out front and that just piss me off.

Repetitive sounds at night while I try to sleep are anoyg as well, some drops on the ceiling like: "tap...tap...tap..." anoys me.

On touch I really get a "gross sensation" every time I touch someting cold and wet on the fridge like the mayonaisse bottle or a bag, touching something covered with anoter food just disgust me a lot, like a keptuch bottle that touched a wet fruit. It is because of it I can't wash plates without gloves.

And idk why, maybe for past experiences I cant's stand romantic music, it just really gives something on my throat, like if I needed to puke...no joke really.

Repetitive sounds at night while I try to sleep are anoyg as well, some drops on the ceiling like: "tap...tap...tap..." anoys me.

I made us change bedrooms in our house partly because I prefer to sleep with the windows open, but next door has a pipe that goes outside that leaks and drip drip drips all night onto the table in their garden. I would just lie there for hours getting more and more annoyed.

Clothing tags and certain fabrics annoy the living hell out of me, sirens from emergency vehicles are a big one. Fire alarms, screaming babies/children, wearing socks, collars on tops that are too high (like men's t-shirts, where the collar is high around the neck).

There's probably more :rolleyes:

In regards to the air dryers in public bathrooms: The regular ones are bad, but those jet engine ones are the worst. I've been known to rush out of the bathroom sans handwashing just to get the hell away from them.

I'd love to get a hold of a sound meter and see how many decibels they actually pump out.

Anything around my neck like shirts, ties, scarves. I wear a suit to meetings with just a t-shirt so I don't ever wear collars now.

Noises at night when I'm trying to sleep really gets me angry, and I go through a cycle off trying to keep calm and sleep, and then anger building again. The worst is when I've gone camping and some #**## plays loud music. I go camping for peace and to be in nature, not to hear your party!

Any loud droning type noise like power tools and heavy plant. Motorcycles are ok, and I rode a loud bike for years. Maybe it did add to overload, and the wind noise gets very loud.

I hate spiky wool clothes and metal wound guitar strings too. Also any plastic that has tiny ridges like guitar strings, and I won't touch it as it goes through me.

The worst is when I've gone camping and some #**## plays loud music. I go camping for peace and to be in nature, not to hear your party!

We have the problem of loud music at home. We have awful neighbours. I've lost count of the amount of times I've called the police 101 number and they've come out because things have descended into an argument between the couple who live there...which almost always ends up out in the street..

Yeah, I hate the intense hand dryers, too....

My big ones are noisy neighbors who listen to music, talk loudly, or watch movies that I can hear. It's usually not loud, but I literally cannot ignore it at all and it makes me so angry. Music is especially hard for me to ignore-- I love music (and I used to go to a conservatory!) but I CAN'T ignore it. Basically, I don't like noises in my apartment I can't control. My husband and I visited his sister a couple of weeks ago, and she's been having terrible noisy neighbors-- we could hear them when we were there, even. It didn't bother me there (because we were about to go shopping anyways and it wasn't my apartment), but it astonished me that, even though my sister-in-law was clearly annoyed, she could still carry on a conversation and live her life. Haha, I just go insane and start getting mad at everyone....

I've always hated fleece clothes... they made me feel nauseous and gross. I never liked noisy jackets like windbreakers. Actually, I suppose I don't like a lot of heavy, warm clothes. I never wear enormous hoodies (only light ones) or chunky sweaters.

When I was a kid, I refused to wear jeans, but now I'm fine with them and wear them constantly, so there's that!

I hate labels in clothes, especially papery ones. I can't wear lace or wool as I find them both itchy. I never wear hairy things/fur/fake fur. It can be embarrassing when I get presents and the person wants me to try it on.
I was so relieved when I got my diagnosis and found out that this is normal and not me being awkward.

One way to address the noise sensitivity is what my husband does. He carries ear plugs in his pocket so he can put them in when he uses one of those hand dryers. This could also work for other loud noises you have to be around. Those hand dryers are the worst! I hate them, too, and I'm not autistic. They make a lot of tagless clothing these days; look for those. Dramamine is an over the counter medication that a lot of people take for motion sickness. Good luck and God bless...

Yeah, I hate the intense hand dryers, too....

My big ones are noisy neighbors who listen to music, talk loudly, or watch movies that I can hear. It's usually not loud, but I literally cannot ignore it at all and it makes me so angry. Music is especially hard for me to ignore-- I love music (and I used to go to a conservatory!) but I CAN'T ignore it. Basically, I don't like noises in my apartment I can't control. My husband and I visited his sister a couple of weeks ago, and she's been having terrible noisy neighbors-- we could hear them when we were there, even. It didn't bother me there (because we were about to go shopping anyways and it wasn't my apartment), but it astonished me that, even though my sister-in-law was clearly annoyed, she could still carry on a conversation and live her life. Haha, I just go insane and start getting mad at everyone....

I've always hated fleece clothes... they made me feel nauseous and gross. I never liked noisy jackets like windbreakers. Actually, I suppose I don't like a lot of heavy, warm clothes. I never wear enormous hoodies (only light ones) or chunky sweaters.

When I was a kid, I refused to wear jeans, but now I'm fine with them and wear them constantly, so there's that!
As I advised someone else, ear plugs can help with the noise issues and are not noticeable.

Anything around my neck like shirts, ties, scarves. I wear a suit to meetings with just a t-shirt so I don't ever wear collars now.

Noises at night when I'm trying to sleep really gets me angry, and I go through a cycle off trying to keep calm and sleep, and then anger building again. The worst is when I've gone camping and some #**## plays loud music. I go camping for peace and to be in nature, not to hear your party!

Any loud droning type noise like power tools and heavy plant. Motorcycles are ok, and I rode a loud bike for years. Maybe it did add to overload, and the wind noise gets very loud.

I hate spiky wool clothes and metal wound guitar strings too. Also any plastic that has tiny ridges like guitar strings, and I won't touch it as it goes through me.
Ear plugs might help you!

For me smell is the biggest problem. There are so many smells I dislike, and I can't focus on anything else if something smells bad to me. I'm also very picky with foods because of both smell and texture. I'm also really sensitive to strong light which is a problem. Some days are worse than others and I have to stay inside with minimal lighting all day.

Ear plugs might help you!
I always take ear plugs when camping, and I used to have some next to my bed just in case of noisy neighbours.

Ear plugs are normally rated against dangerous noise types though, like wind and machinery, and they are normally built to let through speech. Added to which, a lot of noise comes through your skull, so for me, they only helped a bit as I can still hear music that I can't shut out, even if it's dulled.

let me count the ways... back when I had much more acute hearing, the 15.75 kilocycle horizontal scan whistle emitting from the rear of CRT television sets, drilled through my head palpably. rap music is an offensive sensory invasion IMHO. phonographic clicks and pops and groove roar and rumble and hiss are also offensive and I've invested much $$$$ in eliminating such from my phonographic music recordings. tape hiss is obnoxious as well. distortions in general are nasty, visual or aural. 2-stroke engines in full cry. fireworks and gunfire likewise. people with harsh voices, ugh. I know a relation whose voice is like an air-raid siren or air horn. I knew somebody, a basso profundo, whose stentorian bass saxophone-esque voice made me have to put distance between him and myself. squeaks and rattles in jalopies drive me MAD!

I turn my socks inside out too. Some washing machines and some lights have sounds I can't stand. Lights hum and that is annoying. And some washing machines have this noise I can't describe. It's true the washing machine gives me a headache at times but it isn't really a physical thing as much as from Asperger's Syndrome.
And foods-If I don't like the smell then I don't like the taste. It annoys me how some people say that if you haven't tried a food you don't know if you will like it because that isn't always true for me. Rarely true if it is a food I can smell.

The feel of cotton swabs physically hurts for some reason. I also can't stand anything around my neck, like scarves, headphones, jewellery, and even collars. The more anxious I am the worse it gets, till I have to tug my shirt collar down or else I start gagging.

Sounds really bother me too, like blenders, sirens, motorcycles, and the deep noise that cars make when someone is playing music loudly with the windows rolled up. I also hate the sound of footsteps, especially if it is above me.

Food can be a big trigger for me too, as I don't taste very well so I rely on texture. I can't stand the texture of tofu, mushrooms, squash, ect...

I can't stand the sound of motorbikes, bagpipes and screaming babies/children. Lights that flicker are annoying as well. Any sudden, loud and unexpected noise I can't tolerate. The sound of fake laughter in sitcoms (yes, I'm talking about you Chuck Lorre). Fingernails on blackboards.

New Threads

Top Bottom