• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Self Diagnosis; Why the Controversy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he means the supremacist tone that some of your posts have followed. You have talked like an aspie supremacist in some of your posts, talking about how NT's are supposedly inferior or something.

Oh for goodness sake, just GO AWAY! Either provide the evidence that I was indulging in some "supremacy", or just disappear. Your accusation is ludicrous, and you know it.

Until a purely scientific method arises which will diagnose Autism inexpensively, this debate will rage. I've heard of interesting advances with MRI and more research is being done with genetics. I feel an answer will not be too many years away, but that's just personal opinion. And hope.

There is a similar topic elsewhere in the forum. Instead of rewriting what I wrote there, I'm cutting and pasting from my post, as well as from a message I sent someone else (these my words only!):

"... the "self diagnosis" option on here is not a formal, medical diagnosis. Speaking for myself, if someone finds they have the hallmarks of a spectrum disorder but don't have a piece of paper stating such, self diagnosed is a good way to let others know where they stand.

My 12 year old was diagnosed just recently. He SHOULD have been dx HFA/Aspergers at age 5, when we first brought him to the first neurologist because I knew then he was on the spectrum, but because I had worked so hard to help him deal with his sensory and social issues (not 100% successful mind you), he didn't quite fit the criteria; he wound up with an ADHD dx instead. And it became clear pretty quickly that addressing his issues from an ADHD point of view wasn't working; I learned to meet with his teachers before school started to suggest they deal with him as a kid on the spectrum. Those that did were able to connect with him in a meaningful way.

So he wasn't technically self diagnosed since I was the one who figured it out but all the same, we knew. And learned to let those who interacted with him know. It took 3 neuros and 7 years to finally have a medical professional see what we saw..."

and

"Keep in mind though, most folks here are looking for validation of what they are experiencing, not excuses. Are all of the self diagnosed here actually on the spectrum? Doubtful. Some may not fully understand themselves enough. Other might have other issues which resemble areas affected by autism. Heck, are there some shitheads here who are technically NT and use the self diagnosis option for reasons of control or manipulation ? I suspect so; then again, those idiots are everywhere. But that doesn't mean it's an invalid description for many on the site.

And speaking from a personal point of view, self diagnosis very much has it's place. Whilst pregnant with my son, I had some weird symptoms. My Ob/Gyn didn't put the pieces together, but I went online and looked them up. Google sent me to a website about Cholestasis of Pregnancy, a rather rare pregnancy complication. At my next doc visit I insisted on being tested for it. I was right; turns out I did have it and my son was delivered a month early. Otherwise he would have been stillborn at full term.

And yes, I needed an official doctor's diagnosis for treatment, but treatment is not what many people who frequent the site are seeking. I know this is cliched, but if it looks, walks, and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck. If someone finds they fit the description of a spectrum disorder and it explains things they have dealt with most of their lives, chances are they probably are on it somewhere. Since "self diagnosed" isn't a medical diagnosis, I personally don't see it as a problem; IMHO it's a way of letting others know how you perceive yourself, and finding some validation for what you are experiencing."

I was right; turns out I did have it and my son was delivered a month early. Otherwise he would have been stillborn at full term.

Amazing how the world turns on a thread sometimes.

Without your inquisitive search of Google the world would have been denied all the good he'll do in his life.

Just read an article about Polynesian Wayfinders where the term "broad autism phenotype" was mentioned. Researchers suggest that possibly 5% of the population may fall under this heading, having autistic traits but not being severe enough to be able to receive a diagnosis of autism.
Interesting article if anyone is interested in Polynesia.

Oh for goodness sake, just GO AWAY! Either provide the evidence that I was indulging in some "supremacy", or just disappear. Your accusation is ludicrous, and you know it.

That is actually exactly what I meant and if you continue to be aggressive and rude actions will be taken.

This subject matter polarized forum members in the past.
Staff consensus is that the thread be locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom