• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Romances Trigger Me

Blue

I can't watch romance movies or shows without getting deeply depressed. Even shows like 'Friends' triggers me. It's such a rose tinted fabrication.

I can't watch romance movies or shows without getting deeply depressed. Even shows like 'Friends' triggers me. It's such a rose tinted fabrication.

I'd agree with your rose tinted fabrication. It perhaps wouldn't make watchable T.V if it was a true representation of every day life for the common or garden Mr and Mrs Joe Bloggs.
That said Blue, I don't actually know enough people to be certain that others don't actually live their lives like that :)

I find I'm not triggered by such because I personally believe the script writers exaggerate or sensationalise the senarios and scenes for the screen. To make watchable T.V programmes. In my own mind I feel it isn't real so it doesn't have any effect on me when and if I watch it.

I am not triggered by romances etc. Because I consider it to be fiction, just like Star Wars or Battle Star Galactica.

I just don't care for romance movies.
They make me feel a bit disgusted because I never felt really romantic for anyone the way it is portrayed in movies so it is a bit silly or boring to me.
I watch TV at night with the man I live with because he doesn't want to watch alone. He put Pearl Harbor on the other night. I thought it would be a typical war movie, but, holy cow, the first half of it made me want to get up and run. It was nothing but two guys in love with the same nurse and scenes of how the troops were stumbling all over themselves to find romance with the girls, etc.
It's like that empathy thread again, how do you relate to something you've never felt?

For some reason there is one romance movie I really like: Somewhere in Time. Maybe it's because the love seems so truly real it could never be in this life. Like chasing a dream.

Went to see The Dark Tower last night. :rolleyes:

I don't like romance movies, unless they're really funny. Most of the movies that are marketed as being perfect for a ladies night are instantly dismissed by me. They don't depress me, I just find them boring and unrealistic.

i understand how you feel. it makes me angry because real life romance does not work like that and everything just seems so cliche and perfect. in literature it just bores me because i would rather get on with the story than just feel as if i am snooping on the characters private lives.

I find romance movies to be really boring unless the characters have chemistry in the storyline. Even if they do have chemistry, it's never really love just a fabrication. I'd rather watch a romantic comedy mostly because of the outlandish things that the characters do.

I'd agree with your rose tinted fabrication. It perhaps wouldn't make watchable T.V if it was a true representation of every day life for the common or garden Mr and Mrs Joe Bloggs.
That said Blue, I don't actually know enough people to be certain that others don't actually live their lives like that :)

I find I'm not triggered by such because I personally believe the script writers exaggerate or sensationalise the senarios and scenes for the screen. To make watchable T.V programmes. In my own mind I feel it isn't real so it doesn't have any effect on me when and if I watch it.

I agree 100%. I see it as fake, stuffed with fake, and with fake icing on top. My wife who is dominate NT, sees it as how we should be.... as I'm laughing my ass off, thinking she's out of her head. Geez...

"Sure I would love to Chandler, but he's not ASD, not remotely." And my wife says, "Then choose not to be ASD..." Grrr... We actually had this conversation, that is why I chimed in. She also watches "reality" shows... The bachelor, runway something??? and some other crap... I just put on the headphones and take myself out of that NON reality poop, that they are calling "reality"... Who has a messed up head in this case? : )

I agree 100%. I see it as fake, stuffed with fake, and with fake icing on top. My wife who is dominate NT, sees it as how we should be.... as I'm laughing my ass off, thinking she's out of her head. Geez...

"Sure I would love to Chandler, but he's not ASD, not remotely." And my wife says, "Then choose not to be ASD..." Grrr... We actually had this conversation, that is why I chimed in. She also watches "reality" shows... The bachelor, runway something??? and some other crap... I just put on the headphones and take myself out of that NON reality poop, that they are calling "reality"... Who has a messed up head in this case? : )

Also trying not to rant, or blow a main blood vessel in my head... She feels I truly need to be "romantic" like these "actors" who might even be gay in real life... who knows, who cares? The fact is... ITS NOT REAL, but she wants it to be real. I see no romance in that at any level. Actually it turns my stomach because she has silently told me I am worthless if I cant perform at those levels (which I can not)... And she never sees that, ever. Screw romance if thats what its all about.
Sorry rant is over now... : )

Let's guess what Flinty's going to say...

Romance is a genre, just like any other, with its good and bad. Wait...I'm trying now to think of a romance that I didn't like. Oh, yes, the eleven-year torture of Niles and Daphne that made an otherwise great show unbearable at times, especially in the later years. (And why didn't they name Daphne "Ruth"? That would have been one of the all-time great puns.)

Because Niles's wife was named Maris.

I mean is society so horribly that we have to delude ourselves and drink just to get through the day? It's like the REM song 'Intimation of Life'.

New Threads

Top Bottom