• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Retro computer and video gaming.

sonnesun

I love it. I grew up in the 1980's, and owned a Commodore 16 back in 1984 and then a Commodore 64 around 1987, up until 1995. I got back into it all around 2005. I acquired both machines again on eBay.

Both the C16 and C64 are now souped up with modern SD card technology, no more tapes or disks and instant loading. Plus a lot more new techy addons asides. Games all downloaded freely from the internet, along with many brand new games still being released regularly to this day by enthusiasts. My C64 also has WiFi internet, I can browse bulletin boards hosted by other commie users and download straight onto the SD Card. The retro gaming scene today is massive. I've been to a few exhibitions in recent years meeting fellow geeks.

Since I've recently joined here after discovering I'm likely an Aspie, I'm only now beginning to understand my geekiness likely stems from this. An emotional immaturity which made me feel safe when I was young, and still to this day.

Anyway, here are my two YouTube retro gaming channels.

https://www.youtube.com/user/16plus4equals264

http://tinyurl.com/retroscener

Anybody with similar interests? :)

Last edited:
My brother still has his original Nintendo and Super Nintendo. I still play the heck out of Tetris games on both platforms. Not exactly retro gaming (at least not to me), but most kids don't know the simple joys of those platforms, nor the INSANE difficulty levels on some of those games!!

I grew up on an old Tandy laptop that had a DOS OS, I gamed by switching disks in two different drives all the time. That old "laptop" weighed about 12 pounds and couldn't fit in your lap....but so many good memories playing Reader Rabbit.

My legacy system is right out of circa 2002 running Windows XP with all kinds of games from the late 80s to late 90s and early 2000s.

Pentium 4 2.4 ghz, 1.5 GB RAM with a Leadtek GeForce 3 Ti200 video card and ASUS P4B266 motherboard. The only real updates are a new power supply, wireless chiclet keyboard, and a Logitech wireless mouse. Still running my original Gravis Blackhawk joystick connected through my original Creative Labs Soundblaster Pro audio card and a Pioneer DVD recorder.

Oh yeah...I still have an Iomega Zip Drive in one of the 5.25" drive bays that I virtually never use...lol. And an InClose removable drive bay.

I purchase a Coleco Adam earlier this year. A friend of mine convince me to get it. Found it a very neat machine.

I purchase a Coleco Adam earlier this year. A friend of mine convince me to get it. Found it a very neat machine.
The Adam wasn't without its problems it seems though. I think I have a video of me playing a Colecovision console in one of my videos on my retroscener page. Great little console, terrible joystick though.

I am more drawn to the early 8-bit home microcomputers rather than the consoles. The ZX Spectrum and BBC also particularly interest me. I think the reason is due to the fact that they are far more limited to what you can produce for them rather than on modern platforms which practically has unlimited possibilities anyway so no real limitations (yawn). So programmers tend to find neat new tricks to get more out of the limited hardware and memory than previously thought possible. Even to this day with new game releases particularly on the Commodore 8-bits they don't fail to surprise me. It's more than just about the games, it's also about the amazing technical achievements, which impresses me far more than with more modern machines

Check this out.
Dragon's Lair for the ZX81

Last edited:
I am more drawn to the early 8-bit home microcomputers rather than the consoles.
Right but Coleco Adam is a home computers which is why I listed for your thread.
I did found someone sells many ad-ons for the Adam including able to read software from SD card. I wanted to do a null modem setup between the Adam and modern computer that can access a file share.

Check this out.
Dragon's Lair for the ZX81
The intro is neat.

Super Mario World on the SNES was class, shame I never completed more than the first few levels of World 1.

One of the best games on the SNES though, which is still my benchmark for Console Tennis games, was Super Tennis, that game was awesome! 25 years later there's still only a handful of Tennis games that come close, such as Virtua Tennis 2009 on Xbox 360, Top Spin on 360, and Tennis on Kinect Sports and its sequels.

Last edited:
My favourite is Sonic the Hedgehog. I used to own a Sega Mega Drive . Since I upgraded to a PS2, I bought the discs of the same games. They're all up in the loft somewhere.

my favourite retro game is asteroids,its so simple but down right addictive.
my first computer was the commodore 64 at 5 yrs old,i loved games like monty the mole on the run and dizzy,and i loved getting the magazine;zzap even though i couldnt read it;cause it came with a great game tape every issue.

my favourite retro game is asteroids,its so simple but down right addictive.
my first computer was the commodore 64 at 5 yrs old,i loved games like monty the mole on the run and dizzy,and i loved getting the magazine;zzap even though i couldnt read it;cause it came with a great game tape every issue.
I used to buy Zzap64 every month too. The cover tapes were great, many great free classic full games, plus the odd playable demo of the latest. You can buy JPG scans of all their issues on DVD from their website to view on PC, including other Commodore magazines. I have Zzap64/Commodore Force, Commodore Format, Commodore User, Your Commodore/YC, Commodore Horizons, Commodore Disk User and C&VG on DVD now. I am also one of the very few to have most scanned issues of Commodore Computing International. But they haven't been released to the public yet, not until the whole collection is found and scanned if ever.

I used to buy Zzap64 every month too. The cover tapes were great, many great free classic full games, plus the odd playable demo of the latest. You can buy JPG scans of all their issues on DVD from their website to view on PC, including other Commodore magazines. I have Zzap64/Commodore Force, Commodore Format, Commodore User, Your Commodore/YC, Commodore Horizons, Commodore Disk User and C&VG on DVD now. I am also one of the very few to have most scanned issues of Commodore Computing International. But they haven't been released to the public yet, not until the whole collection is found and scanned if ever.
oh wow,nice one id love to see it again ill check their website out thanks for that tip off sonnesun.

what were your favourite c64 games?

oh wow,nice one id love to see it again ill check their website out thanks for that tip off sonnesun.

what were your favourite c64 games?
There are Zzap64 scans to view online too. But it's def better to buy the DVD's. Unfortunately Future Publishing slapped a ban on sales of Commodore Format DVD's, but you should be able to find them on torrent sites :smirk:

My favourite classic C64 game is probably Wizball. I got so good at it that I could clock it over and over with endless lives, technically game over once I reached the max score of 999,999 points, lol. I mostly play new C64 releases though these days. Occasionally I may have a blast on Paradroid, Buggy Boy or the original 1984 Football Manager though.

New games are being released all the time, and I mean loads, so the C64 is far from dead. Especially if you buy a real C64 plus the 1541u2 cartridge :sunglasses:

http://www.1541ultimate.net/content/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=42&Itemid=20

They recently remade Ghosts'n'Goblins, and Bombjack DX is currently being finished. Much better than the originals. Also a huge brand new platform console style game is about to be released in the new year called "Sam's Journey" which promises to break new grounds on the old breadbin rivalling consoles, and it looks amazing. Check out the Lemon64 forum for the latest news and chit-chat, that's the main place to visit :smirk:

While I've had a bunch of consoles and games in my life I've never been much of a gamer. I still have my gameboy colour and original playstation and I bought one of those smaller Sega Megadrives from Argos that includes 80 games including Virtua Fighter which I used to love and even bought a PC version of years ago.

I haven't used it much, I hope the batteries haven't leaked and ruined it.

I grew up on Nes/Snes. Snes is still my favorite console to this day. In fact, I owned one up until recently along with many of the greatest titles for it. I pawned it after my whole collection, worth along the lines of $450, got stolen twice and I gave up on replacing it since all I had left was the system and controllers. I never tried the Commodore 64 although I've heard about it a great deal in Game History class. I'm working on studying programming and math now to be able to pursue my dreams of becoming a Game Designer.

I have lots of retro stuff, I've been collecting since long before 'retro' was really a big thing so all the stuff was so cheap I could afford to buy it with loose change.

I like the SD card systems that allow you to load data/ROMs from SD cards into the original hardware but haven't purchased any yet. I want to get them for the NES, SNES, Master System etc. because the prices of the classic games I wasn't able to find back in the day have got really crazy recently.

I have a C64 lying around somewhere, but I'm more into the old consoles.

New Threads

Top Bottom