• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Research Participation Opportunity - Depression and Anxiety in Adults with ASD

StAndrewsPhD

Introduction - My name is Scott Jackson. I am a PhD Student at the University of St Andrews (Scotland) in the School of Psychology and Neuroscience, and a younger sibling to a brother with Asperger's. As part of my PhD, I am currently running an online, questionnaire-based study that consists of two sessions, each taking about an hour to complete.

About the research - Numerous studies have reported that adults with an Autism Spectrum Condition (including Asperger's Syndrome and PDD-NOS) are more likely to experience episodes of depression or anxiety compared to their peers without a diagnosis. The purpose of this study is to investigate potential social and emotional explanations for the existence of this difference. Specifically, this study will be examining what role an individual’s internal and external reactions to emotional situations and social conflict scenarios have on their resilience/vulnerability to episodes of depression and anxiety. All data that you provide will be kept confidential and in an anonymous format. You will be asked for your name at one point when providing your consent to take part in the study. This is done solely for ethical purposes, and the only situation in which your personal information would be connected to the questionnaires you complete is if you request your data to be removed from the study.

Requirements for participation are as follows:

1. UK or USA resident

2. Age 18 - 38

3. Diagnosed with an Autism Spectrum Condition (including Asperger's Syndrome and PDD-NOS)

Contact details – If you have any questions or concerns about this study, please feel free to contact me at [email protected]

Link to research - If you would like more details about the study, or would like to express interest in participating please follow the appropriate link below:

USA Residents - Study Introduction

UK Residents - Study Introduction

Just curious, but why is the cut off age 38? There are many Aspies here that are older than that.

That is a good question... It has been suggested by previous research that young adulthood is a period of particular susceptibility to depression and anxiety for individuals on the autism spectrum. So we wanted to focus specifically on that population for this study.

With that said, if there are any members here who are over 38 and interested in participating, please email me directly, or respond to this thread. If there is enough interest, we may widen the age requirements as an older sample could provide a very informative comparison group for the study.

Along those lines of requirements; why only UK or US residents?

This forum has plenty of residents from other countries including myself.

Along those lines of requirements; why only UK or US residents?

This forum has plenty of residents from other countries including myself.

As compensation for the time participants take to be a part of this study they are entered into a raffle with a chance to receive one of 7 Amazon gift card prizes. The reason recruitment has been limited to US and UK residents, is that I have only received permission from my department to offer these prizes in either US Dollar or GB Pound denominations.

If someone, like yourself, is from a country other than the US or UK and would like to participate in the study, I would be grateful for their input. Should you want to participate and still be entered into the raffle despite the currency options, choose the link that corresponds to the type of currency you would want your Amazon gift card to be issued in (should you be selected during the raffle process). Alternatively, if you would like to participate without being entered into the raffle, email me directly and I will set that up for you.

New Threads

Top Bottom