• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Proof of disability for concessions

As sweet as-pie

Apologies if this thread has already been covered.

I got my diagnosis back in february and I'm in the process of applying for PIP. I haven't been awarded it yet, and I know that for the most part, the DLA/PIP award letter is what people use for proof of disability when trying to get a concession price for attractions etc.

I'm going on a break this weekend and will be visiting a landmark, the organisation say that disabled people and their carers get in for free. Usually for those with limited mobility, documented evidence is not needed however for someone like me, who's disability is for the most part invisible, I'll definitely need some kind of proof.

I have looked into access cards to make this easier and although I probably will apply for one in future, I don't have enough time on this occasion.

I need someone with me at all times and so it's not unreasonable to get my boyfriend (also my carer) in for free as I couldn't be there without him. I honestly wouldn't mind paying for myself but the way they do it, neither of us have to pay.

My question is
Will my diagnosis letter be enough proof of my disability? (at their discretion)

Apologies if this thread has already been covered.

I got my diagnosis back in february and I'm in the process of applying for PIP. I haven't been awarded it yet, and I know that for the most part, the DLA/PIP award letter is what people use for proof of disability when trying to get a concession price for attractions etc.

I'm going on a break this weekend and will be visiting a landmark, the organisation say that disabled people and their carers get in for free. Usually for those with limited mobility, documented evidence is not needed however for someone like me, who's disability is for the most part invisible, I'll definitely need some kind of proof.

I have looked into access cards to make this easier and although I probably will apply for one in future, I don't have enough time on this occasion.

I need someone with me at all times and so it's not unreasonable to get my boyfriend (also my carer) in for free as I couldn't be there without him. I honestly wouldn't mind paying for myself but the way they do it, neither of us have to pay.

My question is
Will my diagnosis letter be enough proof of my disability? (at their discretion)

It wholly depends on the place. If possible, I would contact them. I've emailed places before to see what they will accept, as some say a DLA/PIP letter, some will accept seeing a blue badge and others have wanted to see my husband's CVI (certificate of visual impairment).

It wholly depends on the place. If possible, I would contact them. I've emailed places before to see what they will accept, as some say a DLA/PIP letter, some will accept seeing a blue badge and others have wanted to see my husband's CVI (certificate of visual impairment).

I'll probably get someone to ring them a few days before just to make sure. Thanks for your reply!

It's unusual to get a carer in for free at most attractions in the UK if you aren't in receipt of the higher rate mobility component of PIP. This is one thing I am campaigning for currently at UK football clubs. I have argued that people with Autism / Aspergers often need to go to football matches with a friend to accompany them otherwise the stress caused by going alone would stop them from going. Yet they have to pay for the friend / carer whilst physically disabled people can get a carer in for free. Having a condition like Autism / Aspergers can be just as much a barrier to not attending a football match than that of being in a wheelchair for example.

Only active people with Aspergers / Autism and associated anxiety / panic / sensory difficulties can not be awarded the particular rate of PIP that would qualify them for free carer entry.

Usually with my PIP I can get small reductions for my admittance price at UK attractions on production of my award letter but it's nowhere near the benefits afforded to people on the higher rates. Not that i'm complaining. I'm just happy to be getting anything at all..

New Threads

Top Bottom