• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Polyglots and echolalia

I hope you will talk to somebody at Google and give yourself a chance to learn more and translate more. It doesn't have to be at Google, but that might be the easiest way to get started since you go there a lot anyway.
For a long time I have been depressed and kept in fear of expressing my talents because I have been considered a freak and a devil because I speak many tongues, and such so been reluctant but slowly coming out of the darkness trying to give things ago and be free and see how things go,
Katy Perrys song has kinda inspired me to who who I am and what I can do.

In the end if I don't move up to that it doesn't matter, I just have fun learning languages and such and like communicating with people of other cultures and wanting to connect, it is entertaining for me and interesting, a new hobby as it is.

i do this to a limited extent the big thing with me is i pick up accents, and will frequently switch between accents in my speech(to the point that people from my home town ask me where i come from.), also i have the habit of picking up insults in different languages.

Echolalia is a fascinating ability. When my non-verbal nephew was a small child, I thought his form of communication was through echolalia. He would answer questions and try to communicate his thoughts by quoting dialogue from TV shows such as Sesame Street. A lot of the time I could tell what he was trying to say even though it was a muppet's words and tone. He's in his mid-twenties now and still does it a lot, but now it's more likely to be something he learned on Judge Judy or game shows. If I listen closely, I can often decipher what he is saying. He's a determined young man who finds his voice that way. He also does a lot of talking out loud to himself which we call "self-talk". If I listen closely, I often can decipher his meaning from what he apparently is saying to himself.

I can translate easily, the more i learn the more i can translate.

Cool. I want to build this place one day...where autistic folks can live free of NTs in a cozy environment and make/create stiff they are interested in. I'll probably be dead before that happens! And I believe many on the spectrum would opt to do other things. I think all are meant for a particular function. Your skill seems cool in that place I want to make just because it would only. Be one international location, so someone would need to speak other languages. I don't know...enjoy picking the languages up!

Cool. I want to build this place one day...where autistic folks can live free of NTs in a cozy environment and make/create stiff they are interested in. I'll probably be dead before that happens! And I believe many on the spectrum would opt to do other things. I think all are meant for a particular function. Your skill seems cool in that place I want to make just because it would only. Be one international location, so someone would need to speak other languages. I don't know...enjoy picking the languages up!

What is preventing you from immediately building such a place? You're NT according to your profile page, as am I. Go for it!

What is preventing you from immediately building such a place? You're NT according to your profile page, as am I. Go for it!

No financial resources mainly. Or recognition from the NT world that I exist. My best attempt to gain those so far has been to spend 3 years writing a book to connect up with other NTs who are interested in looking at something with me. I put it for sale too for the resources part....there are actually 2 things I want to start. One for NT purposes, the other for autistic. They'd both be working towards a similar overall goal, just not together. Anyhow, NTs are at present not on board. No one reads my book because nothing has said its socially acceptable to do so (I.e. Book reviews). I'm open to the fact that it's terrible, just wish a few folks would read it to tell me so.

I think the NT place could/should be funded by other NTs however, I would prefer to fund the autistic place myself with my husband (on the spectrum) to keep it safe.

Maybe it's all a timing issue? NTs seem to work on a collective timetable.

Sorry aspieotaku, won't take over your thread with a separate convo anymore!

That sounds good. It will be better for you to use that gift. I don't understand about what the badges mean. I do get it that you seem to be planning to move forward towards using your translation gift.

For a long time I have been depressed and kept in fear of expressing my talents because I have been considered a freak and a devil because I speak many tongues, and such so been reluctant but slowly coming out of the darkness trying to give things ago and be free and see how things go,
Katy Perrys song has kinda inspired me to who who I am and what I can do.
That was an inspiring song. I liked it. Thanks for sharing it.

A good combination of echolalia, curiousity and memory retention is the key those on the spectrum have that potential, maybe not as much for those with tourretes but those with tourretes do not give up if you practice interest and memory retention you could possibly do it too.

This NT is awesome, maybe cool NTs like Buzzerfly can join as well, I like NTs like Buzzer, and NT Geeks, there are pretty smart and understanding NTs out there.

echolalia has made it easier for me to learn german bc i love vocal stimming with some of the words bc of how fun and bouncy it sounds, same with french, hopefully i can be a polyglot someday lol

xxxxxx
I've been curious about echolalia. How did you progress from the childhood baby talk to mimicking foreign languages?
Is it that you have a good ear and memory recall for sound that translates to language?
Do you remember any communication difficulties growing up because of it?
The time I learned as a baby I spoke this baby language, my sister borderlining on the spectrum caught on to the sounds and tones I made and we established the language, I can barely remember when I was a baby but at times it was like we both spoke English and nobody understood so she translated for me at times to my parents of what I wanted and needed, after that I just copied phrases what my parents said in English as a means of communication and figuring things out.

In the end I am just a human parrot, I hear I mimic, back and retain what is said as a means to communicate back to all other humans, it is an adaptation as well as a curiousity thing as a means to communicating with other humans at the same time of not only learning new things but entertaining myself and wanting to learn more. It is almost involuntary. Sometimes in my sleep I speak foreign languages, my mom witnessed a few times same with my sister it was weird.

As mentioned in an earlier thread (What language can you speak?), I'm supposed to be "good at languages", whatever that means. To elaborate on that last clause, it strikes me that in the UK we regard linguistic ability as a rarefied skill that only an elite can possess. It doesn't help that many pupils don't learn a foreign language until Year 10 (equivalent to nineth grade in the US). Yet in other European countries (such as the Netherlands) it's regarded as a life skill that everyone can have, and as they teach foreign languages from early on in primary school that is pretty much the case. (There are exceptions, not least the older generation who didn't grow up with television.)

If I compare myself to other people, it's clear that I have been far more successful in retaining a knowledge of the languages I learnt at school (less so with Swedish, perhaps not so surprising given the traumatic experiences associated with it). That could be as much down to motivation as innate talent - I still cling on to the hope that I might have the chance to have a positive ex-pat experience one day, although I fear Brexit may prevent that.

However I'm not sure that I have a knack for mimicking accents that well. Or at least not consistently. In the initial stages of learning a language I can do the odd phrase but it takes me longer to feel that what's coming out of my mouth actually sounds as the language should as opposed to a disjointed set of sounds. I think my strength is more in grammar than echolalia. I've never had a problem with grammar. I can't understand why modern language teaching shies away from it. It's not that I positively enjoy reciting "der, die, das" or suchlike. I regard grammar as a toolkit for constructing sentences. Without the toolkit you're reduced to learning sentences parrot-fashion, which actually makes it harder to progress with a language. IMVHO.

New Threads

Top Bottom