• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Polyglots and echolalia

AspieOtaku

Leader of the otaku legion!
If you have echolalia, like I do you have the potential of becoming a polyglot ike myself, we are like human parrots, we memorize and repeat what others say including other languages, like in my case I live and a rather diverse international area in the United States, and learned Mandarin and speak like a native and have been picking up Hindi, Korean, Tagalog,Japanese,Thai, Vietnamese, as well as Spanish, French, Farsi and a few bits and pieces of other languages out of curiousity, repetetiveness and memory retention, omg im such a freak but I cant help it. If you have echolalia you have a potential of being a polyglot like myself, the languages I speak, I sound like a native but that is just because of my memory retention of the tones spoken of the languages spoken.

Having echolalia might be annoying to others but can be a gift, we do repeat things said to not only learn but to entertain ourselves and have the habit of repeating things said even when alone, but when curiousity comes in and other languages are said we hear, repeat what is said and learn and retain we got that gift right there. As a baby Echolalia was my way of first learning to communicate with my family in English, before that I spoke a baby language only my sister understood. My sister is on the borderline of being on the autism spectrum btw and raised me when my mother neglected and abandoned me all the way to divorce.

I've been curious about echolalia. How did you progress from the childhood baby talk to mimicking foreign languages?
Is it that you have a good ear and memory recall for sound that translates to language?
Do you remember any communication difficulties growing up because of it?

Yes and yes combined with curiousity and well memory retention, I speak mandarin now with a native accent now and even amaze Chinese folks and sounding just like a native Chinese speaker, i can also read some of the characters and speak the tones off the bat after memorizing what has been spoken. It is almost involuntarily i just pick it up.

Yes and yes combined with curiousity and well memory retention, I speak mandarin now with a native accent now and even amaze Chinese folks and sounding just like a native Chinese speaker, i can also read some of the characters and speak the tones off the bat after memorizing what has been spoken. It is almost involuntarily i just pick it up.
Sounds rather cool actually. Does it impact your life in a negative way at all?

In the end I am an odd inndividual I have more East Asian friends and Hispanic friends than other caucasians friends, I don't know whats going on I am just me, I im just multicultural and like to communicate I guess. My curiousity goes overboard and wanting to learn to connect and communicate with others.

You are the way you are for a purpose. Your polyglot abilities exist for a purpose. This link might get you started in finding out what that purpose is: Become an Interpreter - court_interpreters

They never have enough interpreters, and there you are. Your polyglot "weirdness" is a spiritual gift. You probably won't be truly happy unless you use it.

I'm terrible at learning languages, hence why I only speak one. We had to have lessons in one modern foreign language in high school, but didn't get to pick from the two on offer (French and German). I did German, and because I'm from Wales, we also had to learn Welsh too.

I do have echolalia to a point though, but I think it's probably more related to also having Tourette's. I try to keep it in check when speaking to people, bu at home I'm forever repeating random things people say on TV.

If you have echolalia, like I do you have the potential of becoming a polyglot ike myself, we are like human parrots, we memorize and repeat what others say including other languages, like in my case I live and a rather diverse international area in the United States, and learned Mandarin and speak like a native and have been picking up Hindi, Korean, Tagalog,Japanese,Thai, Vietnamese, as well as Spanish, French, Farsi and a few bits and pieces of other languages out of curiousity, repetetiveness and memory retention, omg im such a freak but I cant help it. If you have echolalia you have a potential of being a polyglot like myself, the languages I speak, I sound like a native but that is just because of my memory retention of the tones spoken of the languages spoken.
Hi aspie otaku, i guess it also depends on where you are on the spectrum because with my echolalia [continuous throughout the day,partly out of being a throwback to being nonverbal and partly as a sensory input],its mostly noises from environment or other people and copying animal sounds perfectly due to lacking language understanding as a young child,but i repeat a lot from my mother and she calls me a parot or a stuck record depending on which mood shes in.
i cant learn other languages easily let alone my native language,language based languages to me are incredibly difficult,but i am good at understanding the inner workings of a computer,im just not a language sortof person. :)

Sounds rather cool actually. Does it impact your life in a negative way at all?
I'm terrible at learning languages, hence why I only speak one. We had to have lessons in one modern foreign language in high school, but didn't get to pick from the two on offer (French and German). I did German, and because I'm from Wales, we also had to learn Welsh too. THAT SOUNDS VERY HARD FOR YOU.

I do have echolalia to a point though, but I think it's probably more related to also having Tourette's. I try to keep it in check when speaking to people, bu at home I'm forever repeating random things people say on TV.

It is great that you are able to keep your Tourettes in check when you are out in public. That probably saves you a lot of trouble.

You have to have an interest in it, ;et alone curiousity and be exposed to the foreign languages to unlock the potential, I myself can mimic animal sounds and mimic cats and can call them, either way it it is a gift.

Hah! You just busted yourself with Google by putting that video on here, so you might as well talk to them about it. Their spiders especially go for videos and your title says what your gift is. They will probably like your gift a lot and it will make your work more fun for you. They will probably let you have chances to learn even more languages and get better at the ones you already know. You will get to play and get paid for it.

I hope you will talk to somebody at Google and give yourself a chance to learn more and translate more. It doesn't have to be at Google, but that might be the easiest way to get started since you go there a lot anyway.

Hah! You just busted yourself with Google by putting that video on here, so you might as well talk to them about it. Their spiders especially go for videos and your title says what your gift is. They will probably like your gift a lot and it will make your work more fun for you. They will probably let you have chances to learn even more languages and get better at the ones you already know. You will get to play and get paid for it.
That is not a bad idea, actually, I got the red badge and have recently started using my gift, there is a small chance I could get converted to a white badge. I made friends with a Googler simply by just speaking geek and sharing interest and referring him to 7 Stars Bar and Grill,, I am a contractor there btw there is a difference, however if I keep spreading my gift and if Sergie Brin notices I can move up for sure, all though im not interested in electronics or apps I could probably be moved to the Google translate campus, I got some notice from another Googler who is Indian and spoke to her in Hindi and she was amazed.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom