• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Politics (not politicians) and waitresses...

Deliquescent

I work currently as a cashier at a convenience store. I applied to the manager in training program because I have experience managing convenience stores for a different company. I was told I would have to work my way up through the "fast track" and start as cashier. Fine, I may not be making minimum wage but I'm still $1.75/hour short of paying my bills. My 60 day probationary period is up.

The district manager came in today and asked what I would like to talk to her about. She already knew what I wanted to talk about I had been taking to the manager earlier about it. I said my title change and raise. She said I can't just say that I have to practice politics because you need to have politics for the managers job. Um... Been a manager I'll perform exceptional customer service for customers by why would I have to mince words when your already knew what I want? She said I need to tell why I deserve the new title and not mention money or they'd think that's all I wanted. I did all this in the interview why do I have to do it again?

They said I have to delegate tasks more to the other cashiers. I said but I am a cashier, why would another cashier being telling people what to do? I have no problems delegating when I'm in charge but I'm on equal ground to these people. She tried saying everyone is on the same level. Um no, that's why your the boss and being the boss you can tell people what to do.

She then says, "when you walk into a restaurant what are the waitresses doing?" My mind went completely blank. I tried picturing restaurants and waitresses but nothing came up. I swear I looked back and forth between the manager and district manager forever and finally said, I haven't been to a restaurant in years ago I don't know. She said but when you did go what are they doing? I had no idea what she was looking for here. I said I don't know. She tried her eyes and said do you see them just standing around talking to each other? I know no is the right answer but I have seen waitresses standing around talking to each other. I said no. She pointed out how they make less than the cashiers so the cashiers should be working harder than the waitresses and it's apparently my job as another cashier to make them do this to prove my leadership abilities. I know there's no winning this argument at this point but I also don't know what I'm supposed to do. Cashiers don't take orders from other cashiers. It's just the way it goes. I've been doing this a long time and that's obvious. The days when I'm in charge and doing the paperwork I do delegate and they do respond but I have no way of proving this.

She reiterated that I need to work on my politics (ok, I'll treat you like a customer, maybe that'll work?) and I have to prove I can lead without the title.

It was confusing though because she also said she'd start the process of putting me into the MIT program and the background check should be back next Friday. Idk if I'm getting the title or not yet and I guess I have to work on ***** footing around what I need/want without saying what I need/want.

I don't understand how someone could know what a person needs or wants without it actually being said. How do you avoid misunderstandings with that?

I guess at least now I know what she's looking for from me.

Thanks for reading

It sounds like what was communicated to you was a convoluted way of implying that you must possess the skill of being both assertive and manipulative with your own peers just to potentially stand out as a candidate for leadership.

Proceed with caution. They may be only legally offering you the chance to apply for the MIT position, with no real intention of actually placing you into it. Perhaps only to legally conform with Human Resource standards. Which would explain the mixed messages they gave you. But that's only my opinion based on your post. I could be wrong and hopefully I am.

Having spend many years in a corporate office environment, to me that's "politics". When one message is conveyed to you, while it's really about another message.

Too bad they didn't substitute the term "politics" for "people skills". If deliberate, it may also give you a little insight into their corporate culture. Which would give me a somewhat bad vibe, personally. In a work environment, terms like "politics" and "people skills" have somewhat different meanings to me. One implying manipulation while the other better reflects benevolent leadership.

Last edited:
The best leaders I have known are the ones who aren't afraid to jump in and get their hands dirty if you know what I mean.

Go in there each day and do the absolute best you can. Treat your coworkers and customers in a way that lifts them up. Be an encourager and a positive role model. Make yourself a star employee that people notice.

More than likely you will sooner or later move on up. Best of luck!

I agree with Jimbo, but I think you should ask yourself whether this kind of company culture is where you want to excel.

I put up with a terrible company culture because it paid the bills (almost), but I kept looking for another job while being the best employee I possibly could be while still there.

I work currently as a cashier at a convenience store. I applied to the manager in training program because I have experience managing convenience stores for a different company. I was told I would have to work my way up through the "fast track" and start as cashier. Fine, I may not be making minimum wage but I'm still $1.75/hour short of paying my bills. My 60 day probationary period is up.

The district manager came in today and asked what I would like to talk to her about. She already knew what I wanted to talk about I had been taking to the manager earlier about it. I said my title change and raise. She said I can't just say that I have to practice politics because you need to have politics for the managers job. Um... Been a manager I'll perform exceptional customer service for customers by why would I have to mince words when your already knew what I want? She said I need to tell why I deserve the new title and not mention money or they'd think that's all I wanted. I did all this in the interview why do I have to do it again?

They said I have to delegate tasks more to the other cashiers. I said but I am a cashier, why would another cashier being telling people what to do? I have no problems delegating when I'm in charge but I'm on equal ground to these people. She tried saying everyone is on the same level. Um no, that's why your the boss and being the boss you can tell people what to do.

She then says, "when you walk into a restaurant what are the waitresses doing?" My mind went completely blank. I tried picturing restaurants and waitresses but nothing came up. I swear I looked back and forth between the manager and district manager forever and finally said, I haven't been to a restaurant in years ago I don't know. She said but when you did go what are they doing? I had no idea what she was looking for here. I said I don't know. She tried her eyes and said do you see them just standing around talking to each other? I know no is the right answer but I have seen waitresses standing around talking to each other. I said no. She pointed out how they make less than the cashiers so the cashiers should be working harder than the waitresses and it's apparently my job as another cashier to make them do this to prove my leadership abilities. I know there's no winning this argument at this point but I also don't know what I'm supposed to do. Cashiers don't take orders from other cashiers. It's just the way it goes. I've been doing this a long time and that's obvious. The days when I'm in charge and doing the paperwork I do delegate and they do respond but I have no way of proving this.

She reiterated that I need to work on my politics (ok, I'll treat you like a customer, maybe that'll work?) and I have to prove I can lead without the title.

It was confusing though because she also said she'd start the process of putting me into the MIT program and the background check should be back next Friday. Idk if I'm getting the title or not yet and I guess I have to work on ***** footing around what I need/want without saying what I need/want.

I don't understand how someone could know what a person needs or wants without it actually being said. How do you avoid misunderstandings with that?

I guess at least now I know what she's looking for from me.

Thanks for reading

This is the kind of BS that is typical with "most people". This is one of the reasons that I spent my entire working career in the field, by myself. I worked for one company for twenty-six years, with very little contact with co-workers and management and I still had occasional problems with company politics. I believe that this type of environment does not work well for Aspies.

I would say she doesn't know what she is doing. But I would react differently. I would start acting like I have been given "provisional manager" status.

Explain that you are being evaluated for manager, so the other cashiers can come to you for help. (This is what managers do.) Help them organize, come to their aid if a customer is acting up, etc.

Just BE a manager.

Either it will work, and they will get what they are so bad at explaining, or it won't, and you know they are terminally screwed up and working there will be a torment.

Sucks, but then, business is ALL screwed up these days. Sometimes you just have to skip the rules and be the smartest person there.

So basically you need to learn how to kiss the customer's arse without literally doing so? And also your Bosses'?!

I mean OK yeah after a good few years in and out of the retail trade I know they say "the customer is always right" but that's not always the case IMO.

I am exceptional at customer service. I have a script I use and she did say listening to me on the registers makes her day, the customers say that to me all the time too. I'm really good at acting. lol My fear is that they want to keep me there. I kicked ass today, I was the one in charge, everything was done really early and I had two hours of "free time". The other employees even said the orders and paperwork had never been done so early. I went in wearing my boss hat.

I'm waiting for my formal evaluation so they see me as NT, and idk if I'll decide to inform them when the process is over. I don't really need anything besides extra breaks when things are crazy and the boss is already ok with taking as many as you need as long as your work is done. This is the only company in my area that actually treats cashiers well which is what I'm looking for. I can't ask my employees to work their butts off for pennies which is why I didn't last at the previous company. I'm hoping this is enough. I've decided I'll also be treating the bosses like customers and make sure I have time to reword what I need from them before I have to talk to them whenever possible.

I really am trying to keep in mind when I have my own store I can run it my way. Which has worked in the past. I'll think of this like a silly game to reach my goal.

I have never been good at these types of games but I'm facing it like a challenge. Hopefully that will be enough.

I really am trying to keep in mind when I have my own store I can run it my way. Which has worked in the past. I'll think of this like a silly game to reach my goal.

Given the impression of your district manager, do you really think the corporate culture will encourage you doing things your way, or their way?

Or as I've heard- and seen so often in corporate culture, "They give you plenty of rope." - To hang you.

One thing I really enjoyed about being an independent contractor in a corporate environment was that I was completely removed from all the politics.

Given the impression of your district manager, do you really think the corporate culture will encourage you doing things your way, or their way?

Or as I've heard- and seen so often in corporate culture, "They give you plenty of rope." - To hang you.

One thing I really enjoyed about being an independent contractor in a corporate environment was that I was completely removed from all the politics.
I know that's a real possibility. I won't know for sure unless I try though. Although I have no qualms with replacing them as my employer. One day when my children are gone I will work for myself doing what I love but it's not a money maker. I can't justify bringing kids into the world and then not providing for them adequately. I have the rest of my life for me but only a short time with them.

...ok, I'll treat you like a customer...
In a way, they are your customer: you tender your own currency (hours, attitude, and effort), and they provide you with goods ($, £, €, etc).

You decide whether their price is too high (that is, if you have to give too much) for the goods they provide, or if it's a good deal for you.
I can't justify bringing kids into the world and then not providing for them adequately.
Thank you!!! Good parents always take the 'back seat' to the kids' welfare. The definition of 'Love' that I like most: giving away something you value for another's benefit.

In a way, they are your customer: you tender your own currency (hours, attitude, and effort), and they provide you with goods ($, £, €, etc).

You decide whether their price is too high (that is, if you have to give too much) for the goods they provide, or if it's a good deal for you.

Thank you!!! Good parents always take the 'back seat' to the kids' welfare. The definition of 'Love' that I like most: giving away something you value for another's benefit.
Well said makes perfect sense. Thank you.

Thanks I try. I wish more people did it, even previous partners. It's the only way to do it that makes sense to me.

New Threads

Top Bottom