• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Playing music in your head

juffur

V.I.P Member
I've noticed something strange with my thought process. I usually have some kind of music playing in my head... For example, when I am thinking about something (could be anything) I can hear music while I am thinking. I usually don't realize it, but even hours after I hear a song, I will notice it's playing in my head. So is this an autism thing? I think it goes beyond simply having a song stuck in my head. It's as if I can use a particular song to help regulate my mood.... Kind of odd.

For example, as I write this, I have a Mozart song playing in my head. Has been for the last few hours while I worked on homework as well. :p

I have music playing in my head a lot too. No idea if it's an AS-related thing or not, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I seem to have this playing in my head a lot for some reason (being a big fan of the movie Excalibur probably has something to do with it):

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a near-constant stream of music playing in my head, just about whenever I'm not actively focused on anything that occupies the music-replaying part of my brain. This may be part of the reason I don't feel a need to listen to an iPod or something. Although, songs played in my head tend to be in bits and pieces, as I often replay the part of a song I remember/like the best.

Since I watched this sequence this morning, this song is what's been playing in my head for the past few minutes:

Last edited by a moderator:
This I definitely do all the time nowadays. :D
Although I do think its normal for a person to actually have music playing in your head.
Anyone does it.

I do this quite a bit too. Although, with me, since I don't really listen to any general music, I typically have WWE theme music or other sports related music stuck in my head.

I typically have WWE theme music or other sports related music stuck in my head.

I was actually playing the intro theme for Mankind/Mick Foley when reading this.

I do play music in my head but I don't think I would have it playing as often as others have described here.

I was actually playing the intro theme for Mankind/Mick Foley when reading this.

I do play music in my head but I don't think I would have it playing as often as others have described here.

Which theme of his? One of my favorites of his was the first one he used, especially the exit theme he used. All it was was a piano, but it sounded pretty cool. I have his other one where there are sounds of a cars crashing in the background.

I have his other one where there are sounds of a cars crashing in the background.

The one I was playing was called "car wreck" with the sound of cars crashing. In fact, I've just started playing it again while typing this.

Mindwar's description of what he is experiencing maches mine to a tee. I don't know if he experiences the same added effect, but I sometimes can't shutoff the music.

Mindwar's description of what he is experiencing maches mine to a tee. I don't know if he experiences the same added effect, but I sometimes can't shutoff the music.

I can't shutoff the music, but if I really focus I can change songs. :p

Sometimes when i'm listening to music in my head i'm just like, is it just me? or am i wearing my headphone.

I play music in my head almost constantly. It's usually something by Sigur Ros and I tend to loop the same part of the song over and over. Sometimes I can hear a song once and then learn lyrics just from hearing it in my head over and over. This is particularly strange if the lyrics are in Icelandic.

I used to play loud Sousa marches in my head
at school during classroom quiet times. I liked
the way it filled up the empty space in the room.
And nobody could see it except me.

Yes, I do this too. I listen to a lot of music, and always have something playing in my head, usually a riff I particularly like. Sometimes I make an exercise of going through the whole song.

Always. I'm just constantly amused by what music sticks in my head the longest. Then moves on...bizarre. :p

I do this all the time music gives me life! I love Glenn Miller & Big Band 1940s stuff & also I love the sound of Leonard Cohen his voice is so soothing to me. I listen to music whenever possible it helps me relax so much!

Yes, and it irritates the crap out of me! It's like I've got a personalized radio station in my head, no headphones needed, no nothing. Just constant music, almost nonstop!

It's a shame I'm not a musician though, because I've got a couple tunes that I've created from scratch as well...

New Threads

Top Bottom