• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Personality Disorders

whale_bone

V.I.P Member
Has anyone been diagnosed with a personality disorder?

Most recently doctors have decided that I am not AS, rather, I have a confluence of personality disorders. The first one I got was schizotypal. Then I got Avoidant + Dependent + Borderline. Then they dropped the Dependent. Now there is a possibility of Avoidant + Borderline + Schizoid.

Ridiculous.

This is the problem with applying discrete categories to something which is by nature continuous and multivariate.

It seems like your doctors can't make up their minds or else don't have a clue. Which do you personally identify more with?

Those strike me as odd combinations. All three? And they can't even decide there?

What did they say about you possibly having an ASD?

ASD will definitely have socially defined stuff that we lack, objectively.

I have to agree in that a lot of those symptoms of said personality disorders could be misdiagnosed Aspberger's.
Particularly borderline/anxiety- I was misdiagnosed with that at first, with a doctor who saw me for 15 minutes!

But the doctors who saw me regularly collectively agreed AS, once they listened to me a shade more in depth.
They said the keys were my childhood behaviors, and how I acted in group therapy & doses longer than 20 minutes.
So maybe that could be similar for you? Maybe they just aren't seeing the right side?

But that depends on you, of course. When I read about Borderline I went 'what the hell?" But the Aspberger's descriptions freaked me out a bit.
Maybe try explaining why you are confused about the diagnose(s)?

Aspberger's is notorious for undergoing so many misdiagnoses. I also read it's harder to tell with women (on average), as well.

Yes I too had a whole mush of diagnosies. First it was schiziod, then major depression, then schizotypal pd, then schizo affective, then borderline and complex ptsd. I mean flipping hell!??.I think a lot of it has to do with lack of careful and ill informed mental health screenings I did have a lot of treatment for childhood abuse which resolved a lot of problems. Now my current pdoc just sees emotional/borderline (quiet type) traits, with Aspbergers. It seems many of those traits intergrate and co occur.

If it were me with those three diagnosis I would ask why they are attaching so many diagnosis'. II have to agree with a lot of what others have said on this one. I would be asking a lot of questions as to weather the personality disorders are being misused in loo of AS. What do you think fits you better? Find someone who is more willing to listen to what you are saying or not saying because that is just as important. I hope you find out soon for you own piece of mind.

Last time I went to a psychiatrist I was told I had like 12 different things- OCD, borderline, ADD, bi-polar 1, anxiety disorder and I don't even remember what else. Since I don't take medicine it doesn't really matter. I connect more with AS and borderline, with the main things being I have no empathy for other people and care only about myself and my stuff. I went to therapy on and off for YEARS and it never changed who I am.

Husband says if he can deal with who I am without "medicine" then so can everyone else. My ex-husband threw me into therapy to try and get them to "convince" me that I wanted kids. I took so many different meds for rage, depression, narcolepsy, OCD- you name it and none of it helped with anything!

It seems to me that it shouldnt be a problem to be born with a basic Aspergers development and then after continuose years of childhood neglect and abuse to develop an attachment and emotional disorder like borderline PD. I would get beaten more as a child than my siblings because I could not read body language and would just stand immobile and stare when reprimanded. My responses were read as insolence or having an attitude and induced more anger. To me though, such slaps and beatings seemed to come out of the blue and I was always anxiouse not knowing when the next thing could happen.

asperger can easily be confused with other things. by polar people lose interest in social activities when they're down. ocd, general anxiety, adhd and social phobias often accompany asperger, so do rage attacks. and we often get depressed from things that might not make an NT this upset. i've even read somewhere we cant accept lose like most people can, that it's harder for us aspies to move on with our lives after a loss.
and we have that distant look in our eyes, and some people think it's a sad look. someone once told me my eyes look so sad, and i was surprised, because i wasnt really sad.

New Threads

Top Bottom