• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

People give clues. Learn to find them.

WereBear

License to Weird
V.I.P Member
I wrote this on another thread:

I credit my extensive study of body language and voice tones for my social ease (such as it is.) But one thing I am very good at is picking up the little cues everyone sends about their true thoughts and intentions. Maybe it is just me developing my intuition, but it has helped me many times.

I would suggest starting with the book The Gift of Fear by Gavin deBecker.
If anyone else has a source of knowledge, tips and tricks, or a personal experience, please share.

I've met NTs who are far more clueless about such than I am, but since they are totally in sync with their social network, it never comes up. They never learned these things, but for them, it does not matter.

I do believe picking up on social cues is something we can all learn and get better at. It's just that no one ever taught us.

Very interesting book, the first chapter requires a strong stomach as it describes a real world and real bad situation in detail.

From Gavin's lecture - my favorite quote: "Niceness is not a character trait. Niceness is a strategy." That would be very useful for me to remember, since people can often act "nice" just to later manipulate or use you.

I also love the good advice on CaptainAwkward.com.

She has people write in with tricky social challenges, and she offers scripts to follow. Invaluable comment section, too!

I wrote this on another thread:

I credit my extensive study of body language and voice tones for my social ease (such as it is.) But one thing I am very good at is picking up the little cues everyone sends about their true thoughts and intentions. Maybe it is just me developing my intuition, but it has helped me many times.

I would suggest starting with the book The Gift of Fear by Gavin deBecker.
If anyone else has a source of knowledge, tips and tricks, or a personal experience, please share.

I've met NTs who are far more clueless about such than I am, but since they are totally in sync with their social network, it never comes up. They never learned these things, but for them, it does not matter.

I do believe picking up on social cues is something we can all learn and get better at. It's just that no one ever taught us.
Have you read Not Just Me: Anxiety, Depression, and Learning to Embrace Your Weird by Lisa Jakub? My friend has just started to read it and she thinks it is good.

New Threads

Top Bottom