• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Pentagon to Cut Autism Healthcare Payments in Half

Brent

Administrator
Military families are concerned they could lose medical help for their autistic children because of planned spending cuts at the Pentagon.

As part of an effort to reduce its healthcare costs, the Pentagon is planning to slash payments in half to providers who work with autistic children under TRICARE, the military’s healthcare plan.

The latest TRICARE manual, released in September, cuts their pay from $125 a hour to between $50 and $68 an hour.

Many healthcare providers are balking at the pay cuts, saying they won’t be able to provide the services without the additional money. If they go through, providers say the services will disappear.

That’s sparked a panic among families that use the programs and their advocates.

“These new changes to autism therapy could be game over for some of our military families around the country,” said Amanda Kelly, a board certified behavior analyst who works with autistic children for Keiki Educational Consultants.

A new survey of TRICARE providers who work with autistic children finds 95 percent of these providers plan to cut back on the services they offer, while 22 percent intend to stop working with military children altogether.

The study was conducted by Navigation Behavioral Consulting, a healthcare provider that works with autistic children.

“What will families do?” asked Kate Disney, the mother of a child with autism who is afraid her family will lose TRICARE coverage under the changes.

The changes, announced in the Federal Register in June, are scheduled to take effect on Oct. 20.

According to TRICARE documents, more than 7,800 military children received autism benefits in 2013.

The Pentagon says it is trying to simplify the autism program and insists these families will continue to have access to autism treatment under the new program.

“Beneficiaries currently receiving (coverage) under an existing TRICARE policy will seamlessly transition to the Autism Care Demo with no gap in coverage and no increase in cost — there will be no changes to their current plan,” said Maj. Gen. Richard W. Thomas, director of health operations for the Defense Health Agency, in a statement to The Hill.

Healthcare providers, however, say that they have been shut out from the process and received little to no communication from TRICARE about how the changes will affect the autistic children they serve.

They are worried that even if military families do not lose their TRICARE coverage under the changes, they may have problems with finding available healthcare providers to work with their autistic children.

If providers cut back on their services due to the pay cuts, it will create a shortage of providers that could leave more than 1,100 autistic children without help, according to the survey from Navigation Behavioral Consulting.

Meanwhile, the remaining healthcare providers that continue working with autistic children say they would face new limitations in what skills they can teach them.

“Even for those kids who are still getting services, they’re greatly limiting what we’re able to do with those children,” said Megan Miller, a board certified behavior analyst with Navigation Behavioral Consulting.

Previously, healthcare providers taught autistic children communication, social, behavioral, developmental, cognitive, mental health, motor, adaptive, academic and vocational skills, Miller said. But under the new rules, she said they will only be allowed to teach communication, social and behavior skills, restricting how much the autistic children can learn and grow.

“I am very concerned regarding the restricted focus of services,” said Mandy Farmer, whose son receives autism coverage from TRICARE. “My son is three years old and we are in the thick of it with potty training and focus.

“I just can’t believe they are making these decisions about treatment without consulting (health care professionals) on how this will affect our children,” she added.

An official from the Department of Defense explained all of these skills will still be covered, but they are being merged together in three broader categories.

Source: Pentagon to cut autism healthcare payments in half | TheHill

I hate when things get cut. Nothing relating to Autism but The Learning Disability Association of Nova Scotia shut down at the start of this year. I was very disappointed when this happen. I meet with the neurologist in January to find out if I have autism. If I do find out I do have it, hopefully Autism Nova Scotia does not get shut down by that time.

“Beneficiaries currently receiving (coverage) under an existing TRICARE policy will seamlessly transition to the Autism Care Demo with no gap in coverage and no increase in cost — there will be no changes to their current plan,” said Maj. Gen. Richard W. Thomas, director of health operations for the Defense Health Agency, in a statement to The Hill.

Oh, geez. Where have we heard this before? "You'll be able to keep your plan and your doctor, and you'll be saving on your premium costs." Sound familiar? Oh well, so much for caring for the veterans and their families.

Sure the government is short changing us again but that has happened under every administration, what I find just as appalling is that some physicians are already stating that the won't provide. Sure that is a tremendous pay cut but and I the only one you thinks medical, developmental, and psychological help seem very over priced, i mean come on really. Should only the wealthy or we'll off deserve help? Absolutely not, but then again that man who died in Dallas from Ebola was turned away because he didn't have insurance.

We've just been through similar in the UK. I didn't realise Nick Clegg, Leader of the Liberal Democrats and Deputy Prime Minister was a stand-up commedian:
Nick Clegg Anounces NHS To Put Mental Health Issues On Same Footing As Cancer
After the Conservatives cut mental health funding 2 years ago Clegg now promises to put mental health research on the same footing as cancer research.
Imagine having to wait only 6 weeks for councelling.. I've already waited 16 months and still no sign; I can't even get em to phone me back :mad:

... that man who died in Dallas from Ebola was turned away because he didn't have insurance.

Hmm ... I don't believe that is an accurate assessment of the situation in Dallas. The man was not "turned away," and was indeed provided with medical care.

Sure the government is short changing us again but that has happened under every administration, what I find just as appalling is that some physicians are already stating that the won't provide. Sure that is a tremendous pay cut but and I the only one you thinks medical, developmental, and psychological help seem very over priced, i mean come on really. Should only the wealthy or we'll off deserve help? Absolutely not, but then again that man who died in Dallas from Ebola was turned away because he didn't have insurance.
I am highly familiar with the lack of love for the poorer. It really sucks having to decide between food, utilities, and medicine. I don't know why so much is over-priced, I just wish it could come down!

New Threads

Top Bottom