• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

PDD NOS.. To go after a diagnosis of ASD?

Pixen

Fairy Cat
I was diagnosed with PDD NOS and NVLD at age 16. I've seen papers saying NVLD, my psychiatrist at the time mentioned PDD NOS. She specialized in ASDs. I was told later I may have Aspergers at 17, then a possibility of classic ASD at age 21.

My question is... Should I seek out another official diagnosis? My secondary diagnosis of Schizoaffective disorder makes things all the more difficult: not everyone believes that and autism can be diagnosed together. Others do. I just don't know if it would help other than self validation. My biggest issue is with communicating, especially when upset, annoyed, or bothered.

What do you all think?

Wow, that's quite a lot of disorders... It seems that PPD and NVLD are quite similar to aspergers, and, from what I understand after a less-than-5-min google search, are part of ASD or at least sisters to ASD. I don't really get how schizoaffective disorder and ASD. Then again, my knowledge is very limited. Have you done any research on your own about your disorders, or do you just accept whatever your psychiatrist say?

I have. I am considered Schizoaffective because of my mood issues and occasional hallucinations.

I was considered PDD/NVLD/ASD because I have horrific social skills, can't read tone of voice or facial expression, I hate change and melt down over it, I self harm in the sense that I hit my head, or bite or scratch myself. I have a lot of trouble communicating my wants and needs, when I am uncomfortable or overwhelmed, etc. I don't like loud noises or being touched without being asked first. I take most things literally. Etc, etc, etc.

Everyone I know thinks I'm autistic. That my Schizoaffective is likely a misdiagnosis. A lot of the time I hope and pray for that to be true, because I'd love to get off all the medicine I'm forced to take.

I just don't know if it would help other than self validation.

If getting a diagnosis would give you some form of validation that you are looking for, then I'd say go for it. If it has other benefits other than that, it's a bonus. Ultimately it's your decision as to whether just the validation is enough for you to seek out a diagnosis with the hope that it will have other benefits too. I suppose you also have to factor in the financial side if you live in a country where you'll have medical bills.

Xudo, I would have to pay for it. My girlfriend wants us to save up for it, but I'm not sure it's worth it. We mostly want therapy in which I can learn to communicate and express myself better.

I was diagnosed with PDD NOS and NVLD at age 16. I've seen papers saying NVLD, my psychiatrist at the time mentioned PDD NOS. She specialized in ASDs. I was told later I may have Aspergers at 17, then a possibility of classic ASD at age 21.

My question is... Should I seek out another official diagnosis? My secondary diagnosis of Schizoaffective disorder makes things all the more difficult: not everyone believes that and autism can be diagnosed together. Others do. I just don't know if it would help other than self validation. My biggest issue is with communicating, especially when upset, annoyed, or bothered.

What do you all think?

Be careful. They kicked me off the Spectrum after Autsim NOS and PDD NOS and defaulted into a host of GAD, PD, OCD, PTSD etc etc.......now I am just nuts and it hurts so bad.

And I do have the terrible sensory processing disorder, meltdowns, rigid scheudle, etc and he said it's all just personality disorder. How neurologcal conditisons can be PD I dont know and he would not say. In fact, when I tried to ask he said , "I've heard enough" and walked out!!!!

You should totally go for it if you need the diagnosis to get help, though I'm surprised you can't get any help with your PPD and NVLD (did I get that correctly?). About this schizoaffective dissorder, you might truly have it because I never heard ASD made you hallucinate...

OkRad, that stinks. I'm so very sorry that happened to you.

Rin, I'm not sure why but they don't recognize NVLD and I've never thought to mention PDD NOS. I don't know about the Schizoaffective, I don't hear or see things much anymore. But I guess it could be that the meds are working..

New Threads

Top Bottom