• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

PDD-NOS and Being Personable

Butterfly88

Jello Queen
V.I.P Member
I have PDD-NOS. My therapist said last week "you know sometimes diagnoses can change". When I asked her what she meant, she said she doesn't see me as autistic because I'm very personable. One does not need to have every symptom of a diagnosis to have PDD-NOS though, right?
Anyone else with PDD-NOS or Asperger's or autism personable? It annoys me that she would question my diagnosis.

Maybe she is just one of those people who can't conceive of conceiving of an autistic as a real person, so she figures it must be reality that has it the wrong way around while her prejudices are just right.

(?) Maybe: next time, tell her you are annoyed and that you do not see her to be a therapist because of her stating unsubstantiated opinions and questioning of your diagnosis.
I have PDD-NOS. My therapist said last week "you know sometimes diagnoses can change". When I asked her what she meant, she said she doesn't see me as autistic because I'm very personable. One does not need to have every symptom of a diagnosis to have PDD-NOS though, right?
Anyone else with PDD-NOS or Asperger's or autism personable? It annoys me that she would question my diagnosis.

1. you can look at it two ways it is a little bit generalizing in a un-positive reflection on autism.:confused:

2. Or you can just take it as she was saying you were the nicest sweetest autistic person she has worked with yet.:)

1. you can look at it two ways it is a little bit generalizing in a un-positive reflection on autism.:confused:

2. Or you can just take it as she was saying you were the nicest sweetest autistic person she has worked with yet.:)
Have you watched Temple Grandin? She was a well mannered person. She talks about some of her manners in her TED talk on youtube.

I'm very personable...I just have to think about it and cognitively decode social situations. I still goof up, but people like me because I work REALLY hard to be likable. Doesn't change the fact that I'm ASD-1 (aspie), but my therapist is convinced that's not the case because I don't look so deadpan all the time (when he sees me...). The fact that people like being around me doesn't mean I'm successful at relationships, I still can't get a boyfriend, and my real friendships are very few...I'm just really good at hiding the aspieness, I've had a lifetime or working at it, and it helped that I was severely punished for showing any of the more classic signs...so yeah, I hide it well. This is the only Dx that my therapist and I consistently disagree about, but when he treats me like an autistically-minded person things just click so much better. Therapists can be wrong, they don't live in our bodies/brains/lives, so they only go by what we show them. Stick to what you know is true.

New Threads

Top Bottom