• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Pancake Day 2017

When In Rome

Untitled_1_large_trans_Nv_BQz_QNjv4_Bqq_Vzuuqp_Fly_LIw.jpg

I guess this is a British thing but today is Shrove Tuesday and known here as Pancake Day. It's when sales of Jif lemons rocket in our stores and people rush to get out the plain flour, eggs, and brown sugar before lightly greasing the frying pan and spend an evening tossing them over, careful not too high or they'll stick to the celling.

Maple syrup is a lovely topping but the best pancake I remember as a child was when we drove into a Little Chef and had something called a Jubilee; this was a thick and fluffy pancake served with vanilla ice-cream and red cherries.

Heston_Blumenthal_Little_Chef_Popham_Sedgefield.jpg

The Little Chef's Jubilee Pancake

Anyway here are a few factoids for this traditional day.
  1. The largest pancake in the world was cooked up in Rochdale in 1994, weighing in at 6,614 lbs (that's three tonnes!) and measuring 49 ft and 3in long.
  2. If you feel guilty about using readymade pancake mix, don't worry - people have been doing it forever. Aunt Jemimas was invented in St Joseph, Missouri in 1889 and is claimed to be the first ever readymade pancake mixture to be sold.
  3. The world's largest pancake breakfast was held in Springfield, America, in 2012. The breakfast saw 15,000 people get together in Main Street to enjoy a huge number of pancakes and raised $10,000 for a local charity.
  4. Pancake races happen all over England throughout Shrove Tuesday. The tradition is thought to have originated in Olney in the 15th century, after a woman lost track of time while cooking pancakes. When the bells for mass rang, she ran out of her house with the pan and pancake still in hand. Olney still holds a pancake race every year.
  5. The largest number of pancake flips in the shortest amount of time is currently 349 flips in two minutes, a record achieved by Dean Gould in Felixstowe, Suffolk, in 1995.
  6. While we in Britain tend to keep our pancake ingredients nice and simple, in Newfoundland, Canada, objects with symbolic value are added to the batter to be cooked. These items are then used to interpret different messages about the future - for example, a pancake served with a ring inside may signify marriage.
  7. In France, it is traditional while flipping a pancake to hold a coin in one hand and to make a wish.
  8. The largest stack of pancakes ever cooked was made up of 60 pancakes and was an impressive 76cm tall.
  9. It is estimated that an impressive 52 million eggs are used in Britain each year on pancake day - that's 22 million more than every other day of the year.
  10. On Pancake Day in Scotland the locals like to eat "festy cock". The word festy is linked to Festern's E'en, the day before Shrove Tuesday, when cock fighting took place. You make the dish by rolling out a ball of finely ground oatmeal and folding it into a rough bird shape before baking and eating as a substitute for a cockerel.
  11. The French call pancake day Mardi Gras, or Fat Tuesday. This originates from the ancient ritual of parading a large ox through Paris to remind people that meat was forbidden during the Lent period.
pancake_large_trans_Nv_BQz_QNjv4_Bqq_Vzuuqp_Fly_LIwi_B6.jpg

What does Shrove Tuesday mean?

The word shrove is a form of the English word shrive, which means to obtain absolution for one's sins by way of confession and penance. Shrove Tuesday gets its name from the custom for Christians to be "shriven" before the start of Lent.

Why do we celebrate Pancake Day?

Traditionally, pancakes were eaten on this day to use up rich, indulgent foods like eggs and milk before the 40-day fasting season of Lent began. But although it is enshrined in Christian tradition, it is believed that Pancake Day might originate in a pagan holiday, when eating warm, round pancakes - symbolising the sun - was a way of celebrating the arrival of spring.

Why do we flip pancakes?

As well as making and eating pancakes, we Brits love to hold pancake races, where people run while flipping their pancakes in a pan. Legend has it that the tradition was born in the 15th century when a particularly disorganised woman in Buckinghamshire rushed to church to confess her sins while mid-way through making pancakes. We hope she gave one to the priest.

How to make pancakes?

I love pancakes. Not making any this year I assume, as @VenomousAlbino is eating more healthily. We may go to the pub for lunch tomorrow and I suppose they may have them as a special, but I doubt it.

I completely forgot about it being Shrove Tuesday tomorrow, I won't be home and have to miss out on pancakes:(. Some of us in the US celebrate it, too. There is a pancake race in Liberal, Kansas, and the Episcopal church does pancake day, of course.

It's celebrated in the Netherlands as well (although I have no clue how many people celebrate it, I heard of it for the first time a year ago). One of my friends is baking pancakes from 11:00 to 23:00 today and invited everyone to stop by. I like this.

Nice, thin, crispy bacon pancakes. <3

Will be attempting to make no frills basic pancakes later (pictures to follow possibly after the fire brigade have left).

No pancakes at the pub. Had to make do with a profiterole gateau. Oh no, how awful for me. Sarcasm, it was bloody lovely.

Pancakes are sort of a national staple here. I think I will make some! And by that I mean coerce my boyfriend into making me some pancakes cause I'm lazy.

I love pancake day! Not that I don't eat pancakes at other times of the year, but on pancake day I try to have every meal of the day involve pancakes!
Breakfast: Fluffy pancakes with maple syrup
Lunch: Spring vegetable crepes with chive sauce
Tea: Beef mince crepes and veges
Pudding: Terrys chocolate orange mouse crepes with vanilla icecream.
Yum!

they look good,i like them nice and thin.

i am not making any with my staff tonight,i dont understand why i cant eat pancakes at any other day,and why they only sell the premade mix around pancake tuesday.

My support worker today made those and she will be making more for her family this evening. Just as well I had them early, there is a chicken vindaloo for the popty-ping and a couple of fresh cream doughnuts that must be eaten today :eek: think of the calories :D oh well maybe next year.

My support worker today made those and she will be making more for her family this evening. Just as well I had them early, there is a chicken vindaloo for the popty-ping and a couple of fresh cream doughnuts that must be eaten today :eek: think of the calories :D oh well maybe next year.

Sorry...I couldn't not reply, but I'm assuming you know that that isn't really the Welsh for microwave? Gavin and Stacey apparently left some people believing it :sweatsmile:

Sorry...I couldn't not reply, but I'm assuming you know that that isn't really the Welsh for microwave? Gavin and Stacey apparently left some people believing it :sweatsmile:

I picked it up off a friend. I know nothing about Gavin and Stacey and probably less about Wales. :rolleyes:

What a cool name for the microwave, popty-ping? I do like it when people make up names for things. Here, people call a spray bottle: poosh, poosh, which seems to them much like the sound the spray bottle makes when used.

I picked it up off a friend. I know nothing about Gavin and Stacey and probably less about Wales. :rolleyes:

It's from that programme, I personally can't stand it :D

In case you wondered, the Welsh for 'microwave' is the far less funny 'meicrodon'.

New Threads

Top Bottom