• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Oxford University Accused Of Targeting Autistic Students After Claims Lack Of Eye Contact Is Racist

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me)

The uni said failing to speak to people directly was ‘everyday racism’.

Oxford University has been accused of targeting autistic staff and students, after it claimed that avoiding eye contact can be a sign of racism.

The university’s equality and diversity unit wrote in a newsletter that not speaking directly to others was a racial “micro-aggression” that could lead to “mental ill health”.

“Sometimes called ‘micro-aggressions’, subtle, everyday racism can appear trivial,” the newsletter read. “But repeated micro-aggressions can be tiring and alienating.”

The guidance has been widely criticised on social media, with many accusing the university of failing to consider people with autism, who often find it difficult to make eye contact.

One woman accused the university of “ableism”, while others wrote:

Tony McCormack @TonyMcCormack8
@Telegraph people on autistic spectrum have enough problems/challenges in our society without also being assumed guilty of racism. Shame on Oxford Uni.

Richard Holloway @rrwholloway
Ergo: Oxford Uni tells everyone with autism they are racist. https://twitter.com/standardnews/status/856461466672611329 …

Paul Thomas @cestek
It is great that Oxford thinks autistic kids are born racist. Does that mean all racist are born that way? Slippery slope. https://twitter.com/TheAnchoress/status/856068705758961664 …

Shyness and anxiety were also reasons people might avoid eye contact, people noted.

A spokesperson for Oxford University said: “The equality and diversity unit works with university bodies to ensure that the university’s pursuit of excellence goes hand in hand with freedom from discrimination and equality of opportunity and the newsletter is one way of advising and supporting staff towards achieving these aims.”

The university’s unit also warned against asking people where they are “originally” from and making jokes that draw attention to someone’s difference or nationality.

“Some people who do these things may be entirely well-meaning, and would be mortified to realise that they had caused offence,” it said in the newsletter.

“But this is of little consequence if a possible effect of their words or actions is to suggest to people that they may fulfil a negative stereotype, or do not belong.”

Source: Oxford University Accused Of Targeting Autistic Students After Claiming Lack Of Eye Contact Is 'Racist' | The Huffington Post

(Not written by me)

The uni said failing to speak to people directly was ‘everyday racism’.

Oxford University has been accused of targeting autistic staff and students, after it claimed that avoiding eye contact can be a sign of racism.

The university’s equality and diversity unit wrote in a newsletter that not speaking directly to others was a racial “micro-aggression” that could lead to “mental ill health”.

“Sometimes called ‘micro-aggressions’, subtle, everyday racism can appear trivial,” the newsletter read. “But repeated micro-aggressions can be tiring and alienating.”

The guidance has been widely criticised on social media, with many accusing the university of failing to consider people with autism, who often find it difficult to make eye contact.

One woman accused the university of “ableism”, while others wrote:

Tony McCormack @TonyMcCormack8
@Telegraph people on autistic spectrum have enough problems/challenges in our society without also being assumed guilty of racism. Shame on Oxford Uni.

Richard Holloway @rrwholloway
Ergo: Oxford Uni tells everyone with autism they are racist. https://twitter.com/standardnews/status/856461466672611329 …

Paul Thomas @cestek
It is great that Oxford thinks autistic kids are born racist. Does that mean all racist are born that way? Slippery slope. https://twitter.com/TheAnchoress/status/856068705758961664 …

Shyness and anxiety were also reasons people might avoid eye contact, people noted.

A spokesperson for Oxford University said: “The equality and diversity unit works with university bodies to ensure that the university’s pursuit of excellence goes hand in hand with freedom from discrimination and equality of opportunity and the newsletter is one way of advising and supporting staff towards achieving these aims.”

The university’s unit also warned against asking people where they are “originally” from and making jokes that draw attention to someone’s difference or nationality.

“Some people who do these things may be entirely well-meaning, and would be mortified to realise that they had caused offence,” it said in the newsletter.

“But this is of little consequence if a possible effect of their words or actions is to suggest to people that they may fulfil a negative stereotype, or do not belong.”

Source: Oxford University Accused Of Targeting Autistic Students After Claiming Lack Of Eye Contact Is 'Racist' | The Huffington Post
They are the ones doing wrong; insensitivity to people on the spectrum is worse than racism; because autistic people cannot help being that way. I hope the powers that be at Oxford get educated really quickly. A racist chooses his actions; someone on the spectrum does not.

Can someone explain to me how not making eye contact is racist?
There is no logical explanation, it is Insanity run amuck!

Political Correctness has been allowed to get way out of Control, it's just Plain Wrong!!! Everything is Racist today: Milk is Racist, Outdoor Recreation is Racist, and Yoga is Cultural Appropriation!

Folks here will probably hate me for this, but I'm Done with "Political Correctness" and "Diversity"!! It's destroying Civilization! Enough with Division, we need to find ways that we are alike!

There is no logical explanation, it is Insanity run amuck!
Re: political correctness:

“Every great cause begins as a movement, becomes a business, and eventually degenerates into a racket.”
― Eric Hoffer, The Temper of Our Time

Can someone explain to me how not making eye contact is racist?

Sure. The thinking goes that if a person won't make eye contact with a black person, it's because the person believes black people to be racially inferior and therefore not worthy of one's gaze.

The problem with this reasoning, apart from being 'racial stereotyping' in and of itself, is that many cultures consider sustained eye contact as a sign of aggression or disrespect (many asian cultures, I think?), and, by and large, people of lower socioeconomic class also see it as a sign of aggression or disrespect.

Next time I see the local skinheads or gangsta rap posse on the street, I'll try making sustained eye contact as I walk by and let you know how that works out....

those PC muppets at the university wouldnt like to meet me,i either stare into/around eyes or look around as i dont get the terror and pain i used to feel with eyes anymore because of my highly medicated brain and my ultimately screwy visual perception ,theyd probably think i was a racist pervert or something.

New Threads

Top Bottom