• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Not a Holiday Person

savi83

Hi everybody,

So it's the Summer a prime time for people to away on holiday.

I've never been one for holidays, it's never been something that's interested me.

I'm in a relationship with an NT so tend to get dragged away to places by her, but generally it isn't something that has appealed to me and ever plan myself.

The culture of sitting around a swimming pool getting a tan and getting drunk.

Before I got with her I used to use up my holidays from my main job to work another.

Can anyone else relate to this?

Sure to a degree. Holidays are a social ritual. Doesn't really matter what significance each one has. They're still a social ritual.

I don't like social rituals. Period. My bad.

Christmas is always the worst for me though, because I associate it with the deaths of my parents who both died only twelve days before Christmas on the same day and date but 28 years apart.

By holiday do you mean vacation? I know in the UK vacation is called holiday.
Ahhh, is this an American difference? I remember an English as a second language friend explaining to me that many of his countrymen (former English colony) didn't know the difference between vacation and holiday. And I was thinking "What is he on about". Hehe.
So what is a 'holiday' in America then?

hol·i·day
ˈhäləˌdā/
noun
noun: holiday; plural noun: holidays
  1. 1.
    a day of festivity or recreation when no work is done.
    "December 25 is an official public holiday"
    synonyms: day of observance, festival, feast day, fête, fiesta, celebration, anniversary, jubilee; More
    saint's day, holy day
    "Presidents' Day is a federal holiday"
verb
British
verb: holiday; 3rd person present: holidays; past tense: holidayed; past participle: holidayed; gerund or present participle: holidaying
  1. 1.
    spend a holiday in a specified place.
    "he is holidaying in Italy"

By holiday do you mean vacation? I know in the UK vacation is called holiday. George Bernard Shaw was right, "We're a people separated by a common language." :)

Great observation. One that obviously went right past me. "Britspeak" :p

Now as for vacations, the last one I took was when I was a child. (I never considered visits with relatives as an actual vacation.)

Last edited:
Holidays are important from a mental health perspective. While you might get away with working through holidays when you're young, it will cost you in the end. Unless of course you actually really enjoy the work. In that case, a change is pretty much as good.
I find it hard to arrange a holiday, but usually enjoy it when I do.
Do consider what is refreshing for you. Sitting around might not be. Rushing madly around tourist sites might not be either. Holidays are a good time for catching up on hobbies, and visiting family/friends. Or whatever takes your fancy. Do take one, but do what you will enjoy.
Consider also doing it in the off season when there are less people and cheaper prices.

I hate "vacations" with my family. Traveling with them is nothing but stress and drama - not to mention constant bathroom-related complaining. The real vacation starts when we get back home, when I can finally relax and get back to routine.
Now that I'm an adult, I can stay home when they travel and they can't force me to go anywhere with them. In fact, at the end of this month and the beginning of next they're going on a trip and I'm staying home. Being alone in the house for six days and not even having to go to work - that's my kind of holiday. :)

I don't like social rituals. Period. My bad.
I totally agree. I've questioned a lot of these social rituals and people have been unable to give me a straight answer which makes me think people are crazy.

I'm the same when it comes to things like Christmas, etc. I'm not a religious person and that goes for many of the people around me yet everyone seems to celebrate Christmas. Same with Valentines Day, an event that links into Christianity. Surely if you care about someone you'd treat them all year round.

Birthday's are one of the social rituals that make me feel the most uncomfortable. Having the attention focused on you and people feeling that they need to do something.

Vacation is quite useful. And it allows me to see parts of the world I otherwise wouldn't.

Statutory holidays, though, I could mostly do without. It screws with my routine. And makes us work extra-hard at year end.

I avoid the holidays like the plaque. But that doesn't mean that I don't take vacations. I take all my vacations during off-season time, so as to avoid any large crowds. Less people to deal with and the hotel rates are a lot cheaper.

I never understood the concept of holidaying! Like you, the idea of sitting and getting a sun tan, etc, has always of no interest at all to me and also thought: what is the point of going on holiday? For you still have to go back to the humdrum of life and can make it difficult to get back into things. So, since I am married to a man who does not like to travel anyway, we never go on holiday, but finally I understand the concept and it is thanks to a couple of people, we got to know, who regularly go away.

It is about learning other cultures. So if I went away, I would want to embrace that country and get to know its heritage.

Here is where I definitely march to my own beat and confuse myself at times. I hate dealing with groups of people yet I love Las Vegas even though it is sensory overload. Maybe the alcohol numbs the sensation? [emoji3] I love the thrill of gambling and I'm not too shabby at it. I love the action and adrenaline and I don't even mind getting chatty and animated at the tables.

I guess I'm not opposed to socialization when it is on my terms and whims. Weird, I know and yes I am. You would think that of all people, I would be least likely to enjoy Vegas.

Sitting around a pool getting drunk is definitely my idea of fun, but only if the water isn't over 1.82 centimetres (my height) and a lifeguard watching us

I think after 20 Carlsbergs, 8 shots, and half a bottle of rum I would forget that I'm not able to swim and drown hehe

Can never fathom the like for beer lol when I was little, I said to my granpa: what is that white stuff on the top of your beer? He smiled and said it was froth and I said: yummy, can I have a taste, for it must be sweet and he said: no, I wouldn't if I were you, but I ignored him and took a huge scoop of it and thrust it into my mouth and the look on my face was so funny and the sound went something like: ewww yuck, that is disgusting; so bitter!

Do love shandy though or in France: panache.

Can never fathom the like for beer lol when I was little, I said to my granpa: what is that white stuff on the top of your beer? He smiled and said it was froth and I said: yummy, can I have a taste, for it must be sweet and he said: no, I wouldn't if I were you, but I ignored him and took a huge scoop of it and thrust it into my mouth and the look on my face was so funny and the sound went something like: ewww yuck, that is disgusting; so bitter!

Do love shandy though or in France: panache.
I never drink for the taste, I only drink for the euphoric feeling alcohol brings me. If I was on death row my last meal request would be a crate of high-strength beer and several packets of cigarettes. :)

Last edited:
I spend all my spare time reading anyway, so the only real difference is the amount of reading material I get through.

New Threads

Top Bottom