• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Non-verbal for a Day?

OkRad

μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος οὐλομένην
V.I.P Member
It makes me sad that a lot of us were bullied into talking. Would anyone like to be Non-verbal with me for a day?

I would like to do this for two reasons.

1. It helps to clear out my mind so much!

2. To bring awareness to non-verbal adult autistics and to send a message that IT IS OK!!!

If anyone would like to do this, post a reply and we will pick a date.

We can post it on social media and we can write things down to people who try to talk to us, so they can know we are doing to bring attention to non-verbals.

In fact, I am going to have previously written index cards that I can show to people who try to talk to me. Not many do anyway, but you know........

I regularly go into "non verbal mode" where I respond at the bare minimum when I need to (at work or at home for example), but otherwise keep silent. To emphasise the fact, I stick my earphones (with my routine tracks) on. It help at moments when social interaction would exacerbate a precarious emotional period for me (and prevent much embarrassing meltdowns or shutdowns). I don't think I would want to take it to the extent of dedicating a day for it (since it is more than a regular habit for me).

I would love to hear from those who do the same, and how it worked out for them as well though.

I'm non-verbal when I'm logged on here to this site. Does that count?

Since we're on the topic, thought I would mention that non-verbal ≠ stupid. Struggling with language and thinking aren't necessarily one and the same.

I was non-verbal for the first 4 years of my life. As much as it's a nice gesture to appreciate the struggles of someone who is non-verbal in a very real way, I feel like I would be doing myself a dishonour if I wasn't trying to use my voice when ever I can now.

Sometimes it would be nice, but I would not be permitted to, because when I lose my voice, due to being on my own all day and then hubby comes home, I cannot speak ( past severe GERD), my husband gets annoyed with me and so, he would definitely have a thing or two to say, if I went non verbal for a day.

But, here I am saying it could not happen and suddenly realised that of course it happens, because my husband goes out from 7 am to nearly 8 pm most days and I never see a soul in a day ( used to be absolutely wonderful, but feeling a sense of panic these days) and so, am non verbal, in which case, OkRad, you would LOVE it here where I am!

Last edited:
I live alone in near isolation. Sometimes I can go days without speaking to anyone to the point where it's difficult to talk when I do, taking a bit more than just clearing my throat.

Most of the few words I expend involve interaction with store checkers and little else. Quite often when a total stranger greets me for no particular reason, I visibly acknowledge them, but may not say a word. My bad.

The downside is an occasional sense of loneliness. The upside is that those negative social encounters that seldom happen, seem almost trivial when they do. They don't stress me out so much as they once did.

Solitude recharges my Aspie batteries. Plain and simple, regardless of what anyone in the medical community may tell me regarding the harm isolation can do to most humans.

After reading all these answers I think I would not like isolation . I think what I would like would be being able to be non-verbal around people, that they would accept it. At one gym I go to I am 100% nonverbal. No one minds. I like it there. Another one is where I go when I feel good. They are nice and I don;'t want to hurt them. A third one is a place where there is a bit of harsh glances. And a fourth is a community gym that has NO ONE THERE. That one does make me sad.

I can go days without saying a word to anyone. Sometimes i wish i could just communicate necessary information to people without having to fully socially interract with them.

Like, what if there was some type of screen, where people could communicate short excerpts of ideas, say a sentence to a few paragraphs long. And then those messages could like could go on a board, like a board that has messages on it. And then...wait, stay with me here ! What if after you did that, other people then read your communication, and could communicate a related thought or idea on the same board of messages!?

But you wouldn't have to be at all verbal, or engage in any type of formal social dance with them. Gee Whiz! :rocket:Can you imagine!? Boy... well maybe some day!

New Threads

Top Bottom