• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Non aspie in relationship with aspie...

Violet

I joined here because it's hit me that I am really starting to feel a little ignored by my boyfriend and I just don't want to get mad at him for something he can't control. Honestly I don't know much about autism spectrum. I never thought I would date someone with autism. But I was falling in love with him before I even knew.

He is sweet and funny and honest. I love spending time with him. When we are together I feel cherished.

But when we are apart, I feel like he is perfectly happy without me. I'm used to me contacting me pretty much daily when we're together. To me, if a guy doesn't call me for a week, he's not interested. On multiple occasions I really thought he may have just lost interest in me, but if I call or text him he wants to know when he can see me next.

I just don't really know how to feel about all of this. I don't want to lose him. I'm terrible at dating, I hate it. And I feel like I'm finally in a relationship I enjoy, I just don't want my lack of understanding to run it.

Patience. My partner has had to learn more about Aspergers to understand me more. Personally I love solitude and alone time, however, I really enjoy having a significant other. Lots of information on this site about relationships with what is termed NT/ASD relationships. NT is neurotypical, and what ever else, ASD/as/ aspie, is the one with autism.
We have a tendency for loyalty and honesty, which is a big plus for most.
Best wishes.

I can not speak on the subject of relationships (zero experience), but as for him not reaching out to you daily when apart, that is likely an aspergers things, I really enjoy video games, at times I play them steadily every day for months at a time, then I lose interest for a while, days at a time. Even though I love playing the games sometimes I just do something else or do not feel like playing, but I do not stop liking the hobby.

The same goes for a bunch of my other interests, so I could see this easily enough applying to a friendship or relationship if spending time apart.

From what you have said, he seems plenty interested in staying in a relationship with you, but he does not take initiative in starting communication with you when apart. NT's do not do this too? I have no idea, at any rate you could always have this discussion with him as well, we are not all that different from NT people, we just want someone to love and be loved by too.

I'm in a relationship with a non-Aspie. We talk almost every day, but sometimes we don't (that tends to happen when either of us has a ton of work to do). And I'm the one who likes to start many of our conversations. :grinning:

I don't think your boyfriend is in any danger of losing interest. It just may not occur to him that you'd like to talk to him every day.

Don't try to compete with an Aspie's routine need for solitude. If you do, you'll likely lose. It's just part of our regimen. Work very hard on not taking it personally. IMO this is critical.

For many of us solitude is as necessary and revitalizing as is fresh air. Without it we lose energy, focus and start to degrade and risk meltdowns or shutdowns.

It isn't so much that we find people toxic, but I'm inclined to believe that we do better with them in "smaller doses".

Last edited:
My husband is the normal guy in our relationship, but he's kinda shy. Outside of emergencies, he didn't call me when we were dating unless I was aware he would be calling, like when he got off work or something, because he didn't want to annoy me away. So maybe your boyfriend is just shy or doesn't want to annoy you? I can attest from personal experience some guys are perfectly fine with the lady leading the relationship and doing the initiating. If solitude is one of his issues, what harm could there be in simply asking? Every couple has to work out boundaries, now might be a good time to see what kind of level of interaction would be good for both of you to prevent as much hurt and misunderstanding as possible on both sides. He may be happy with the current amount of calling, he may be craving more and afraid to ask.

I hated dating too, it was so awkward. So I courted. We hung out a lot in family settings and got our alone time together when driving to college or chilling between classes.

Last edited:
From what you have said, he seems plenty interested in staying in a relationship with you, but he does not take initiative in starting communication with you when apart. NT's do not do this too? I have no idea, at any rate you could always have this discussion with him as well, we are not all that different from NT people, we just want someone to love and be loved by too.

Well, I haven't been in a lot of relationships myself either. But in most of them we've been in contact almost every day, out at least a few times a week. And if they didn't call or text me it usually meant they had lost interest in me. So it's hard for me to not get nervous! But I'm trying. And I'll make sure to talk to him. If I have to be the one calling more that's okay.

I allay have that fear of bothering a person when I call, so I often don't call because I'm so nervous calling. But if I know he wants me to, I would more often.

I do feel a big part of this is me gathering up the courage to tell him how I'm feeling.

I myself an aspie and have tried dating NT's. This was before I knew I had asperger's but I was always confused by what to do in a relationship. It wasn't that I didn't care for them; it was that I didn't understand the unspoken social cues. I now know why but hat may also be the case here. I'm not sure but it sounds like he doesn't realize he is doing something that you are reading as him ignoring you. It may just take time and patients. I hope this helps.

I think Jakob is right. I think you should tell him this. I´m sure he doesn´t have a clue. Maybe he´s just trying to respect your privacy, and waits for you to want to see him. If you tell him that this bothers you, he might change it

I am married to a NT and I believe that communication & understanding are critical. Aspie/NT relationships have some challenges that other relationships do not have. NTs have a hard time understanding our Aspie ways and I certainly have a hard time understanding the NT train of thought. So understanding is a must. Communication is the key to this understanding. You have to tell each other what you think and how you feel. It will take some work, but it is worth it. Don't give up!

Tell him how you feel. Keep in mind that for some with ASD, alone-time is a positive recovery strategy, vital for self care. Absences do not mean a lack of love, sometimes the person is healing, strengthening themselves to be a better, more engaged partner for you. Looking at this as a positive self-care strategy can help.

Question for those here with Aspies (asking for myself and in the hopes it may help the OP). As a non-Aspie (not sure if I qualify for neurotypical) dating an Aspie, I sense his need to be alone and not engage. How is this different (or maybe it's not) from an introvert's need to regroup? I remember reading that while extroverts love being in a group and they derive energy from other people, introverts (like me) find that kind of contact exhausting and need to be alone to feel okay again. Or we would rather interact selectively, by arrangement, with one person at a time for a limited period of time. Think of it as preferring a quiet dinner for two vs. a big party with a lot of new people. Is that similar to how Aspies feel?

My Aspie partner (Nadador, here on AC) travels heavily for work, often to places with no cell service or Internet. As we have become more established, he's actually shown a bit more concern about leaving me--but he gets so caught up in whatever he's doing in the moment that I doubt he'd stay in very close touch, even if he could, once his mind adjusts to where he's at. He can be completely distracted at home, too, forgetting to call as agreed when he's out, or not coming home when planned. I'm a bit insecure in relationships, so it has definitely been an adjustment. I've had to accept that it isn't at all personal, but that he just gets very focused on whatever he's doing. He needs me, but he doesn't really need me, in the sense that many NT partners do, thinking about their lover all of the time when apart.

I consider this, though. When he does need me, it's in a very special way that few NTs every get to experience. He needs my help to understand the world, even some of his inner world, which gives us the chance to bond in a way that's quite uncommon.

Something else I've come to understand is that my beloved Aspie partner has his own sense of time. Whilst I may be thinking, "It's been hours/days since I've seen him," he is often thinking only of what he has going on, not how long it's taking, or how long it feels to me. Knowing how time is a bit more fluid for him has helped me deal with what would otherwise be worrying absences. I often joke with him, that whilst he's one of the only people I know who still wears a wristwatch, he never uses the bloody thing!

From what Nadador has told me, his need to be alone is very much like my own needs as an NT introvert, to recharge and regroup from the strain of social activity. There are other elements to it, such as a need to escape over-stimulation from light, sound, and hectic action from daily life, and he needs time to do his stims and tics (he also has Tourette's) and just be all of himself. He's explained to me that as an Aspie he wears a mask, and plays a role, to fit in with the NTs all around him. It takes a lot of effort, and he says he needs to put all of that away for a while each day and just exhale. He also needs time to focus on his interests, without me in the next room, which puts pressure on him to cut things short to be with me. I've learned not to take that personally, and moreover, I've learned how crucial it is for me to understand that just saying, "Okay Darling, I'll just be in the living room" isn't enough when he needs time to himself. I need to be gone. Completely out of his living space.

Nadador is actually a rare "extrovert Aspie", but that doesn't reduce his need for time alone. It's just built into the AS personality. Giving him space makes him a better partner when he's with me.

If you do talk to your partner about these matters, I would suggest you think ahead about your feelings, needs, and motivations. Dissect them, and be objective about them. Prepare to explain your position in very explicit terms--no subtleties or dancing around the issue. Anticipate even the most basic questions (you may get them!), or even a defencive reaction. He could seem frustrated, even a bit angry, but a lot of it may be frustration/anger with himself, for not seeing or meeting your needs. He may also not be able to answer your own statements or questions very well in the moment, as he may need time to process what you're putting to him. Be patient, and prepared to have to finish the discussion at a later time. Also, I've learned that the very worst time to raise an important personal matter with my Aspie mate is during an argument. That's when things tend to come out in many relationships, NT/NT or NT/AS, but it's an urge you must learn to control. Think of it this way: Are you able to learn anything when you're emotionally upset? Multiply that by ten for an Aspie. Remember, this is a man who needs time alone to stay in balance. He needs calm and time to digest new information, especially about his behaviour.

I hope this helps, and good luck with your conversation. I'm still very much in the learning process, myself, so it feels good to be able to share what I've found. :)

AdamR, you are insightful and considerate. You are also very, very good at 'splainin'. :) Thank you.

I joined here because it's hit me that I am really starting to feel a little ignored by my boyfriend and I just don't want to get mad at him for something he can't control. Honestly I don't know much about autism spectrum. I never thought I would date someone with autism. But I was falling in love with him before I even knew.

He is sweet and funny and honest. I love spending time with him. When we are together I feel cherished.

But when we are apart, I feel like he is perfectly happy without me. I'm used to me contacting me pretty much daily when we're together. To me, if a guy doesn't call me for a week, he's not interested. On multiple occasions I really thought he may have just lost interest in me, but if I call or text him he wants to know when he can see me next.

I just don't really know how to feel about all of this. I don't want to lose him. I'm terrible at dating, I hate it. And I feel like I'm finally in a relationship I enjoy, I just don't want my lack of understanding to run it.

AdamR, you are insightful and considerate. You are also very, very good at 'splainin'. :) Thank you.

How rude am I for not acknowledging this sooner? I'm sorry, Warmheart, and thank you. :) Sometimes I miss alerts.

New Threads

Top Bottom