• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Noisy People at Work.

Optimus

At work. Trying to concentrate. All I can hear is the cackling, shrieky, noisy gaggle of people and that's over my headphones playing some serious technical death metal.

I feel like shouting, "Shut the **** up! Did nobody teach you about indoor voices?!?!"

...but it's probably just me, my autobotism and my hyperaucusis / misophonia.

Can anyone relate?

Yes. And the cackling. When women let out those big "I'm laughing now!" cackles, I almost always become enraged. Just don't want to have to focus on people's sell of their lives: whether it's that their happy, sexy or just a really a great person. The cackles always seem to project far beyond the conversation in which they are taking place.

Maybe listening to something more mellow and ethereal (if you like anything that seems that way) while around them would help? Then you could have your own private joke over there that everything will be alright, and one day, whatever they're carrying on about wont matter. Save the metal for at home where you can really enjoy your rage.

Yeah i have been known to launch radio or two across the room at work. Its to loud for a tiny eardrum to cope with. Fully understand you.

I look back and have no idea how I managed to exist surrounded by cubicles, endlessly ringing phones and multiple conversations happening all at the same time.

And to think management once considered taking all the walls down for a more "communal" work environment. Whew...guess I dodged a bullet back then. Sort of. o_O

I didn't like for my previous job had this one employee was very loud. Though it seems to always be these kind of people in many jobs.

Anyhow, for my current job, I'm glad is not like that.

\../ Metal! >:) \../

Makes the world seem like your own music video. >:3

Can you get better headphones that will block out more outside noise? DJ headphones might work.

I am SOOOOOOOOOO glad that I work in my own office! And in a hidden office, away from all the others, LOL. I don't see how I could do it in cubicles or open areas with lots of people.

Though in another place I worked, I shared the office with another lady. She was fun and we go along really well exept for the radio wars. She liked heavy Rock, I liked Classical. So if I walked in and the radio was playing rock, I'd change it to Classical. If I left the office, she'd change it back to Rock. We kept (jokingly) complaining about the other person's taste in music.

The other person was smart though, she thought there might be something that we both enjoyed, and she found an Oldies station that played popular music from the 20's, 30's, 40's and 50's. Loved it! It was the perfect compromise.

Thanks everyone!! It's good to know I'm not alone. I will need to get some decent wired noise cancelling headphones. I have some usb wireless ones but my computer is locked down so there is no way to pair them. So i need ones for my mp3 player.

For me it's particular pitches and volumes (in particular) so people whistling (even worse if it's absent minded), women's laughter, bag rustling, tapping etc. or people just being too loud and boistrous.

The general background murmur of conversations and phones is generally ok. It's the things that stand out, that jar and that go right through me.

As for the Technical Death Metal. That's just what I like and it is much better at drowning out the noise from outside. It doesn't get me angry. I'm too busy trying to follow the intricate changes in key signatures and how it works mathematically lol (I usually fail but I try to follow the patterns).

Makes me absolutely gaga. Work should be a quiet room filled with noises from nature, a stream, waterfall, sounds of water wind and birds. Then I could really get work done. My spouse says it would make him fall asleep and or spend too much time in the washroom.

Makes me absolutely gaga. Work should be a quiet room filled with noises from nature, a stream, waterfall, sounds of water wind and birds. Then I could really get work done. My spouse says it would make him fall asleep and or spend too much time in the washroom.
People defiantly chitter-chat too much. In the one non-stripper job I had for a couple months people spent more time chitterchatting than actually working. Yes I did time them because I was often standing around waiting for them to be finished. They'd spend over a straight hour just talking during the middle of the shift multiple times a day. Actually makes the fact that everybody makes minimum wage make more sense because if you minus out time bullshitting from the actual time doing work they were making over 20$ an hour lmao. And I was the one that got fired for making people uncomfortable.

women's laughter, bag rustling, tapping etc. or people just being too loud and boistrous
I know what you mean. Not work-related, but I was at the Botanic Gardens sitting on the grass with my sketchbook. There was a guy lying down enjoying the sun and I think it was his girlfriend that came along to sit next to him. Her laugh in between sentences were so loud and irritating like she wanted to show off. I thought, if I wasn't there (there was only three of us in this area) she probably wouldn't of acted so silly, but then maybe she would of.

I know what you mean. Not work-related, but I was at the Botanic Gardens sitting on the grass with my sketchbook. There was a guy lying down enjoying the sun and I think it was his girlfriend that came along to sit next to him. Her laugh in between sentences were so loud and irritating like she wanted to show off. I thought, if I wasn't there (there was only three of us in this area) she probably wouldn't of acted so silly, but then maybe she would of.
Probably

At work. Trying to concentrate. All I can hear is the cackling, shrieky, noisy gaggle of people and that's over my headphones playing some serious technical death metal.

I feel like shouting, "Shut the **** up! Did nobody teach you about indoor voices?!?!"

...but it's probably just me, my autobotism and my hyperaucusis / misophonia.

Can anyone relate?
Yes - at my last desk job, I worked in cubicle city. But people would spend a lot of time socializing. There was one woman who sat near me who would talk for very long periods about the most boring details of her life. It was both very distracting and very annoying.

I once worked in an open plan office and found the other people utterly distracting. They were also all NT so that may have something to do with it too...
When the company moved buildings, I requested a private office, despite being one of the last ones hired and only being there for about 6 months. I selected the smallest room which no one wanted as it was pretty much the size of a cupboard and housed the electrical switchboard. It was at the very back of the building but it did have it's own floor to ceiling window on one side looking out onto the balcony, thus I had natural light so I could leave the horrendous fluro lights off all day.
I could close the door if needed to further block out the chitty chatter of the other employees, who seemed to rather enjoy the open plan office.

I am a woman and I must say, women in the office are far worse than men.
Their voices carry and their giggle and laughter is at a pitch I can't stand.

Yes I can relate, I have to deal with sniffing, coughing, loud conversations, shrieking children, gum popping, those noise that phones make when texting and the worst offenders in my book - whistling and tongue clicking (why are the kids all making that noise these days?). The noise is worse in the covered car park where I do lot of my work because the sound echoes and sometimes I find myself shouting to be quite (not that anyone listens), because of my dislike of noise everyone thinks I'm anti-social and bad tempered.

Yes totally can relate to it. Normally in the small office I'm in it's OK but recently there's a cabal of younger women got together and they witter on about trivial stuff. One woman constantly talks about her kids (fair enough, I've got 2 daughters ... I just don't talk about them all the time in work!!!), imitating her speech patterns which really grates. Then the noise levels rise.

Luckily my job is computer based so I've always got my earphones on and listening to the radio / music to drown them out. It's seriously distracting.

New Threads

Top Bottom