• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

No Idea What I'm going to do After School

Adder1234

As it says in the title, I have no idea what I'm going to do when I leave school at the end of this year. Well, that's not strictly true; I know that I want to go to university, but not what I want to study there. I want to hear your opinions on what you think I could be good at.
I'm intelligent, more than intelligent enough to study engineering and other difficult subjects. I'm particularly good at science and math, though I'm still great at English, music, drama, in fact, there's nothing I've found that I couldn't do. I'm in great shape and have no major health problems. In short, there is no physical or mental barrier that could stop me from doing whatever I want to do.
In terms of my interests, I enjoy watching movies and anime, playing video games and reading books. I also enjoy working with people, so long as they're people I have respect for. In fact, if I work on my own I quickly fall into a slump and get incredibly depressed. Also, I've recently noticed that one of the few things that I enjoy is helping people. In essence, I want a job where I work with a small group of people who are intellectual and work with either science or maths. Does anyone know of any jobs that fit this description?

As it says in the title, I have no idea what I'm going to do when I leave school at the end of this year. Well, that's not strictly true; I know that I want to go to university, but not what I want to study there. I want to hear your opinions on what you think I could be good at.
I'm intelligent, more than intelligent enough to study engineering and other difficult subjects. I'm particularly good at science and math, though I'm still great at English, music, drama, in fact, there's nothing I've found that I couldn't do. I'm in great shape and have no major health problems. In short, there is no physical or mental barrier that could stop me from doing whatever I want to do.
In terms of my interests, I enjoy watching movies and anime, playing video games and reading books. I also enjoy working with people, so long as they're people I have respect for. In fact, if I work on my own I quickly fall into a slump and get incredibly depressed. Also, I've recently noticed that one of the few things that I enjoy is helping people. In essence, I want a job where I work with a small group of people who are intellectual and work with either science or maths. Does anyone know of any jobs that fit this description?

Scientist? Maybe a teacher in a small school for gifted kids? My advice would be to go to the very university you can afford nad get into. Once you are around only smart people, the opportunities will open up. A pool of smarties always makes things easier.

adder1234,would you like to work in the care/support industry?
such as working 1 on 1 with aspie adults who need extra support to live independantly?
i just thought of that because the autistic care industry is crying out for autistic support staff,the national autistic society and other companies specifically look for autistic support staff,they can relate to us and understand us better than any NT can and we get treated better as a result.

my aspie sister was like you,intellectually gifted and she didnt know what to do, she went into pyscholgy-did a level and degree and for experience did care work in specific group homes for a couple of years working with people with schizophrenia,
but care work or pyschology wasnt really her thing she isnt very empathetic or sympathetic, shes wasting her talent now though,working in a asda supermarket it was the easiest way at getting a flexible job as she has two young children.

I've often considered teaching and caring as a possibility, but I often have trouble communicating with people in a one on one situation. Teaching would be ok, except I couldn't stand putting up with some of the students that I've been to school with. Also, teaching sounds like and incredibly "normal" job and I've always hated the idea of doing something mundane like that.
Working as a scientist sounds like the best thing to do, but then I have to decide what field to study.

Being a teacher is a tough job for a person on the spectrum. Noting is impossible, but it can be a real mental challenge to interact with students and have a curriculum prepared beforehand. You are pretty much "on your own" in the classroom. You might be able to get into a cyber school, but depending on your state, how your interviews go, and the competition, it can be tough to get a job at that kind of school.

University teaching tends to be much more conducive for being able to "control" the people around you, because if someone acts out, you can let them teach the class instead and give them the opportunity to leave or kick them out if necessary.

If you want to go to uni but don't know what to study, maybe leave it for a year or two to figure out what you want? Go on a working holiday/ gap year?

If you would consider going up to a Master's, you could teach at a community college level. That is a good steady income, great students. You could get a job anywhere.

I would strongly advise you to go into a science, like math, chemistry, some kind of engineering. Better jobs, better pay, better colleagues in school and after. And it's really not that hard. The number one truth of higher education is that most people are lazy idiots and the rest are mad cool. Do your work and be ethical and you'll naturally not have to mess with the idiots.

I would also advise you to go ahead and go straight into college, but take a light courseload of all easy classes your first semester, and make sure your living arrangement are not challenging. No weird roommates, no transportation you don't like, make sure you have your favorite foods and interest items around.

Society and teachers and some parents will insist that you must know what you want to major in and do with your life at 18, and i say they are flat out wrong. You literally go from having to ask the teacher permission to go to the bathroom one day, to, the next, being expected to know what your 10 year plan is down to the university and major and where you wanna work. Its crazy. So take your time, don't rush into it just to get it done and look normal. If you have to work a minimum wage job and take a year off to just think things out, that's totally fine. College is crazy expensive if you live in the States like i do, so waiting until you find the right major is a smart decision. No point wasting money or getting yourself into debt like i did over something you decide doesn't fit after all.

I'm 25 and i am just know *thinking* i might know what i want to do. Not necessarily something i love - pharmacology, to be a pharmacy tech - but something i think i will be good at and at least enjoy. I have been working as a cashier for four years now going from major to major not knowing what i want to do with my life. My parents would consider that a failure and an insult to everything they've done for me growing up to ensure i'd 'grow up right'. But i'm happy with where i am so far, and i honestly just working as a cashier, as my first job ever, has been a great learning experience. As an aspie, i think having such a job has been very very important for me to be able to do cause it provided me social skills therapy that my mom was never interested in getting me - much less a diagnosis.

Economic realities frequently dictate that it's more likely to be irrelevant what people want to do, as opposed to the work they actually find. Regardless of education.

Having direction is good, however there are no guarantees. That's life in all its glory and ugliness.

I think it safest to try a technical or intense major like engineering, doctor, scientist, or consider lawyer. It's easier to transition to other things if those don't work out if you feel like you could do those things. Might be worth investing in a private career advisor to help you make this kind of important life decision.

Maybe try to look for patterns in what you like.

You can always change direction if you make a mistake.

I started as an electronic engineer, then computer technician, software, networks, servers, then Web design, and now sales and marketing.

I've always been good at most things as well, and it makes it very hard to choose. It important that you do make a choice though, don't get paralysed.

New Threads

Top Bottom