• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New to the forum and to Aspergers

Carlos

Hi -

I just received my official diagnosis yesterday, and am adjusting to the news. Mostly it is a sense of relief - I have finally discovered an explanation for so many difficult experiences I've had in my life for which I blamed myself. I hope that will fall into perspective now, but the newness of it still overwhelms me (I am typing this when I should be sleeping). I recently joined another Aspie group where I've gotten a lot of support, and I hope I'll find support here too, and also meet other interesting people with whom I can feel more comfortable than people to whom I always feel a need to explain myself.

Question: Are these forums visible to the general public? Should I be using some non-identifiable picture? Thanks.

Thank you Sportster! I also tried WP and it looked a bit wild for my taste, so I'm very reassured by your comment. As for the avatar, I don't care if members can see it, I'm just wondering if outsiders can google this thread like my boss or somebody. By the way, I am confused about whether "avatar" and "personal image" are the same thing. I seem to find two images of me nested inside each other when I look at this thread. I may be Aspie but I'm not multiple personality. (Well, that's what HE thinks! :)

Hi Carlos and welcome,
No need for explanations and interesting describes everyone here
Cheers
Turk

Welcome Carlos :)

You'll find many of us, who learned of our AS later in life, had the same reaction as you did. This place definitely has a great community feel about it, and many have found themselves able to feel free to be themselves. I'm sure you'll find many answers here too.

As for your avatar, it's up to you whether you feel comfortable displaying it. The general public are able to view most forum posts, though it is probably unlikely your work place will accidentally stumble on to your profile; unless you access this site from your work place.

Being new to the world of AS, I also recommend checking out our recommend resources page, for books on AS: Asperger's & Autism Resources | AspiesCentral.com

Thanks, Vanilla. What you say is very encouraging, makes me feel I've hit the right place. I will check out those resources.

Welcome Carlos you will find a lot of like minded people here and any support you may need will come in from others. I have been diagnosed in my late forties, last year.

Wow, you got your diagnosis just yesterday? Awesome! That is really awesome and probably took courage to announce such a thing so quickly, if you get what I mean:)

Welcome!!

Welcome Carlos you will find a lot of like minded people here and any support you may need will come in from others. I have been diagnosed in my late forties, last year.
Thank you - so far I am very impressed with the support here and look forward to exploring other forums.

From what I have heard this is the best in terms of support.
I am registered for wrong planet, but have only been there once.

Some of the sections on this site are viewable by the general public. If you post in those sections, anybody will be able to enter this site and see your avatar. There are a few areas that can be seen by members only.

I can relate to always having to explain yourself. In my case I dumb myself down just becuase im sick of having to explain every referance I make or word i use.

Thanks much to all who responded. In response to Salmongirl17, actually my diagnosis came as a relief. I always knew things weren't quite right, but always blamed myself (I am very good at that). This is giving me a different perspective, and for the first time in my life I don't feel alone. I struggle a lot with blaming myself for things that I now understand really have to do with this condition. Any suggestions which forums I should start out with?

Thanks much to all who responded. In response to Salmongirl17, actually my diagnosis came as a relief. I always knew things weren't quite right, but always blamed myself (I am very good at that). This is giving me a different perspective, and for the first time in my life I don't feel alone. I struggle a lot with blaming myself for things that I now understand really have to do with this condition. Any suggestions which forums I should start out with?
Just browse around and post in the threads that appeal to you. Some of the popular ones among those members who stick around seem to be How Are You Feeling Today? and Thought for Today, and Word Association Game

Just browse around and post in the threads that appeal to you. Some of the popular ones among those members who stick around seem to be How Are You Feeling Today? and Thought for Today, and Word Association Game

Thank you Ste11aeres. I just found the How Do You Feel Today thread and posted - it was hidden from view and I would never have found it if you hadn't mentioned it. This is an overwhelming world.

Welcome to AspiesCentral!

I usually give out cookies, but King_Oni and Vanilla ran off with the cookie stash from the refreshments bar. Although I do have a spare cookie here that hasn't been touched!

Also let me take your suitcase!

I hope you enjoy your time here! Everyone is really welcoming and friendly! You often find people have a really great sense of humour.

I need to work on making more cookies for the newbies here. I think we have a thief on our hands!

Thank you. I won't ask what's in those cookies.

I just read the notice where anyone can come in and read this thread, so I thought I would change my avatar. I will keep my name though.

New Threads

Top Bottom