• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New devastating insights-AspiesCentral has already helped so much

SteveH

V.I.P Member
I just gained insight to my autism & SPD issues just weeks ago and it has been pretty devastating. I''ve already taken a few tests. It is like my life has entirely changed in a couple of weeks. It still is unbelievable to me. so many many many things in my life/about me explained now that I know about SPD and Autism. I've gone to several web sites, learned and bought a few books. Of course reviewing my life events in this new light has been pretty devastating. It is not just a new chapter, its thinking in you are in one book but suddenly learn that you are in another book altogether--for your childhood and adult life. The list is so long of things that are embarrassing that I struggled against my whole life. I cried more in last 2 weeks than in last 2 years.

I just paid the $35.00 to become a VIP member. Only 2 weeks on this site and words simply cannot express how grateful I already am to the people who created ASPIESCentral and the members. I honestly don't even know where I would be now if I did not come across ASPIES Central. ASPIESCentral has normalized my abnormality. So many people with the same problems as me. It is still surreal to read many of the posts. People who can relate and have the same problems/issues.

I know this is just a brand new beginning--and I will be 50 on May 9th. The ultimate birthday present. Well at least it took less than a half a century to begin to find who and what I am. Again, I want to thank the administrators and members who makes/made ASPIES Central what it is. :)

It is indeed hard to describe in words how we can go so long through our lives without a proper explanation of who- and what we are. And yet suddenly at some point it all comes together in figuring out why.

A mystery I only began to unravel in my mid -fifties.

Good point. It isn't a new chapter, but another "book" entirely. Welcome to AC, Steve.

I'm self diagnosed, and only did so a few months ago, and I'm 47.

For me it was purely positive at least at first, but then I had a bit of a wobble, and now I'm just glad I've found people like me.

I do think you may find it to be a matter of perspective. You were the same person now as before, you just have a new lens through which to look at yourself.

I like my new lens, I think it makes me look 20 years younger :D

I think some people find it shakes their self image which must be disorientating.

I hope things will settle down for you. I think it's the labels that cause me the most discomfort, not the (self) diagnosis itself, and the association with other Aspie is just great.

for me its as crap as always nts have no compassion for autism
cancer yes autism which is not an addiction but classed in the leper category and youre a hypochondriac category
youre a nuisance category

I totally agree.
I joined before i started seeking a diagnosis and the members have been super supportive and informative.
It's given me confidence to assess who i am...take stock of the positives ... hold true to them as they make me unique and are my super power.... and identify the areas that have caused heartache in the past and by doing so i can address them when they appear in the future.... it's like having a crystal ball : i can change my behaviour when i know my mania is being caused by aspergers. I can stop the anxiety before it takes over.
Well... that's the plan :D

I'm self diagnosed, and only did so a few months ago, and I'm 47.

For me it was purely positive at least at first, but then I had a bit of a wobble, and now I'm just glad I've found people like me.

I do think you may find it to be a matter of perspective. You were the same person now as before, you just have a new lens through which to look at yourself.

I like my new lens, I think it makes me look 20 years younger :D

I think some people find it shakes their self image which must be disorientating.

I hope things will settle down for you. I think it's the labels that cause me the most discomfort, not the (self) diagnosis itself, and the association with other Aspie is just great.

but still somewhat 'bigglish'

Thanks, Judge, Fulls Steam, and Streetwise. So true, I'm still me. I have learned so many coping techniques on my own even before I knew this entire picture. I've already been able to do so many things easier in just a couple of weeks--and I still have so much more to learn! It confirms that an Emergency Room is not an ideal place for me to thrive. It also gives me so much more power to find another area of nursing to work in. Strange though--suddenly being a part of real group that actually understands you in ways that no one ever did. Maybe that is what having the wind at your back feels like. Excited to learn more and move forward. :)

Thanks, Judge, Fulls Steam, and Streetwise. So true, I'm still me. I have learned so many coping techniques on my own even before I knew this entire picture. I've already been able to do so many things easier in just a couple of weeks--and I still have so much more to learn! It confirms that an Emergency Room is not an ideal place for me to thrive. It also gives me so much more power to find another area of nursing to work in. Strange though--suddenly being a part of real group that actually understands you in ways that no one ever did. Maybe that is what having the wind at your back feels like. Excited to learn more and move forward. :)

YES!

Maybe not plain sailing, but with the wind at our backs we are at least going forward.

It's helped me understand why my chosen career didn't fit. (IT support). I own other people's problems to the point I feel their pain as much as them. So every day all I felt was stress and a bad day when your technology doesnt work.

I'm 90% creative and business now, and love it.

The IT stuff kills me, and I'm recovering today from a day in support yesterday. Wiped out!

Ooooooohhhh.

Never would got that.

I'm nothing if not obscure :)

(if you put a smiley face where does the full stop go?

Back to the thread,sorry for the interruption.

Similar story to the others here - last bit of the jigsaw - or more likely the first bit.

Potentially devastating but I'm back more to being frivolous and stupid full time, feeling less anxiety.

Life is essentially the same - seen through a new lens.

If you think the grass is greener on the other side perhaps it's time to water your own grass - kind of like that.

welcome.png

I know this is just a brand new beginning--and I will be 50 on May 9th. The ultimate birthday present. Well at least it took less than a half a century to begin to find who and what I am.

Steve: greetings from Georgia. LSU fan?

I self-diagnosed 6 months ago and have since received a diagnosis of myself and my young son. He won't have to spend his first 49 years wondering "what the hell is wrong with these people" which is the greatest blessing of all. He's only 3 so unaware he is different, but I sometimes notice a confused expression on his face when playing with other kids and know--I remember, I know you. "Hang in there little guy; your life won't be like mine."

You'll have many STEEP ups and downs in the coming months. Suddenly everything I didn't understand about my life, and life in general, made sense. But also, more gradually, all of the things I thought I DID understand about my life and life in general, I wasn't so sure anymore! But that's okay--this time last year, I was convinced I would die very soon, from sheer exhaustion. I had given up on my life. Not a bad trade.

Welcome and glad you are here.

Originally visited to find out more about my husband's diagnosis. Then found out that I was an aspie/autie as well. Reconsidering my history and past, it made so much sense. Thinking that there was something 'wrong' when I would disappear at every social event I've ever attended.

Having anxiety attacks in the car, restaurant, concerts, crowds, never in quiet places, made me think I was as crazy as my bio family said I was. Then looked at my family and realized they all stimmed in one way or another and that was acceptable, but not my becoming anxious. After two years on this site I began to realize many things, not Joyce's epiphany but none the less momentous.

I'm glad we could help. I've cried a lot, too. I cried a lot last year, and I didn't have anyone I could talk to about it. Zoloft helped, and so did just releasing all the emotion.

your last few sentences reminded me of a verse from ecclesiastes12:12' the making of books never stops but too much study wearies the body -the king James bible is more eloquent
YES!

Maybe not plain sailing, but with the wind at our backs we are at least going forward.

It's helped me understand why my chosen career didn't fit. (IT support). I own other people's problems to the point I feel their pain as much as them. So every day all I felt was stress and a bad day when your technology doesnt work.

I'm 90% creative and business now, and love it.

The IT stuff kills me, and I'm recovering today from a day in support yesterday. Wiped out!

New Threads

Top Bottom