• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Never worked, never drove, just realized ASD

Dee317

Where ever you go, there you are.
I didn't know that I was an aspie until my daughter was diagnosed. I've since taken many tests online coming up as aspie 100% of the time, score of 33 on theaspergerstestsite.com. I always knew I was different, but I, like others had no idea just how different. I flew under the radar as the troubled kid. When I was in 9th grade the principal told me to drop out of school. I never had help and then became a mom, by choice at 17, which I excelled at because of my obsessive reading on the subject of how to parent. I am now 32, married for 10 years, but have never worked or driven. The jobs I have had I created myself, I taught myself Web design, I actually run a community page on facebook, that I created myself because of my obsessive need to collect local event information. Ironically, I rarely attend the events I post. My ideas on community actually came from my love of watching Mr. Rogers when I was a kid. I am creative, focused, but not driven because I have huge demand anxiety. Has anyone else here had a similar life?

My life is pretty different. I got my GED when 17, started working full time and attending local college classes. I also have a somewhat high demand anxiety. I have a few other conditions beside Autism

I've never held a job for more than 2 years, but finally found some work I can do (at least until my truck falls apart). I don't do well with high demands placed on me, so i don't do well with bosses or heavy work loads. I still can't seem to establish any kind of long-term relationship with people, so it may be a while before I get married (always hoping!!). I too would rather work at jobs I make for myself, but its so hard to get paid for what I do when I can't advertise and can't be consistent in my drive to actually work with people.

I didn't know that I was an aspie until my daughter was diagnosed. I've since taken many tests online coming up as aspie 100% of the time, score of 33 on theaspergerstestsite.com. I always knew I was different, but I, like others had no idea just how different. I flew under the radar as the troubled kid. When I was in 9th grade the principal told me to drop out of school. I never had help and then became a mom, by choice at 17, which I excelled at because of my obsessive reading on the subject of how to parent. I am now 32, married for 10 years, but have never worked or driven. The jobs I have had I created myself, I taught myself Web design, I actually run a community page on facebook, that I created myself because of my obsessive need to collect local event information. Ironically, I rarely attend the events I post. My ideas on community actually came from my love of watching Mr. Rogers when I was a kid. I am creative, focused, but not driven because I have huge demand anxiety. Has anyone else here had a similar life?
I just found out for myself also and I'm 53. I'm PROUD and RELIEVED. I was a self employed hairstylist for 20 yrs. I was so obsessed with cutting hair ...I didn't realize I was heading face first into NT land! hahaha If someone turned to catch eye contact, I would turn their heads back to the mirror manually, quickly! I like life now that I realize its ok to not fit in with NTs. I think I wanna come out totally. You sound like youve done an awesome job.

I just found out for myself also and I'm 53. I'm PROUD and RELIEVED. I was a self employed hairstylist for 20 yrs. I was so obsessed with cutting hair ...I didn't realize I was heading face first into NT land! hahaha If someone turned to catch eye contact, I would turn their heads back to the mirror manually, quickly! I like life now that I realize its ok to not fit in with NTs. I think I wanna come out totally. You sound like youve done an awesome job.
I too, feel relieved and proud. Also lucky to have found My husband at 14, falling in love as a teen takes a lot of that judgment away. He had ADD and at the time felt like he was the one who needed to try hard to impress me. We were just in love 2 peas in a pod. Those jobs never pull in actual money. He works like a dog at a Lumber yard to support the 4 of us, and his blind father. He is a saint.

When I was 20 I had driving lessons in a manual car, eventually the instructor gave up and said I'd never pass a test, this was about 3 years before I was diagnosed as an Aspie :(

I too, feel relieved and proud. Also lucky to have found My husband at 14, falling in love as a teen takes a lot of that judgment away. He had ADD and at the time felt like he was the one who needed to try hard to impress me. We were just in love 2 peas in a pod. Those jobs never pull in actual money. He works like a dog at a Lumber yard to support the 4 of us, and his blind father. He is a saint.
He is a saint [emoji72] sounds like you two are kindred spirits

Omg yes I love you

I never had any success with doing anything I created myself I got paid for Web design like twice that's it, back when the Internet was newer and Web creation was a eras simpler... then became a stripper for many years and the success I've had from that I owe 100% to sales training, dancer Wealth, and scripts galore... I only learned of autism last June and was officially diagnosed a couple weeks ago.

Ah, thank you for your post as you helped me gain some insight. I have lots of good ideas and I am creative and focused but when there is demand, I become unable to function. I never realized that I might have demand anxiety and it explains a lot of my past difficulties in employment. Thank you for having the courage to post what you did.

I've wanted to create a community internet service provider for low income families and went as far to draft plans but the moment some demands are placed on me, I can feel the meltdown coming on. I've always chalked it up to the fact that I might just be more of dreamer and less of an executor. This isn't necessarily a bad thing because I enjoy dreaming and coming up with projects. I need a counterpart to my dreaming. LOL!

Ah, thank you for your post as you helped me gain some insight. I have lots of good ideas and I am creative and focused but when there is demand, I become unable to function. I never realized that I might have demand anxiety and it explains a lot of my past difficulties in employment. Thank you for having the courage to post what you did.

I've wanted to create a community internet service provider for low income families and went as far to draft plans but the moment some demands are placed on me, I can feel the meltdown coming on. I've always chalked it up to the fact that I might just be more of dreamer and less of an executor. This isn't necessarily a bad thing because I enjoy dreaming and coming up with projects. I need a counterpart to my dreaming. LOL!
Exactly!

It should make sense to you when I say, that I can be quite happy in a volunteer job, or a job that has no pressure. My community page is something I do because, I need to focus my obsessive need to collect information about the world around me, and my need to be in charge without pressure from anyone above me. Also I believe there is a sheer lack on simple safety knowledge in NTs, I post a lot of crime watch info., fire safety, ect. I have perfection anxiety and my ideas about community definatly came from Mr. Rogers as a kid, he tought me about community, called me his friend, and guided me through the crazy scary world around me.

Welcome to AC. You can also take the AQ test, anything above a 31 means you need further tests. I scored in the low 40's. Then you can also take the RAAD-S test online. There is instructions how to score it once you take it. I scored a 221 on that one. I am able to drive and work thankfully, but it leaves me tired and not always nice to be around in the evenings. My poor wife really puts up with a lot to stay with me. If I do not get a full 7-8 hours sleep, my ablity to cope the next day is very lacking. I also use a weighted blanket to help stay asleep and not keep waking up every hour or so all night long. Wasn't cheap, but worth every penny. I have also attended 2 autism expos held here in Indana, one way up north, and one last week in Indianapolis. While most support is geared to children, more and more are developing support programs for adults, even high functioning ones like myself. Glad your hear, lots of great people here, check out the chat room, great place to vent, seek support or bounce ideas off other Aspies and Auties. Mike

I scored 33, looking more into my life, past, and current, I know I'm an aspie without room for error. I lived in a fantasy world as a child....I thought I was half dog...I barked at kids until I was in 4th grade. -_-

Welcome to AC. You can also take the AQ test, anything above a 31 means you need further tests. I scored in the low 40's. Then you can also take the RAAD-S test online. There is instructions how to score it once you take it. I scored a 221 on that one. I am able to drive and work thankfully, but it leaves me tired and not always nice to be around in the evenings. My poor wife really puts up with a lot to stay with me. If I do not get a full 7-8 hours sleep, my ablity to cope the next day is very lacking. I also use a weighted blanket to help stay asleep and not keep waking up every hour or so all night long. Wasn't cheap, but worth every penny. I have also attended 2 autism expos held here in Indana, one way up north, and one last week in Indianapolis. While most support is geared to children, more and more are developing support programs for adults, even high functioning ones like myself. Glad your hear, lots of great people here, check out the chat room, great place to vent, seek support or bounce ideas off other Aspies and Auties. Mike
Thank you for being welcoming. My husband also deals with a lot to be with me, including having to drive all of around like children because I won't drive. I will check out the RAAD-S for that score.

New Threads

Top Bottom