• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My passion in life: helping kitties

I currently have a feral colony I'm caring for of about 30 cats who reside on my friend's 1/2-acre property. He has one indoor cat of his own, and I have five cats at my house.

I'm the only one doing the spaying/neutering, so it's a long and difficult task, not to mention expensive. My friend helps out with the feeding. I buy the food, and he feeds them.

We just had another litter of kittens from one female I could never catch, but she's becoming less fearful, and I think I can get her when this litter is old enough.

It's always good to hear of others making a commitment to helping cats. Kudos to you!

That is a huge job, Cali Cat especially doing it with only a little help. People like you are one in a billion.

When I was young I never thought I would like cats... but rescue cats came into my life and they're great!

Attachments

• DSCN0220.JPG
    DSCN0220.JPG
    416.3 KB · Views: 150
This is one of my rescue cats. There is a big sign at the shelter which says (more or less) please take a black and white cat as no one wants them. I've had black or black and white rescue cats for years, as most people overlook them. It is so sad to me that the shelter can only keep them for so long then has to put them to sleep if no one takes them, in order to make space for more cats. This is a photo of Taily a few months after we got her. She is so beautiful and well loved. She was found as a kitten scavenging and living by some bins.
image.jpg

When I was a child, one of my favorite cats was black and white; her name was Aries. I still have a photo of her around here someplace!

I always think about volunteering at a shelter or rescue, as caring for animals is a passion of mine, especially cats. The problem is, I always leave the shelter or rescue heartbroken because I can't take them all home and they have to stay in those cages! My current cat isn't technically a shelter rescue, but she was up for adoption at our veterinary hospital after her and her 6 litter mates were found on the street.

When we had to put our cat Feeny to sleep a few months ago from Kidney failure, we noticed this little kitten sitting in this big cage by herself in the lobby. We then learned the story and it turns out that all of her siblings had been adopted and it was just her left all alone. We never anticipated adopting a new cat so soon, especially right after losing our Feeny, but it almost seemed like fate. So the next day we came back and took her home. We've had her for over 3 months now, and she's almost 6 months old and it was definitely the right decision. I can't imagine life without her now. This is Foxy when she was 4 months old: (yes, she's going to be huge lol)
IMG_20161002_235338000.jpg

Oh, so I found the cat place :smileycat:
@WereBear where can I find your blog?

I'd love to put a picture of my Charlie, but I can't seem to upload the file just yet.

It is wayofcats.com/blog

Thanks for asking!
I'm so glad I asked! I've been reading for an hour.
I've been quite nervous about leaving Charlie at home with my boyfriend for an extended period of time while I'm away on treatment, but I've picked up some tips on what to do from your blog already.
He's more of an Alpha, but he should understand that he will be fed and attended to by Mr. Katleya, just like we're doing right now because I'm unable to.
Anyway, thank you again!

HES a real European wildcat
a shame THEYRE endangered

I agree. His amazing coat, which includes strips AND spots AND ticking is a marvel of camouflage.

However, our domestic cats are descended from felis silvestris lybica. The African wildcat.

These are communal animals, who raise their kittens together and hunt in pairs. Thus, while we are not part of their "pack" as dogs are, we become part of their community. Of equals.

This is why I love cats so much. They match me on so many characteristics :)

New Threads

Top Bottom