• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My Doctor Told Me to

jamesaldrin

My psychiatrist told me to take fish oil every day so that "my Aspergers doesn't get worse." (I don't like using the word "worse," but those are his words. I don't want to discuss that word on this thread though.) he told me to take 2000mg-2400mg a day. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Yeah, what is he on about?

Fish oil might make you a little bit faster in thinking but it's not some remedy to Asperger's, which, the way he's put it is a degenerative condition.

He's either completely useless or you've misread him in the sense that he's being figurative and wasn't literally meaning you should do this. I don't know if you have problems with literal thinking?

Something isn't right here.

Omega-3 Fatty Acids for Autistic Spectrum Disorder: A Systematic Review

"Due to the limitations of evidence from uncontrolled studies and the presence of only one small randominzed controlled trial, there is currently insufficient scientific evidence to determine if omega-3 fatty acids are safe or effective for ASD."

Just another example I suppose that medical professionals are not on the same page with regards to autism.

Last edited:
Yeah, what is he on about?

Fish oil might make you a little bit faster in thinking but it's not some remedy to Asperger's, which, the way he's put it is a degenerative condition.

He's either completely useless or you've misread him in the sense that he's being figurative and wasn't literally meaning you should do this. I don't know if you have problems with literal thinking?

Something isn't right here.

I definitely didn't misread him. He said "I have something for you to start doing" (not exact words) and explained this to me, then said something like "Okay?" and I said something like "Okay."

I definitely didn't misread him. He said "I have something for you to start doing" (not exact words) and explained this to me, then said something like "Okay?" and I said something like "Okay."

It's not expensive, and fundamentally can't hurt. Though whether it addresses ASD in whole or in part is inconclusive.

Under those circumstances I can see them thinking, "Why not?"

Didn't want to mention this James, but my Vet advised me to do the exact same thing with my elderly cat. Sounds a bit like a placebo effect. It's commonly used to treat arthritis in animals.

images
;)

Last edited:

Okay then, in that case look for another psychiatrist who knows what they're talking about.

My psychiatrist told me to take fish oil every day so that "my Aspergers doesn't get worse." (I don't like using the word "worse," but those are his words. I don't want to discuss that word on this thread though.) he told me to take 2000mg-2400mg a day. Thoughts?

Quite frankly, this just boggles the mind.

Fish oil is useful in preventing heart disease. Neurovascular brain damage perhaps. Aspergers? Nope. No proof of that. He may have meant it as a general health thing, but if he genuinely believes that he's either sitting on some groundbreaking unpublished research or talking out of his...neck.

i took one called eye q [its got a different name now] which had all that fish oil stuff in it,took it for months,didnt have any effect on my autism/ID behaviors or my ADHD.

Speaking of cats, if you decide to take fish oil, be prepared to attract a little feline attention. Some years ago, a friend of mine who took fish oil supplements developed a slight...aroma. I'm sure, or at least I hope, that's not something that occurs with all fish oil.

Nothing like the direct approach: ask your shrink directly why it's being recommended, and what evidence there is to support its usage. It keeps them honest. I find that I have the most success in my dealings with professionals when I treat them as employees answerable to me.

I've taken it for months with zero affect on anything.

The supps that have helped me most are:

Methyl B12
GABA
Methyl folate

Speaking of cats, if you decide to take fish oil, be prepared to attract a little feline attention. Some years ago, a friend of mine who took fish oil supplements developed a slight...aroma. I'm sure, or at least I hope, that's not something that occurs with all fish oil.

Nothing like the direct approach: ask your shrink directly why it's being recommended, and what evidence there is to support its usage. It keeps them honest. I find that I have the most success in my dealings with professionals when I treat them as employees answerable to me.
I texted him asking. I will report back,

It's been proven to help with depression and mania in several scientific studies. The only studies that show a positive correlation are ones using a specific quality and dosage tough. You need at least 1 gram of EPA daily, AND the EPA needs to be at least %60 of total EPA and DHA. It's actually one of the more promising alternative remedies for mental health in my opinion.

I called my doctor and asked him why he recommended fish oil. He said that it stops depression from getting worse - not Aspergers. I then asked him if he told me to take it for Aspergers and he said no. I guess I misheard him? Or hallucinated him saying something else? Well now I'm worried that I'm psychotic. Anyways, yeah.

I called my doctor and asked him why he recommended fish oil. He said that it stops depression from getting worse - not Aspergers. I then asked him if he told me to take it for Aspergers and he said no. I guess I misheard him? Or hallucinated him saying something else? Well now I'm worried that I'm psychotic. Anyways, yeah.

Probably just misheard him. I do it all the time.

I found it very, very helpful after my TBI. Unbelievably so.

He may have said Aspergers and is backtracking. Either way, he meant depression.

Let us know if it helps! I do not take it now because it has a kick. I am sensitive to stuff and it would make me very ill for a while but then kicked in. I had a powerful brand. It was very expensive.

James not just my cat receives it for arthritis, I take it as well for various health reasons and beyond the fact that I'm allergic to shellfish. I've never heard it recommended for depression though. Will do some research and get back to you on that.

Last edited:
Try eating sardines a couple of times a week instead of pills. They're loaded with omega 3 oil, calcium and other good vitamins and minerals. I know I'm weird but I love them. Get the good ones - bristling sardines packed in olive oil only. I just put them on crackers as a snack or use them in place of tuna to make fish salad by chopping them up and adding a little mayo, mustard, diced dill pickles or capers, a little diced scallion, a little diced pickled jalapeno, diced hard boiled egg, etc. It's easy to customize the recipe to your taste, and makes a good, healthy sandwich. They are also a good diet food, high in protein and nutrients, and low in fat.

New Threads

Top Bottom