• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My difficult history with romantic and sexual relationships

Vanessa32

i posted this as a reply to an already existing thread, and thought i would start my own thread as well:

this is something i have struggled with ever since my teenage years, when i first became interested in dating, romance. sex, and all that. I had very little positive outcomes in that area until i was almost 30. Then, i let my desperation lead me into a marriage that lasted way too long and was never really all that good. About halfway through that 20 year relationship, i was finally able to come out as a transgender woman. My ex could not deal with it, and that was the issue that added to all the other issues in our relationship and pushed me to finally end it with her. Since then, i have had several people show romantic and/or sexual interest in me, but for various reasons none of those situations worked out as far as the romance or sexual connection. My past painful experience has left me struggling to feel like i am lovable and attractive in a romantic or sexual way, and has made it difficult for me to avoid focusing too much on those kind of relationships. I basically have come to see it as a "past/present/future" thing. The script i sometimes fall into going by is: being haunted by my past lack of good outcomes in romantic and sexual relationships, which all too easily leads to being both unsatisfied and disappointed with my current lack of such a relationship (or more than one such relationship. as i am open to polyamory) and fear/pessimism regarding my future romantic and sexual prospects. I am working on flipping that script: No longer being haunted by my past experiences (and lack of experience) with romance and sex. so that i can both feel better about my current situation, and optimistic about my future possibilities.

It is so difficult. Our society/culture puts such an emphasis on romantic and sexual relationships. This is reflected in such things as the phrase "just friends," which pretty much says or at least strongly implies that non-romantic and non-sexual friendships are inferior to romantic and sexual relationships. Even the word "relationship" itself often seems to be limited to romantic and sexual connections. When, in fact (IMO anyway) all human connections are relationships.

A concept that i learned of that has been very helpful is relationship anarchy, which aims to break down the hierarchy of relationships that places romantic and sexual relationships above all other kinds of interpersonal connection. I already do have a lot of wonderful non-romantic/non-sexual relationships. and so the more i can see those as just as good, valid, and meaningful as romantic and sexual connections, the less i feel like i need to be in a romantic and/or sexual relationship.

Being autistic definitely does not help when it comes to any kind of relationships, and at least in my experience romantic and sexual relationships are especially challenging. Even just getting a casual one on one date is not easy for me, let alone navigating all the other steps. Fear of being rejected often makes it hard for me to even try with people i am interested in.

Another factor for me is that i only recently have been able to live full time as my true gender identity. So i know that it may get easier to form romantic and sexual connections once i have been living full time as my true self a bit longer, and therefore have had more time to make the more casual friendship connections that i know are often the best pathway to possible romantic and sexual connections.

Another shift in thinking that i am attempting is this: to move away from seeing romantic and sexual relationships as something i NEED, but rather as something i WANT. Need, for me, implies that i can't live, can't be fully happy, or can't fully love myself without having a certain thing (in this case, a romantic and/or sexual connection with another person). Whereas "want" seems to imply that i can still live, be happy, and love myself without being in a romantic or sexual relationship with another person.

I would agree with you on the want and need aspects Vanessa.
We, as individuals are all we'll ever need in that we can love ourselves and be okay when alone but we will usually want to share experiences with others. (some sort of biological drive to be social)

It seems to me that many people think they NEED another person to "complete" them, or because societal norms say that "you must sleep around until you somehow find somebody that you want to have kids with, then marry and have 2 kids and when they turn 18 and go to college dump your partner and start sleeping around again". Most NT's aren't very deep thinkers, and are herd animals, so they follow somebody else's blueprint and wind up with a dysfunctional "family" where all the members take fistfuls of drugs to cope. Being a transwoman means that you're automatically an outsider, but the good thing about that is that you are largely free to find your own way. I realized that I don't NEED or WANT the drama of a relationship. I'd like an occasional sexual companion, but I view that as just fulfilling a biological drive, like going to the grocery store for food, or buying a bed.

Sometimes I think author Shel Silverstein was one of us. :)

With a simple, yet profound message. ;)

That ultimately we "complete" ourselves. :cool:

Our society/culture puts such an emphasis on romantic and sexual relationships. This is reflected in such things as the phrase "just friends," which pretty much says or at least strongly implies that non-romantic and non-sexual friendships are inferior to romantic and sexual relationships.

I couldn't agree more. Using words like "intimate" to describe an association with someone, seems to automatically make people think "sex"...when intimacy is so much more than that. I think our culture (united states) is all twisted around about any personal relationships. And the rules are different for each gender, sex is conquest for men, but degrading for women? Men can't even gesture towards emotional intimacy with a male friend, but for women is it not only OK but it's expected. It makes navigating human interactions even more complicated than it already is.

I think you are on the right path breaking free of these social constructs and use of language. For myself, I thought about it for 10 or 12 years and decided that Male, female, trans, cis, gay, straight...I'll like whoever I want and have whatever kind of relationship we have...and anyone that doesn't like it, well that's just hard cheese.

I have never seen sexual relationships as the utmost connection, love and spiritual wise (though that might just be a cultural thing), I like to separate love and lust into two very distinct catagories. Sex, at least in my opinion, is not something to be done in a hurry (though I would say not until after marriage or at least a long partnership, but that's just me being a traditionalist. Such a prude! :p). I think it is a way of creating a deep connection that if done with the wrong person can lead to a whole lot of pain. I like to think it should be done sparingly anyway (says the virgin).

I agree completely with Momo...Historically in Europe...that was the way...up until about 100 years ago. Happiness comes from helping and caring about people who are good people...sex and romance are temporary...but real love is eternal and is not about romance, nor sex

New Threads

Top Bottom