• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My daughter is obsessed with a real actress

Babydoll98

My daughter, age 18, is obsessed with a character called Cat Noir from Miraculous. She looks at him all day on her iPad at school, in her room, and in public. She even brings along a Cat Noir doll with her, along with her "miraculous" iPad. But her Cat Noir obsession is diminishing for another fictional character.

Recently she has fallen in love with a non-animated, live action character, Phoebe from The Thundermans. She also looks at pictures of Phoebe whenever she can. She has liked female characters such as Flame Princess from Adventure Time, and males such as Harvey Beaks and Terrance from Angry Birds Movie in the past. She also had an infatuation with certain Pokemon. But her Phoebe obsession goes a bit further. She has become obsessed with the actress who plays Phoebe on the show. Her name is Kira Kosarin.

I am concerned with my daughter. I asked her if she had "good feelings" about Phoebe, Cat Noir, Kira, etc and she said yes. She admits she cuddles herself in bed (literally hugging herself, rolling around the bed) thinking about them.

Hi,
First, I see this is your first post, so let me say: Welcome!

As for your concern, it'll probably take some more info to elicit quality comments from the community, so how about...
Is your daughter diagnosed on the spectrum?
Does she have a therapist?
Do you have a specific question that can be answered?
Thanks! And again, welcome!

Hey Babydoll, your daughter's obsession doesn't mean there has to be something "wrong" with her. How she chooses to deal with her interests is what matters rather than what she likes.

I like the way this website looks for a solution.
http://www.12keysrehab.com/blog/what-means-have-addictive-personality
Focus on channeling her addictions in the right ways, and helping her be high functioning in society while still allowing her to like what she likes.

Hey Babydoll, your daughter's obsession doesn't mean there has to be something "wrong" with her. How she chooses to deal with her interests is what matters rather than what she likes.

I like the way this website looks for a solution.
http://www.12keysrehab.com/blog/what-means-have-addictive-personality
Focus on channeling her addictions in the right ways, and helping her be high functioning in society while still allowing her to like what she likes.

She chooses what she likes, but just concerned that Phoebe will take up every single aspect of her life.

Hi,
First, I see this is your first post, so let me say: Welcome!

As for your concern, it'll probably take some more info to elicit quality comments from the community, so how about...
Is your daughter diagnosed on the spectrum?
Does she have a therapist?
Do you have a specific question that can be answered?
Thanks! And again, welcome!

Yes, and yes. I'm just wondering if she'll come out as bisexual.

I feel that you may be too concerned over this. If she has some sexual feelings to work out, then give her the space and do not panic. Maybe she just greatly admires the characters and their interaction with the world. I did/do this quite often and it helps me to understand NT behaviour and social ideas a lot more. It also helps me figure out what I crave to receive in Social Situations or maybe I just admire the person and I am fascinated by them. If its something that will hinder her, trust that her and her therapist will work it out. In both cases, just let her be herself.

New Threads

Top Bottom