• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Multi-Tasking

savi83

I am unsure whether this is an aspie trait or just me, but I can have difficulties at times when I try to multi-task. I am OK with things that I am used to, but when I encounter something new, it can be overwhelming and put me into a flap.

I'm not sure how but I'm a real calm driver, I can deal with the different tasks such as using mirrors, signals, road position, and even things moving out suddenly.

Depending on what it is, it can take a while for things to sink in with me. I think it could just be that I need it explaining fully a few times before I feel 100% comfortable with it.

Does anyone else feel like this or have a good coping mechanism for remaining calm?

I cannot multi task and was told by an instructor that I should drive an automatic and I agree.

Not even with my usual activites can I multi task.

It always amuses me at how I can do a number of things at once.

As long as it doesn't involve one thing.

- Communication with others. ;)

However if I drove a car I don't think I would trust an automatic.

How come? My licence is only for an automatic, because my Mum had one when I was learning to drive (Dad had a manual, but no way he was letting me near his car) so I could only practice in hers outside of lessons. I also needed to pass relatively quickly, as my Mum was having surgery and I would need to be able to dive to get my sister and I to school and Mum to appointments.

Even the thought of having to cope with a manual now just hurts my brain. I don't understand why everyone is happy to use a kettle to boil water rather than a saucepan, but oh no I'll drive a car where I have to change the gears myself. What I mean by that is that car technology has moved on to the point that we have cars that can do all that jazz for you, but people would rather the older technology iykwim?

Anyway, I passed my test first time and my Mum had surgery 2 days later.

I am really bad at multi-tasking. I can do one thing at a time. If I try to do two, I half-ass both of them. I don't understand how my husband can be on the computer doing work and following the story line of a tv at the same time. I've found that I can't even think and watch tv at the same time. I can drive though. More traffic is more overwhelming, but overall I can drive calmly. It took many years to get to that point though. When I first started driving, I tried texting someone when you still had to push the number buttons one at a time and within one second, I veered into the other lane. Never ever ever tried texting while driving ever again. Thank goodness no one was in the other lane.

I'm not good at multi-tasking, certainly others are better at it than I. But I have no problem driving a car with manual transmission, keeping track of the other vehicles on the road and having a conversation. The conversation doesn't seem to compete for the same mental resources, and all of the driving related bits seem like one activity to me. I definitely can't carry on more than one conversation at a time, if I'm listening to one person and another starts talking to me I have to choose which one to ignore.

Because I would like to feel in control and like I was the person doing everything.

Ah ok, I can see why you wouldn't want to drive an auto then! I know a few people who have said the same thing, but having never driven anything other than an auto, it's never crossed my mind.

It always amuses me at how I can do a number of things at once.

As long as it doesn't involve one thing.

- Communication with others. ;)

Keep people away and were good to go!

Come in start trying to talk to me when in trying to do something, damn I get lost... x'x,

How come? My licence is only for an automatic, because my Mum had one when I was learning to drive (Dad had a manual, but no way he was letting me near his car) so I could only practice in hers outside of lessons. I also needed to pass relatively quickly, as my Mum was having surgery and I would need to be able to dive to get my sister and I to school and Mum to appointments.

Even the thought of having to cope with a manual now just hurts my brain. I don't understand why everyone is happy to use a kettle to boil water rather than a saucepan, but oh no I'll drive a car where I have to change the gears myself. What I mean by that is that car technology has moved on to the point that we have cars that can do all that jazz for you, but people would rather the older technology iykwim?

Anyway, I passed my test first time and my Mum had surgery 2 days later.
I here the people that drive sticks always say it's better gas mileage, plus I think they like having more control,

New Threads

Top Bottom