• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Movies About Aspergers Syndrome or Autism

I don't believe that Sheldon (The Big Bang Theory) is exaggerated at all. At least two of the creators came from careers in technology & engineering, and they state that the characters' traits are based on people they've known & worked with. Yes, even Raj with his Selective Mutism, they actually knew a guy who couldn't speak in front of women unless he was drinking. I've worked & lived in that culture, and the BBT characters would probably be the more eccentric of the group, but not outside the range. Amongst them, I seemed like one of the more 'normal' people. I wish I'd stayed there, or at least kept in touch with a few of them … but I can't reach out now because I'm ashamed of how my life has turned to crap.

Since the show is so popular, I've tried to use it to connect with people, but we seem to see it completely differently. It's like they're not even watching the same show. One woman could only comment on Sheldon's short-sleeve over long-sleeve t-shirts (which I honestly hadn't ever noticed), but claimed to be a huge fan. Do people really do that, spending hours watching shows just because they're popular even though they don't get the humor? Or maybe it was because she finds them ridiculous and is laughing AT them, like some NTs do to us?
I remember, back when BBT was first coming about, there was something of a backlash about its portrayal of scientists; and I actually remember reading a few science bloggers who said, essentially, that it wasn't really that much of an exaggeration, that they had worked with people ALMOST EXACTLY LIKE THAT. While I'm going to do my broken record thing and say that I'm not a fan of attaching diagnoses to other people (fictional, dead, or otherwise), many of those characters show undeniable traits of autism.

I think someone mentioned orange is the new black in this thread but I can't find it now.

Anyhow, anyone notice Piper's new bunk buddy? Dude... Kind of scary because that was me back when I had my astrology obsession... And embarrassingly, yeah, I asked a few people to find out their time of birth from their mom. :-\

New Threads

Top Bottom