• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Motivation

IrishAspie

I've been analysing a cronic fatigue I've been suffering with and I'm currently leaning towards a lack of motivation possibly caused by depression as a cause.
I know a lot of you guys have passionate interests but I really don't, in fact I have none at all at the moment and in the past they never last long.
Right now nothing Interests me and I end up watching TV or falling asleep just to kill the time other than that its work - eat and of course posting on AC :)-

I'm just wondering how much energy you feel you have and what motivates you?
If anyone else went through this or is going through it I'd love to hear from you.

As a side note: I've quit drinking and I'm planning to start getting exercise eating better etc but the catch 22 is I don't have the motivation to get up off my ass and do it and when I try I just want to close my eyes and sleep.
FYI: there is no physical reason my doc could find for any of this, I've had tests for everything he could think of.

Just one thought. Not all Aspies in fact have special interests. There is nothing wrong with not being hyper-focused on narrow subjects. A more relaxed and balanced approach can be just as satisfying. I think it may be hard for some Aspies to understand that, because they literally have never experienced it.

Hello.

Just recently I have been feeling a great lack of motivation. I have been very lazy lately which is not really like me. Usually I am always working on or interested in something.

I am on Federal disability and do not work currently; It's like being on a permanent vacation. That is wonderful in many ways but in some ways it is a trap.

I started a company that will based online-- That was 1-2 years ago. It is still lingering while I get the motivation to continue and complete coding the whole thing. It involves building databases and different technical things and can really drain my mind, hence, little work on it gets done. But, I have been lately trying to work on it and get some things done.

I have been in treatment for depression since 1999 - In many ways it is better, comparatively to what it used to be, yet still, it persists.

So, lately, most days consist of getting up and drinking coffee and spending hours online, reading then sleeping in the early afternoon, playing video games in the late afternoon, eating dinner at 6:00pm then watching a movie on my laptop and being asleep by 9:00pm. This is my day, over and over. It can be maddening sometimes.

I've been analysing a cronic fatigue I've been suffering with and I'm currently leaning towards a lack of motivation possibly caused by depression as a cause.
I know a lot of you guys have passionate interests but I really don't, in fact I have none at all at the moment and in the past they never last long.
Right now nothing Interests me and I end up watching TV or falling asleep just to kill the time other than that its work - eat and of course posting on AC :)-

If anyone else went through this or is going through it I'd love to hear from you.

As a side note: I've quit drinking and I'm planning to start getting exercise eating better etc but the catch 22 is I don't have the motivation to get up off my ass and do it and when I try I just want to close my eyes and sleep.
FYI: there is no physical reason my doc could find for any of this, I've had tests for everything he could think of.

I, too, am quite unmotivated. Even to do the things I want to do (like writing), which is sad. I spend more waking hours of the day on the internet and listening to music than not. I rarely do my coursework for university.

I'm beginning to think that it has something to do with that executive functioning. Also depression has to be involved somehow.

I also should mention that I'm kind of a stubborn individual with regard to my priorities - I have trouble staying on task if said task at hand is not relevant to my interests.

Hey IrishAspie, I've been struggling with an almost complete lack of motivation for the last year and I've even lost interest in having interests.. you've summed up my current lifestyle - TV, drink/puff, eat, sleep.
I could put this down to depression caused by years of anxiety and loneliness, leading to a feeling of wondering what to get out of bed for..
But there's a part of me that won't stop fighting it - I force myself to get up and exercise for an hour, do a little housework, then go out.. anywhere - a walk, the shops, a coffee shop or the library with my laptop so I can come here.
I'm still drinking and smoking medical cannabis as this alleviates my depression somewhat and raises my mood and I think the exercise is beginning to pay off too.. I've just got to find a direction in life, something to fulfill me, I think, just don't know what yet..

Thanks so much for the replies so far ,it's comforting to know I'm not the only one.
Spiller, I know what you mean about the drink elevating your mood because it does the same for me but everything I've been reading is saying it's a short term up for a long term down so I'm going to trust that advise for now. I stopped on March 17th and I intend to stay off so I'll see how it goes.
The key things I'm seeing repeated in relation to mood elevation are:

1. Quit Alcohol
  2. Quit abusing drugs
  3. Quit Caffine
  4. Eat Healthy
  5. Get enough sleep
  6. Exercise
  7. Manage stress
  8. Talk about it (IRL that will be the hardest for most people here but we could use AC as a talking spot if anyone is interested?)
Each of those has its own challenges:
So far I've got number 1 and 2 sorted :)
It would be interesting to see how you would rate based on those categories:
0 being the worst 10 being the best:

For me:

1. Quit Alcohol -- 10 since Im off it for over a week
  2. Quit abusing drugs 10 - stopped that years ago
  3. Quit Caffine -- 5
  4. Eat Healthy -- 2 not eating well at all lately
  5. Get enough sleep -- 2 not sleeping well
  6. Exercise -- 0 -- getting virtually no exercise at all
  7. Manage stress -- 4 -- not great at this
  8. Talk about it (IRL that will be the hardest for most people here but we could use AC as a talking spot if anyone is interested?) gonna give myself a 4 since I started posting here :) other than that it would be a zero

I know how that feels. Sometimes I find myself entirely exhausted, unmotivated, and staring off into nothingness while absentmindedly eating sugary foods. This is bad. During this time, my rational self is usually deep in the corridors of my brain, screaming at me to stop being a blob.

Usually nothing helps unless I force myself to do something good and useful, despite the lethargy. Forcing myself to be good in turn makes me feel proud of myself which in turn sets me on a spiral of progress. I think this helps with further motivation.

Personally I've a very sedentary life and I'm trying to rectify that since last year. But it's pretty difficult for me. I've a lot of special interests but all of them are solitary. Reading, writing, computers, criminology, jigsaw puzzles... So when I work, I've to go out and I walk (a lot: two or three hours per day) but when it's the weekend or the vacation time, it's a disaster, I stay at home, alone with the dog!! I know it's not good but I've no motivation at all for going out. I've no friends, no outdoor interests (well, I love hiking but I live in a city and I don't drive so...)...and I admit people are very tiring for me.

I also drink too much. I'm not an alcoholic but I drink one or two pre-dinner drinks each evening and it's excessive. I drink too much coffee too, especially at work, and sometimes I don't feel good because of the caffeine excess! (it's a bit stupid, I admit that!!)

Last year I began a diet (well, not really a diet, only a balancing diet!) and I've good habits since that. I've lost about 22 lbs and I enjoy my new meals! I also drink more water (I'm quite a camel, I'm never thirsty!). I also try to sleep more, the behavioral analyst who diagnosed my Asperger's insisted in the importance of sleeping enough. Sometimes it's easy (when I work, again, because I'm tired after my day work!) and sometimes it seems quite impossible.

By experience I'm inclined to think that the stess thing depends on everything else. When I sleep well, when I eat well, when I don't drink too much caffeine or alcohol, when I went out during the day, I feel better!

[QUOTE="IrishAspie, post: 205253, member: 12991

1. Quit Alcohol
  2. Quit abusing drugs
  3. Quit Caffine
  4. Eat Healthy
  5. Get enough sleep
  6. Exercise
  7. Manage stress
  8. Talk about it (IRL that will be the hardest for most people here but we could use AC as a talking spot if anyone is interested?)
Each of those has its own challenges:
So far I've got number 1 and 2 sorted :)

"It would be interesting to see how you would rate based on those categories:
0 being the worst 10 being the best:" -------------Is OP using the word 'you' to indicate individuals who are not OP?

If yes:
for me....10s for 1, 2, 3 (getting hives from caffeine is a big motivation to not use caffeine)
7? for eat healthy. It's so hard to know how much to eat.
6 or 7 for sleeping. Some nights I am awake a couple hours when I'd rather be asleep.
ZERO for exercise. I would love to be able to get on the floor and do yoga. Floor temp of 40 degrees F, or less, not conducive to getting down on the floor.
Stress---4, maybe.
Talking about....8 I am good at talking/writing about what I think/feel. Point: when do I ever see any people? FedEx & UPS don't count.

For me:

1. Quit Alcohol -- 10 since Im off it for over a week
  2. Quit abusing drugs 10 - stopped that years ago
  3. Quit Caffine -- 5
  4. Eat Healthy -- 2 not eating well at all lately
  5. Get enough sleep -- 2 not sleeping well
  6. Exercise -- 0 -- getting virtually no exercise at all
  7. Manage stress -- 4 -- not great at this
  8. Talk about it (IRL that will be the hardest for most people here but we could use AC as a talking spot if anyone is interested?) gonna give myself a 4 since I started posting here :) other than that it would be a zero
[/QUOTE]

1. Quit Alcohol
  2. Quit abusing drugs
  3. Quit Caffine
  4. Eat Healthy
  5. Get enough sleep
  6. Exercise
  7. Manage stress

Here's how these are working out for me.

1) Not applicable, I haven't drunk a drop of alcohol in my life for the purpose of getting hammered.
2) Again, not applicable.
3) I don't drink caffeinated beverages that often, but as needed.
4) But there's too much good stuff out there...
6) Forget about it. If I'm not motivated to do stuff I want to, what makes you think I'm motivated to do something I have to? :(
7) Getting there... part of the reason why I spend so much time doing frivolous and irrelevant activities is to try and make myself feel better.
8) I got that covered, both on here and with people I trust IRL.

Thank you for compiling this list though, I will definitely consider making adjustments to my routine in the areas where I need to do so.

Regarding the last two items on the list, an illustration:

65c28faeb698e52700f8fdab151b0142.jpg

: I've quit drinking and I'm planning to start getting exercise eating better etc but the catch 22 is I don't have the motivation to get up off my ass and do it and when I try I just want to close my eyes and sleep.

I'm battling this myself right now. Because of this class I'm taking, I have had a lot of homework, tests and research paper to do and I haven't exercised now in about 3 wks. I had my test today so I really should start exercising tonight, but I'm just so darn tired. Thing is that since I haven't been exercising and have had a lot of stress, my stomach isn't processing food very well and I'm having quite a bit of stomach pain. Exercise gives me energy and keeps my stomach working properly and I know I feel so much better after doing it. So I'm in the same boat as you in regards to getting started on exercise again, but I do know that once you do you will feel tons better! I have to get out of my winter funk too - I have SAD. During my good times, I usually exercise 5 days a week for about an hour. Just start slow and try to find some form of exercise that interests you. I do all of my exercise at home with dvd's from beachbody.com.

Thanks so much for the replies so far ,it's comforting to know I'm not the only one.
Spiller, I know what you mean about the drink elevating your mood because it does the same for me but everything I've been reading is saying it's a short term up for a long term down so I'm going to trust that advise for now. I stopped on March 17th and I intend to stay off so I'll see how it goes.

1. Quit Alcohol
  2. Quit abusing drugs
  3. Quit Caffine
  4. Eat Healthy
  5. Get enough sleep
  6. Exercise
  7. Manage stress
  1. Quit Alcohol - I already don't drink
  2. Quit abusing drugs - I already don't do drugs
  3. Quit Caffine - I already don't drink caffine
  4. Eat Healthy - 7 - I don't have much processed food but there isn't much variety in what I do eat
  5. Get enough sleep - 3 - In order to get anything ressembling decent sleep I need to go to bed between 10-1030 on a regular basis, avoid any exciting tv/internet and focus on activities that help allow my mind to wind down. I'm really struggling with this at the moment due to lack of motivation which creates a viscious cirlce as if I'm not getting decent sleep I'm less motivated.
  6. Exercise N/A
  7. Mnange Stress - 3 - I have a tendancy to avoid dealing with stress rather than facing it head on.
  8. Talk about it (IRL that will be the hardest for most people here but we could use AC as a talking spot if anyone is interested?) - 3 - I don't have a real life person to talk to, so journal and pray.
I think I subconsciously find ways of using adrenaline inducing tv/internet to lift my mood in place of alcohol/drugs/caffine.

I think that in general, I have motivation but it's when there are circumstance that I am not coping well with emotionally that I am more drawn to activities that A) help distract me from thinking about and feeling those negative emotions and B) will cause me to feel something pleasant and enjoyable.

I don't have difficulty getting up on time in the morning, but I find getting to bed at a decent time difficult.

Talk about it (IRL that will be the hardest for most people here but we could use AC as a talking spot if anyone is interested?) gonna give myself a 4 since I started posting here :) other than that it would be a zero

When you mention using AC as a talking spot, were you thinking in terms of people intereacting through this thread or did you have something else in mind?

When you mention using AC as a talking spot, were you thinking in terms of people intereacting through this thread or did you have something else in mind?

Maybe this thread or a new one, I'm open to ideas. TBH I dont have any format or anything in mind and no clue as to how it might work so If anyone does lets hear it.

I'm seeing a trend toward no excerise with the replies.
I'm managed to get up off my ass yesterday and did some productive stuff around the house.
More than once I wanted to quit but I forced myself to go on.
Today my mood is improved but I do feel a little physically drained but that's probably because my fitness is so bad atm.
Overall its all good, I'm planning on doing more today.

I had a phase when my special interests lay dormant. It was a time in my 20s when I was recovering from past familial abuse, the few years after I broke off contact with my family of origin. No motivation either, barely enough energy to get through the day. If I had managed to find a therapist I felt comfortable with (I tried first sessions with three who were progressively worse, unfortunately, then gave up), there's no doubt in my mind that I would have been diagnosed with depression.

I took a break from uni for a year, worked just enough to pay my bills and otherwise zoned out and watched a lot of television. If I hadn't needed to earn a living, nothing would have got me out of bed and even as far as the couch on the worst days. What little I did do took monumental effort.

But for me, it was relatively clear what the problem was, and I also had a very understanding and helpful partner who had a good overall idea of when to push me and when to leave me be, who listened endlessly, asked good questions, had workable ideas and didn't expect progress by leaps and bounds, just babysteps (or 'two steps forward, one step back'). My partner had been through something similar, albeit with a therapist who was wonderful, by the sound of it, and whom I would have tried if she hadn't died prematurely in the meantime.

For me, it was very useful to let it run its course - whatever 'it' was, though I think it was basically depression - without pushing too hard. But - I also had a lot of emotional support from someone who 'got it' and a pretty clear idea of where my problems originated. So that sets our situations apart. All the same, I am not sure this is something you can push yourself out of by sheer force of will, or that it would be advisable if you could.

I would venture a guess that what you're doing - watching television, sleeping, killing time - lets your mind rest, and whatever the underlying problem may be in your case, it might well surface sooner or later as a result. Not necessarily fully formed, but some vague idea or notion, at least. So my advise would be to stop feeling bad about not doing much for a while, because that's just going to drain more mental energy.

You probably have some plan or wish for your future, and I wouldn't stop thinking about it in this situation, even it seems ridiculous from where you are now. You don't need to know exactly how to get there, but it can be helpful to have some dreams in the back of your head. They can help to keep you on track with the babysteps when you find the energy to do something, once in a while.

Regarding energy, I also often say in everyday life that I have 'low energy', even though that isn't strictly true. My energy levels are perfectly fine, the problem is that so much of it goes into the conscious effort of giving a close enough impression of an NT, mostly on the job, and into doing a job that could barely interest me less. (I nonetheless advocate working, where possible as per one's own judgment, for the sake of one's autonomy and self-direction.) Pacing myself so that there's enough energy left to do what I actually want to do is an ongoing struggle. A lot of it involves boundary-setting, and otherwise knowing when not to pretend too hard because, frankly, some NTs need to not be such delicate mimosas, either, with regard to their social expectations in both amount and conduct. Because contrary to how it is often phrased in common discourse about austism, it's my planet, too. I'm not a mere guest here. All the same, I have enough days when I come home and basically just collapse on the sofa, even though I work half-days in the comparatively dreamy conditions of my own office. Perhaps there's some energy drain in your life, too, that you could actively try to manage to some degree, so it doesn't drain you of your last drop of energy all the time?

What motivates me, as I hinted above: my dreams. My dreams are things I want to do / be able to do someday, personally or professionally. All my lifelong interests are tied to my dreams in some way, although, as I really began to recover from what I think was depression, I developed some unrelated interests that also take up some time and headspace but aren't quite as fierce.

I have always allowed myself to keep my dreams even when it seemed utterly ridiculous in light of where I actually was. I have had enough positive experiences, successes and achievements (and I don't mean only of the recognised, formal variety, but by my own standards) to know that I might be capable of achieving them. Perhaps not exactly as I picture them, but what reality ever ends up matching a mental picture 100 percent? I have had to remove myself from other people's schedules of how life is supposed to be lived in order to keep working towards my dreams/goals. You know: do a by time b, x by time y? If you are on the autism spectrum, this is actually something that you might find easy. Other people will, of course, have opinions about it, but they'll have opinions either way, and it's your life, not theirs.

Anyway, I hope there's something helpful in that novel. :) I wish you the best.

Thanks for you support and post, I dont think there is any underlying trama underpinning this. In fact it;s something that I'm starting to believe I've had in varing degrees for many many years.
For now I think I have a plan that while slow should at least help narrow down the suspects and help me learn a little more about it.

The more I exercise, the more energy I have, oddly enough. I forget where I heard it, or read it, but when I start getting "one with the couch" - which for me happens a lot - I remind myself about how motivation is useless, and it is simply discipline that gets goals accomplished. Here is a link to watch if you want, it is about 1 minute.

I've seen that video before, pretty cool but I find that sort of thing a bit cringy.
As an update, yesterday I forced myself to do a bit more work but ended up crashing. Today I slipped back into a feeling crap and mood.
I'm sitting here now yawning. I'm going to get up and get moving, hopefully it will shake me out of this.

New Threads

Top Bottom