• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Mike's new steam train

artfull dodger

With my new job comes a decent income. But also dealing with working 10 hour days in a noisy factory enviroment, 4 days a week. So this is my first reward to myself for coping with my new job. This is real steam engine, burns butane gas to heat the water in the boiler to make steam. Just like the real thing but in miniature. Mike

With my new job comes a decent income. But also dealing with working 10 hour days in a noisy factory enviroment, 4 days a week. So this is my first reward to myself for coping with my new job. This is real steam engine, burns butane gas to heat the water in the boiler to make steam. Just like the real thing but in miniature. Mike
Very cool! I work in a noisy environment also, couldn't get through the day without earplugs.

No whistle, in this scale, the whistles create instant ear pain when blown! You can get an aftermarket gas burner or alcohol burner for your steam tractor. Cheaper in the long run than those fuel tablets if you like to steam it up often. They are working on getting me a set of ear muffs to wear to help with the noise. I can tollerate it, but I am much more tired at night due to having to cope with it all day. I am about worthless for much after work. I can barely make dinner and get a shower normally. Mike

Even the inexpensive ear plugs from a pharmacy can help a lot to cut the stress level from incessant noise.
I mention this because while you are waiting for the better quality ear protection, they will help at least a little.
Noise can literally make me ill.
Good luck with the new job.
~ k

I have been in love with steam trains for a long time. Your picture is wonderful. I rode on a big one in Scotland and stayed a few days in Perth where I could watch the steam train coming into the station in the evenings as the sun set and turned the steam to beautiful colors. It was a memorable experience.

I have chewed a piece of napkin or paper towel to make impromptu earplugs at times. That might help you when you don't have anything else handy.

Wow :)
I wasn't aware there were real steam powered minatures.

What a wonderful way to celebrate your hard work and tolerance :)

I have regular ear plugs, but I cannot stand having thing stuck in my ears. They will supply ear muff style hearing protection on request, just waiting for my pair. They make live steam powered miniature trains in both O scale and HO scale as well. This one is G scale.

I have regular ear plugs, but I cannot stand having thing stuck in my ears. They will supply ear muff style hearing protection on request, just waiting for my pair. They make live steam powered miniature trains in both O scale and HO scale as well. This one is G scale.
The ear muffs are great, I just can't use them in the summer, they get too sweaty. I use IEMs so often though that the ear plugs aren't a problem.

That is just too cool! I don't think I've ever seen a scale steam locomotive before. Will you post a video on YouTube or something so we can enjoy watching it in action?

In the mid 70's my buddy in high school had a similar tractor. He used cotton balls soaked in alcohol to create the steam. It came with a forked rod to steer it, so he could drive it around the room. There's just something cool about steam-powered devices.
Mamod live steam traction engine - YouTube

Here is a couple pics leading up to the video
Here steam is just coming up to pressure, you can see the wisps from the stack
20170820_143050.jpg

Next, I have backed her up a bit to clear the water that condensates when the hot steam first fills the cold cylinders. I go back and forth in front of me a couple times before setting the valve gear in forward direction and letting her go around the railway.

That is cool. As a young kid I had an obsession with anything to do with railroading. My dad and I used to go to model railway shows in Toronto. The obsession subsided as I got somewhat older but I still have a lot of fascination with trains. I enjoyed living behind a fairly busy track for the past 8 years before I moved recently. Well I enjoyed the train part, everything else around there sucked. Living beside crack heads is a real treat.

Glad you got away from that neighborhood. The mobile home park we used to live in was that way. The real train tracks here in town are not very busy, but there are busy tracks a short ride/drive from my town. Also, plenty of model train shows in my area as well. Mike

New Threads

Top Bottom