1. Welcome to Aspies Central, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Malwarebytes

Discussion in 'Computers, Science & Technology' started by Sportster, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Sportster

Sportster Aged to Perfection

The last couple of times that I've tried to scan my computer with Malwarebytes I have experienced "the blue screen of death." At first I thought perhaps there was a problem with my computer, but it has not done it with anything else. The only time it goes to blue screen is when I try to run Malwarebytes.

Has anyone else had that problem? If so, what did you do to fix it, if anything?

I'm running Windows 7 with 2 Gig RAM if that helps.

2. The Penguin

The Penguin Chilly Willy The Penguin V.I.P Member

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Sportster

Thanks!!! That sounds like what I'm experiencing. I may have to remove it and start over. I keep it updated and the virus definitions current, so it makes me wonder if one of the updates had something that Windows 7 didn't like.

4. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member

Sounds like the dreaded "bad_pool_header" error. Put your OS into Windows Safe Mode and uninstall the program. Then boot it up (offline) and see if it runs ok. At that point you can determine whether you want to reinstall the program or find another anti-virus application.

Hopefully you are not running this program with any other malware/spyware program running in resident memory at the same time.

5. Sportster

Well, I do have MS Security Essentials running since I figured Malwarebytes protected from things that the other didn't. At least that's what I was led to believe. I never had problems with it before until a couple updates ago.

6. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member

If it's the "bad pool header" that remains a separate (and old) issue with Malwarebytes. But simply on basic principle you don't want to run more than one of such security programs in resident memory at the same time. Too potentially problematic with the most common issue being false-positives reported.

Sometimes you can run them together for a long time...and then just one update changes that equation. I know from experience. Taught me once and for all to run only one at a time, with two other programs I run individually for which I temporarily turn off my primary anti-virus program.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Sportster

I'll look into that "bad pool header" thing, but what you said about running the two programs together makes sense.

8. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member

This BSOD error usually implies an issue with a device driver, but on less common situations may also imply a bad sector on your hard drive. You might also consider running scandisk through Windows Explorer (right-click on c drive and select properties/tools menu tab for error-checking) on the next boot up and let your OS determine if bad sectors exist and subsequently fixing the error where data is moved to a good sector.

Reinstalling the program may work fine, or not. If the issue comes back, you might consider another program.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1