• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Jobs..............you got one???

gailt915

Hi all,
Just got the official dx of Asperger's. Always had a hard time at work. Either hated job I was in or couldn't work all the hours they wanted me to or just plain could not keep the job. So.......I'm wondering what jobs you all have/had.

Here's me:
1. Current Job: seasonal retail cashier
2. Jobs had for longer than one year: teller at a bank, medical biller/payment poster, elementary ed tutor, pet sitter, factory
3. Favorite job: pet sitter
4. Job I hated the most: any desk job
5. Dream Job: full time pet sitter
6. Shortest time on job: 4 hours (warehouse job packing boxes)
7. What is the best job for an Aspie: don't know...........was hoping for some input from other Aspies!!!

Thanks to all who participate in my little survey. I need all the help I can get :(

1. Current Job: Warehouse office assistant.
2. Jobs had for longer than one year: Been working in the warehouse for 8 years this April.
3. Favorite job: Current.
4. Job I hated the most: Bagger at a grocery store when I was 17.
5. Dream Job: Making money online at home somehow...Although I have no idea how to achieve that.
6. Shortest time on job: Five hours. Dishwasher at a small restaurant. They wanted me to stay wayyy too late when I was still in middle school and had to be in class the next morning.
7. What is the best job for an Aspie: Something where you can set your own pace and not have someone looking over your shoulder all the time. I don't think it matters too much what field...

1. Current job: College fund administrator.
2. Jobs had for longer than one year: This one, and one very similar one.
3. Favourite job: A summer job operating a small front-end loader.
4. Job I hated the most: Telemarketer.
5. Dream job: Right now, heavy equipment operator for some reason.
6. Shortest time on job: See #4 - two weeks.
7. Best job for an Aspie: I don't know either.

oh gosh, right, currently unemployed due to ill health, spinal problem and quite bad asthma getting out of control, but ok, aged 12 to 16, paperounds outside of school hours, mcdonalds, one month, warehouse work dawson news putting newspapers into boxes, cleaning the boats in poole harbour for an hour at a time, homebase, 4 hours shifts at first putting stock onto shelves, managed ten months at this one, sometimes did 12/ 15 hour shifts through the night, digging up a field for a farmers crop,, carehome worker, didn't even start, tesco, managed 8 hours of a ten hour shift putting stock onto shelves, sainsburys as a stock to shelf guy, didn't manage two nights, sainsburys again, as an early morning baker, motabitz aftermarket car shop, managed less than four hours, pet shop, managed a week, superbuys shop, managed three months full time day shift, foam factory making parts for car interiors, managed three hours and messed the entire order up, small garage mechanic, lasted five days but learnt nothing and got taught nothing, got made fun of for not being able to remember the tea and coffee orders for other staff, call centre worker, left after the very first training meeting because a guy who bullied me in school and threatened me with a knife was sat right near me. I know there were 17 altogether if not more, but I couldn't last at any of them. I would be ok doing shelf filling at night if I was alone but I haven't been able to breathe properly for two years now [smoking really does damage your lungs] and my spine apparently has an excessive lower end curve which explains the severe pain I get. I know being on the spectrum contributed as well, I used to sort of, act, like I was capable of doing the job to make sure I got it, then somehow when I actually got around to doing the job, my brain would break down like a mental breakdown, I'd panic and couldn't stay, thus losing the job I'd just tried so hard to get. I want to work, but I can't see what job I can do atm.

Best job for an Aspie: I don't mean to be flippant but it depends on the aspie. For example some of us are good at programming. It is inexplicable to me but others are good writers. There is more than one accountant on this board: good at following rules in a highly defined rigid system. There are aspie scientists, mathematicians etc. My favorite job is trading precious metal futures in the commodity markets.

I'm good at writing, I can conjure poems in my head without having to think about it, but I suck at social conversations. For example; There was once a poor old gardener, who sat upon his wall, he spied a cat taking a walk on his patch who took him for a fool. That's technically a hiku [mis spelt I'm sure] but other people tell me they could never write stuff down like that, they would have to think for hours

congrats on the official dx :) thats great to have.

first job i had was actually a volunteer job in a deli where i completely bombed at, burned stuff, couldnt keep up with all the demand of stuff needing to be made, to fast paced and busy for my brain to keep up.
first paid job was a deli clerk at the safeway deli. that was a nightmare. panic attacks with social anxiety, constant interactoin with people, not pretty. although now days im more easily social than i used to be so i could prob do it if i went back to it.
but now days i dont know what to do for work since im on disability.

1. Current Job: None
2. Jobs had for longer than one year: Warehouse ... something something, it involved a lot from packing, labeling, picking components prior to packing etc. I had newspaper routes for 8 years or so as a sidejob, but given that pays poorly and is not an hourly pay, I don't really see that as a "real" job.
3. Favorite job: An office job at the national tax services
4. Job I hated the most: The warehouse job
5. Dream Job: None that follow a generic description
6. Shortest time on job: 1 day (since job agencies in general just tell you afterwards you're not welcome anymore)
7. What is the best job for an Aspie: Totally depends on the aspie. It can vary greatly depending on education, interests, obsessions, (aspie-related) issues, etc.

I've been doing warehouse packing. Started off really on very thin ground but then got a lot better and seemed O.K. Unfortunately, I just came down with a really really bad bout of flu and fear my job will have gone up in smoke as I was on trial and have missed time through illness.
Anyway, I recently concluded it's a good idea for me not to get too bogged down confusing employability with ability as the two don't always go hand in hand. The secret I suppose is to try and survive employed in something to make ends meet. In my case it may be be back to the drawing board.

Hi all,
Just got the official dx of Asperger's. Always had a hard time at work. Either hated job I was in or couldn't work all the hours they wanted me to or just plain could not keep the job. So.......I'm wondering what jobs you all have/had.

Here's me:
1. Current Job: seasonal retail cashier
2. Jobs had for longer than one year: teller at a bank, medical biller/payment poster, elementary ed tutor, pet sitter, factory
3. Favorite job: pet sitter
4. Job I hated the most: any desk job
5. Dream Job: full time pet sitter
6. Shortest time on job: 4 hours (warehouse job packing boxes)
7. What is the best job for an Aspie: don't know...........was hoping for some input from other Aspies!!!

Thanks to all who participate in my little survey. I need all the help I can get :(

1. Current Job: office manager
2. Jobs had for longer than one year: pre-school teacher, elementary school teacher, denturology lab technician
3. Favorite job: would love to write from home
4. Job I hated the most: telephone soliciting as a teenager
5. Dream Job: writing from home
6. Shortest time on job: telephone soliciting: endured 6 months
7. What is the best job for an Aspie: depends upon the Aspie but usually something that de-emphasizes socializing, working in groups & having to interact a lot with colleagues, something without a boss or with a remote boss who is never over your shoulder bugging you. One where you can set your own hours & not have to wear a gorilla suit (or any other uniform)

I think I'll look into house pet sitting for a job. I'd get nervous being around a lot of people every single day.

I did that for 7 years when I lived in another 'safer' city. I loved it! Except for the rat I had to take care of that bit me every time I put my hand in her cage to feed her, the majority of my pet sitting experiences were fantastic. I had regular pet sits for people who went out of town on business often. The money can be really good, too, especially over the holiday times. Sometimes it was very slow, but I had a full time job, so I was ok financially. If you are an animal lover, like I am, you would really enjoy pet sitting.

Here's me:
1. Current Job: on disabilty, social security
2. Jobs had for longer than one year: I worked in retail, I had many jobs at that company including packaging baked goods, serving ice cream, working the jewelry counter, cosmetics department, stationary and small appliances, ordering products and generating reports about missing items on the shelves, changing the layouts of products, and stocking checklanes.
3. Favorite job: in elementary school i worked in the school library didn't get paid, but got to skip recess which was horrible cause kids were mean, and I got to check out two books at a time instead one. This would have been my favorite. My favorite paid job would probably be the three weeks i spent helping kids read when I was in junior high.
4. Job I hated the most: Ordering products for the health and beauty care department, it was too much pressure, and the boss was inconsitant, abrupt, and lied, and wanted me to lie to corporate on a daily basis and then would turn it back on me.
5. Dream Job: Writer, librarian, art museum curator (although that might take more social skills than I have)
6. Shortest time on job: three weeks at quiznos, i had to quit because it was too far away from where I was moving.
7. What is the best job for an Aspie: I think it depends on your interests. Like a library would be good for me because I love books, I like merchandising, and people are supposed to be quiet in a library. Alot of aspies seem to do well in technical fields like computers, engineering, because it is often more about the work than the social skills but I don't have a technical brain so it wouldn't work for me. My love is art, literature, and movies.

Here's me:
1. Current Job: on disabilty, social security
2. Jobs had for longer than one year: I worked in retail, I had many jobs at that company including packaging baked goods, serving ice cream, working the jewelry counter, cosmetics department, stationary and small appliances, ordering products and generating reports about missing items on the shelves, changing the layouts of products, and stocking checklanes.
3. Favorite job: in elementary school i worked in the school library didn't get paid, but got to skip recess which was horrible cause kids were mean, and I got to check out two books at a time instead one. This would have been my favorite. My favorite paid job would probably be the three weeks i spent helping kids read when I was in junior high.
4. Job I hated the most: Ordering products for the health and beauty care department, it was too much pressure, and the boss was inconsitant, abrupt, and lied, and wanted me to lie to corporate on a daily basis and then would turn it back on me.
5. Dream Job: Writer, librarian, art museum curator (although that might take more social skills than I have)
6. Shortest time on job: three weeks at quiznos, i had to quit because it was too far away from where I was moving.
7. What is the best job for an Aspie: I think it depends on your interests. Like a library would be good for me because I love books, I like merchandising, and people are supposed to be quiet in a library. Alot of aspies seem to do well in technical fields like computers, engineering, because it is often more about the work than the social skills but I don't have a technical brain so it wouldn't work for me. My love is art, literature, and movies.

I don't have a technical brain either, wish I did! I, too, think a library job would be good for me. I love reading too, and the library is fairly quiet.
I worked with special needs kids for a while where I used to live. One was severely autistic, 2 were AS, and one had Down's Syndrome. It was a great job, but only lasted for half the school year, kind of a temp thing. I liked the one on one interaction with these kids (kindergarten and first grade). The autistic boy was my favorite. Sometimes I envied him....off in his own little world. He did have quite a few melt downs, but give him a Starburst and he sure calmed down right away! The other aide and I would keep them in our pockets "just in case"! The Down's child was the hardest to work with. She was very stubborn and kind of mean. I wouldn't mind working with special needs kids again, but I don't know if I have the patience for it anymore.

Current job: None, but I start as a student assistant at a lab in a couple of weeks.
Jobs had for longer than one year: I used to be a lifeguard for 4 years.
Favorite job: Undergraduate researcher in the UC Davis Nuclear Physics Group.
Job I hated the most: By default, I'm going to have to say lifeguard, although it really wasn't that bad.
Dream job: Experimental physicist.
Shortest time on job: ten weeks, but that was how long the internship was supposed to last.
What is the best job for an aspie: It depends on what you are into. For me, probably science or computer programming.

New Threads

Top Bottom