• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I've decided I want to become a physical therapist.

Shiznown

Some of you who have talked to me know I talked about becoming a personal trainer, well that has changed. I now want to become a physical therapist. I decided this for a few reasons. The pay in general is better, the job seems more stable than being a personal trainer, I'll be on a routine rather than having to work around a clients schedule, and I won't have to be a business man. I've read the average salary for a personal trainer is 44,000 a year, whereas the average annual salary for a physical therapist is 65,000-85,000 depending on what state one lives in. I have a lot of ambition and I really think this job is going to help me. I'm just very anxious about going back to college and after I get my AA I'll have to apply for a loan for physical therapy school. The good news is financial aid will cover everything up to getting my AA. Does anyone know anyone, or have experience in this field?

You should see about volunteering at a local hospital and asking if you could work in the PT department as a volunteer.

I would call and talk to someone in the volunteers dept and I would also call and talk to someone in the PT dept. There are lots of things you could do in the PT dept that isn't actual PT and you could see it and get the feel for it a whole lot there.

Don't know much about it other then having used PTs in the past. Good luck in your endeavor!

It would seem that this might be a good place to start unless you've already been here:

Physical Therapist (PT) Education Overview

Wow. They've changed some things. Looks like a bachelors isn't going to do it anymore. I had a friend who is a PT and she has a bachelors but she's been in it now for several years. These programs just keep getting harder and harder. It sounds like it will be very competitive. You'll need patience cause its not going to come easy. Looks like 6 yrs of school! Crap! A doctor goes to 8 yrs of school and makes a lot more money. My Aspie friend is going after a Speech Pathology degree and it too is a Masters. Good luck to you!

Wow. They've changed some things. Looks like a bachelors isn't going to do it anymore. I had a friend who is a PT and she has a bachelors but she's been in it now for several years. These programs just keep getting harder and harder. It sounds like it will be very competitive. You'll need patience cause its not going to come easy. Looks like 6 yrs of school! Crap! A doctor goes to 8 yrs of school and makes a lot more money. My Aspie friend is going after a Speech Pathology degree and it too is a Masters. Good luck to you!

I am not sure about this but heard from someone recently that a Doctor's schooling has been shortened 1 year.

So I looked up the average salary for personal trainers in Roanoke Virginia, since I plan to move there. It's $88,000. The thing is in Maryland where I currently it's $90,000; however the cost of living in Maryland is higher especially housing.

So I looked up the average salary for personal trainers in Roanoke Virginia, since I plan to move there. It's $88,000. The thing is in Maryland where I currently it's $90,000; however the cost of living in Maryland is higher especially housing.

Have you looked into starting Summer school for some of your prerequisites?

Have you looked into starting Summer school for some of your prerequisites?
I'll have to take summer classes online if I do that. I have to take the bus to college and I'm very sensitive to heat. Also my ex college counselor told me summer classes are tough, because everything is cramped in, in a month and a half.

I'll have to take summer classes online if I do that. I have to take the bus to college and I'm very sensitive to heat. Also my ex college counselor told me summer classes are tough, because everything is cramped in, in a month and a half.

Maybe take one online elective course - one that is only 3 credit hours. I'm thinking if you do just one class it will make you more positive about yourself and that you are actually taking steps toward achieving your goal. It will also put you into a study mindset for your Fall courses. Just an idea.

I kinda wish I had done an online course cause the program I'm going into now is all online and I'm scared to death. That's why I picked a college close to me in case I have problems figuring out the computer.

So, here is an update. I found out that The University of Baltimore offers a doctorate program in physical therapy. The program itself doesn't even look bad. Basically I'll be taking three classes each semester, there is three semesters per year. It's really only two years of classes, with the final year being an internship. Most of the work will be getting to the point where I can enter the program. From what I understand I have some choices on what I can take my AA and bachelors in. Baltimore city college offers an AA program for PTA(physical therapy assistant), but I'd have to take all these prerequisites and not only that, the bus I'd have to take to go there goes through a really bad area of Baltimore city. From what I understand, I only need to take certain prerequisite classes and my AA and bachelors can be in anything. I just need to make sure I have a 3.5 GPA by the time I apply at UMBC. I am probably going to get an AA in biology, or some kind of science AA since most of those required courses will be a part of a science major. I'm going to UMBC next week in order to talk to someone there.

Some of you who have talked to me know I talked about becoming a personal trainer, well that has changed. I now want to become a physical therapist. I decided this for a few reasons. The pay in general is better, the job seems more stable than being a personal trainer, I'll be on a routine rather than having to work around a clients schedule, and I won't have to be a business man. I've read the average salary for a personal trainer is 44,000 a year, whereas the average annual salary for a physical therapist is 65,000-85,000 depending on what state one lives in. I have a lot of ambition and I really think this job is going to help me. I'm just very anxious about going back to college and after I get my AA I'll have to apply for a loan for physical therapy school. The good news is financial aid will cover everything up to getting my AA. Does anyone know anyone, or have experience in this field?

I know absolutely nothing about it but good luck ,sounds like you a have a plan and that can be the hardest part.

Openings for physical therapy will go down quite a bit just so you know
According to the United States Department of Labor "Employment of physical therapists is projected to grow 34 percent from 2014 to 2024, much faster than the average for all occupations. Demand for physical therapy services will come from the aging baby boomers, who are staying active later in life. In addition, physical therapists will be needed to treat people with mobility issues stemming from chronic conditions, such as diabetes or obesity."
http://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/physical-therapists.htm

I should warn you... Being a Physical takes true empathy and being that you like Ayn Rand that maybe a problem?

New Threads

Top Bottom