• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

It's all new

deedledee90

Profoundly insignificant.
Hello, my name is Dee. I am not only new to this forum but also to the neuro-diverse community. After years of dealing with anxiety ridden emotional outbursts, wondering why I can't make/keep friends, feeling like such an outsider doing anything social (and more...), I finally decided to research. I knew little to nothing about Aspergers before and I was shocked to find how closely I can relate to those who have AS/HFA.

I don't have a diagnosis yet but I am going to speak with my GP in a couple weeks to see if I can get an official diagnosis, or at least a step in the right direction. Of course, I am worried that I am just convincing myself that something if wrong with me.

I hope I can learn more about myself and others in this new, and kind of intimidating realm (as I am not super familiar with online forums.) So bear with me, and my shyness :) and thanks in advance!

Welcome. Research towards bettering and understanding self is the greatest gift.

Last edited:
Welcome :)

I don't have a diagnosis yet but I am going to speak with my GP in a couple weeks to see if I can get an official diagnosis, or at least a step in the right direction. Of course, I am worried that I am just convincing myself that something if wrong with me.

If you are in the UK (and it may vary depending on where) you may need to get the GP to refer you to the community mental health team. If it's anything like it is in Cardiff, then that in itself may not be that easy, but don't give up!

Welcome to AC, Dee. Hopefully you can get some answers in discovering who and what you are, as so many of us have.

It's true that it's better to know rather than to stumble through life without any sense of self awareness.

e7e34fe5954231d2028900d87805e950.png

Greetings!

It's good that you're not jumping to conclusions and just going to go with that instinct. Some people have to do that because of their financial or geographical situation but if you have that option open to you definitely take it.

One thing to note, we don't think of ourselves as defective, wrong or ill. There are many benefits to being autistic and with the right help, focus and knowledge you can excel at thing you never thought you could. You probably didn't mean to say "wrong" but I thought I'd add that in there.

Anyway, welcome to the boards.

giphy (12).gif

Welcome :)

If you are in the UK (and it may vary depending on where) you may need to get the GP to refer you to the community mental health team. If it's anything like it is in Cardiff, then that in itself may not be that easy, but don't give up!

I am in the US and resources for adults are...less than promising but I have no choice but to remain optimistic until I take the first step.

Greetings!

It's good that you're not jumping to conclusions and just going to go with that instinct. Some people have to do that because of their financial or geographical situation but if you have that option open to you definitely take it.

One thing to note, we don't think of ourselves as defective, wrong or ill. There are many benefits to being autistic and with the right help, focus and knowledge you can excel at thing you never thought you could. You probably didn't mean to say "wrong" but I thought I'd add that in there.

Anyway, welcome to the boards.

View attachment 33250

Ah, yes thank you for pointing that out. I didn't mean 'wrong' like bad. Just more of the confusion behind how I feel and worry that I may be convincing myself. I've definitely heard the classic "You act so normal..." So naturally I question myself. But overall, I know there's nothing "wrong" I just want to understand how to live my life to the fullest for me and everyone around me (until I get overwhelmed and need time to myself lol.)

Ah, yes thank you for pointing that out. I didn't mean 'wrong' like bad. Just more of the confusion behind how I feel and worry that I may be convincing myself. I've definitely heard the classic "You act so normal..." So naturally I question myself. But overall, I know there's nothing "wrong" I just want to understand how to live my life to the fullest for me and everyone around me (until I get overwhelmed and need time to myself lol.)

That's cool, I knew what you meant. I thought I'd say it since someone would have at some point, might as well be me.

Yes, if I had a penny for every time I or someone on here was told, "But you're so normal!"... You know the rest. It, umm, makes you realise how much of the same track people follow in conversations; the rigidity of vocabulary.

Hello, my name is Dee. I am not only new to this forum but also to the neuro-diverse community. After years of dealing with anxiety ridden emotional outbursts, wondering why I can't make/keep friends, feeling like such an outsider doing anything social (and more...), I finally decided to research. I knew little to nothing about Aspergers before and I was shocked to find how closely I can relate to those who have AS/HFA.

I hope I can learn more about myself and others in this new, and kind of intimidating realm (as I am not super familiar with online forums.) So bear with me, and my shyness :) and thanks in advance!
Hi nice to meetyou.

Welcome to AC! You are in the right place. I wish I had known about this site when I first got diagnosed. Everyone is friendly here.

I noticed while reading your introduction that about half of the intros I read mention being shy. Difficulty with introductions seems to be the norm on this site.

New Threads

Top Bottom