• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is throat clearing an aspie symptom?

hoeffelt

Im trying to make a list of all my aspie symptoms. I remember when I was around the age 12-15 I would sniff than do this throat clearing thing repetitively because I hate thick mucus in my throat from like eating chocolate how it thickens mucus and from allergies.... i would clear my throat like super often and keep trying to clear it until I got it all. A few people would ask me why i made that noise, so it must have been prevalant enough to bother them or make them ask. Is this really an aspie symptom or is it only if its unconscious. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure everyone clears their throat. You say eating chocolate increases its frequency, so that's probably why yours is unusual.

I clear my throat a lot, but I know the cause - I react funny to oil and fat.

Aspies often don't have good muscle control or coordination. I've sometimes wondered if I choke on my own saliva more than NTs would.
Whether aspies tend to have more allergies (esp to milk and gluten) I think has probably been discussed elsewhere, though I don't have the time to search just now. But if there is a sensitivity to cows milk, it will certainly result in more mucus. An aspie might also feel it worse, persist longer, be less subtle and be less self conscious when doing it.
It could also be a tic for some aspies. I think there have been times in my life where throat clearing was more automatic than actually necessary.

Last edited:
I never paid attention to it until I read this, but I have this too. I think it could be a habit I got from when I got really sick once and my throat got clogged up with mucus every few minutes.

I think there's something to it. My uncle was an aspie and he used to just always clear his throat or his sinus or something. It was an absolutely grating noise and I didn't know it then, but now I do. I tend to spit a lot.

Throat clearing can be a sign of acid reflux, something which seems to be more common with people who are autistic. I suffer with it myself and will need to be on tablets for the rest of my life to suppress the symptoms. I know of several other people in my local autism group who are in a similar situation.

Not sure if it's and aspie trait or not, but I sniff and clear my throat apparently every time that I'm about ready to speak. I've been told that when others hear me do that, they expect me to say something. I do tend to have persistent allergy issues, that I've previously attributed it to.

It may be an Aspie thing. Chocolate does the thick mucous thing to me too but, even without the sweet confection, I do sniff and clear my throat often - to the point that I have to use a nasal decongestant and, cough suppressant before a concert or, I do it on stage too and, that's very bad to do over a mic. (Using decongestants like I do is not good for your nostrils and sinuses, please DO NOT resort to that unless it is professionally required and, you do so with the knowledge of your doctor. See information on rhinitis medicamentosa for what it can do to your nostrils and sinuses.)

Last edited:
After eating, I have to clear my throat multiple times. I never knew why nobody else had to do it. Yet another mystery solved!

I remember my brother having this tic when he was younger, he'd constantly be clearing his throat and 'slurping' saliva from the sides of his tongue.

New Threads

Top Bottom