• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is this obsessive/repetitive behaviour?

No way I'm listening to that Nitro, already have enough brain worms. Much as I'd like to.

I been listening to the soundtrack from the video game Undertale for about 3 to 4 months now every time I'm in public. No other music I been listen on my phone since then.

No way I'm listening to that Nitro, already have enough brain worms. Much as I'd like to.
I heard this the first time in 2010 during the closing credits of the "True Grit" remake.
I downloaded it minutes later and promptly added the score to my internal jukebox :neutral:

@Nitro Some styles of music live on pretty much forever, especially that kind.
Probably why I immediately went out at bought the soundtrack to 'O brother where are thou?'

i do that as well. but i ran out of good video game musicn a while ago. im just rediscovering.

Yes, I would say that is obsessive behavior. I tend to do the same thing. I listened almost exclusively to Crowder's newest album American Prodigal for months. I couldn't get enough of it. Now I am kind of burnt out on it.

That is a bit obsessive/repetitive but I do the same thing. I listen to music a lot when I write so I have different playlists and themes. It also depends on my mood.

Yes I listen to the same song on repeat. In work we're allowed to listen to music with earphones while working. Anyway I listened to the same song on repeat for several years and never got tired of it. I found the repetition helpful and enabled me to concentrate better. After a couple of years I decided it was time for a change and listen to other songs now and repeat them over days and weeks. It was this behaviour that first aroused my aspie suspicions.

Listening to one specific artist and playlist for a week or more, from waking up to going to bed everyday?
it defiantley is repetitive behavior but im not sure if its obsessive because sometimes i will listen to the same song twice or same cd twice or sometimes i will listen to the same cd three times in a row.

Puzzling because you were 9? I don't think Rocky Horror is really suitable for a 9 year old..
Yes, definitely because I was 9! Although I was mainly just curious about it... it didn't traumatize me like, for example, the video to "Vienna" (Ultravox) about the same time. Now that caused some nightmares! [shudder]

I don't think it qualifies as OCD unless you are creating situations where you are not going out or doing your schoolwork or anything else you have to get done.

The saying is, "Music is the Soundtrack to Your Life." Dick Clark

Music is the universal language of peace, and as long as it's the music (and not the musicians) you are obsessing over, you are experiencing life as you choose to enjoy it.

I will put songs on repeat if I especially like them, or if I'm trying to learn or sing all the lyrics to make sense of the song (or just to get the words right).

Enjoy!

I don't think it qualifies as OCD unless you are creating situations where you are not going out or doing your schoolwork or anything else you have to get done.

It doesn't qualify as OCD unless you were doing this as a compulsion as the result of an obsession/intrusive thought. I do things (compulsions) to stop the thoughts (obsessions) from becoming reality and to stop myself from ruminating on them. It gives relief to do the compulsions, but ultimately only for a short time. And then the cycle begins again.

ed3fdeecbba95f2000c3fa45c99015bd.jpg

Just to clarify, I don't think I have OCD.

I do have obsessive thoughts, and behaviour such as the music, but not because I have a compulsion.

Listening to one specific artist and playlist for a week or more, from waking up to going to bed everyday?
Music for me especially when stressed or overstimulated (along with nature) is the best medicine. I've been listening to the same playlist (relatively) my whole life, be it in my head or on Bluetooth. I'm sure neural typical people do it too. Music is the greatest thing created by man/woman IMO. If it makes you complete there's no harm and nothing to worry about.

Just to clarify, I don't think I have OCD.

I do have obsessive thoughts, and behaviour such as the music, but not because I have a compulsion.

Good point. For me, my OCD involves obsessive thoughts I can consciously want to "turn off", yet be compelled in a very short span of time to repeat them. I often find it's easier to indulge myself in them and get them over with rather than to resist them and stew over it wasting even more time.

IMO it's sometimes a very weird and cruel condition.

Last edited:
I do it with books and authors. Whether it is an obsessive/repetitive thing doesn't matter in a way. I mean it is nice to know and I find it helpful to know if things are related to my AS but at the same time since it isn't hurting anyone, then it doesn't matter.

New Threads

Top Bottom