• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is There Gold At The End Of A Rainbow?

I will have a partner who lets me put my cold feet on them.
I don't like sharing food off of my plate.
If I know in advance I will split my food.
But what you have suggested is very reasonable. It is your preference, and that shouldn't be challenged.

My wife never wants anything, until I am eating or drinking it. I have to either (a) buy extra knowing that she will eat and/or drink some of mine, or (b) tell her that when she picks me up some X food and/or drink that she needs to make sure that she picks up what she wants to eat and/or drink.

Mostly this is horchata (Mexican rice water with cinnamon that is cooked and then strained and cooled) . . . I want it all! Not 3/4 of what I order. =)

Also I have learned that sharing food makes her happy. So I ask her if she wants to try a bite of my food.

I'm a conundrum! I like, need, want order, and consistency. But I also am an instant gratification person when it come to certain things. I want, what I want, when I want it.
I bought into the rhetoric that if you live a specific way, your life will be better. The idea that if you just do "this thing or that thing" you will be happy. It is implied that if you take action all will be well. Um, that isn't completely true. The reality is that sometimes a person makes major life changes and nothing happens, or things get harder. The challenge I am facing is that I bought into the idea that broken people can be fixed quickly, and am having to deal with my disappointment around having to be patient, and not getting what I want, when I want it.

Last edited:
Life is so interesting. I wasn’t a typical little girl. The kind who sits around dreaming of her wedding day. The kind of girl who had every detail for her big day completely picked out. In fact, I was the kind of girl who knew I wanted to have a partner, but never put much weight into marriage. As I grew older, and my friends started getting married I saw the reason why so many choose that path. The need for companionship is so overwhelming at times for some people. I was finding myself being one of those people who was longing for a deeper connection, a life partner, but not having the ability to obtain it. It is very telling to me now that I know about my autism. I know that I personally couldn’t have had a traditionally successful marriage or partnership when I was younger because I didn’t understand myself, or my place in the world. I didn’t know that I wasn’t broken and unfixable. I didn’t know that I could be my authentic self, and that someone would be able to love me for me. I was always trying to behave like my friends did, and obtain the same markers for success. I never managed to do it because I wasn’t being true to me. I was trying to fit in in a way that I’m not able to. Because I thought I could if I just tried hard enough. I was always working on fixing one thing or another so that I could finally have what seemed to be so easy for others to obtain, but so elusive to me. I wasn’t able to articulate myself in a way that could fully express my needs, so I often felt used, and misunderstood in personal relationships, I still do at times. I want to talk about Love, loving yourself, and loving others. I want to talk about relationship successes. I want to talk about the triumphs of making connection no matter how big or small they are. I want to talk about what lead to me finding love on the internet, and the journey I’m on. I want to have a place where we put a positive spin on all situations. I want to find that Gold at the end of the rainbow…
I believe there is always someone out there for someone else. If you're meant to be with that person then you will meet with that person some time in your life. I'm engaged to someone that has AS and couldn't be happier. We been together 5 years and been engaged for a year. Of course there are struggles with a NT dating someone with AS/Schizophrenia, but there's struggles in any relationship. It's all about working hard and definetly communicate. Communication is key in any relationship. If something bothers you, talk it out. If you like something, say it. That's what has helped us over the years. :)

I keep wondering when it is going to happen. It being that one thing that is going to help turn my life around, and make me have a smoother go at being part of this world. It is hard not to have envy over the success of other people. I'm always left wondering why I find success to be so elusive. Success in career, love, relationships... I am trying so hard everyday to see the positive in all situations, but dang it is a real challenge sometimes. I kinda want to be mad. I want to scream and blame someone, but alas the only person who would hear me would be me, and in reality I am to blame for the lack of successes.

So to answer for today; I do believe there is gold at the end of the rainbow. I'm just having a hard time seeing it through the fog, but the fog always lifts. I'm not depressed I'm just trying to figure out my life, and it is a real challenge. I do have many blessings, and am going to try, and focus on those.

Steff, I have found that success to the 'world' and success to God are often different. Remember, "He who has found his life shall lose it and he who has lost his life shall find it" and "The first will be last and the last will be first". A successful life is not a selfish life.

How easy is it to get stuck in a whirl wind poop storm? I had something really terrible happen, and it didn't kill me. I am so fortunate. I am not going to go into details about my situation, but I am going to say that sometimes having bad things happen is a good way to remind you just how fortunate (lucky) you really are.

Learning to live your life's purpose, and trusting God. I'm trying to open my ears, heart, and what ever else is blocked or clouded. I am an autistic super hero.

I'd like to think that at the end of my rainbow there's no need for currency or negotiable commodities like gold.

Kind of like Star Trek in the 23rd century. :cool:

I'd like to think that at the end of my rainbow there's no need for currency or negotiable commodities like gold.

Kind of like Star Trek in the 23rd century. :cool:
Um, Gold is shiny, and awesome! But alas your Rainbows "gold" could be anything you want it to be, or nothing at all. We are all heading in the same direction, but our paths are very different.
I just love gold so much. I try to paint it on as many things as I can. Because I really really love it!!!!!

Um, Gold is shiny, and awesome! But alas your Rainbows "gold" could be anything you want it to be, or nothing at all. We are all heading in the same direction, but our paths are very different.
I just love gold so much. I try to paint it on as many things as I can. Because I really really love it!!!!!

I just recall that "Twilight Zone" episode where some crafty thieves stole a bunch of gold and hid it in the desert, where they were able to put themselves into suspended animation to escape getting caught.

Trouble was, when they woke up more than a hundred years later, they discovered gold had no value because it could be artificially manufactured. :eek:

Gave new meaning to that phrase, "You can't take it with you." But yeah, who knows what truly lies on "the other side".

I love the color gold. The precious or not so precious metal has no extra value to me personally.

I just want you to know that you are smart, interesting, and clever. I am a better person for knowing you. You are all super heroes!
xoxo

New Threads

Top Bottom