• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is There Gold At The End Of A Rainbow?

My first marriage lasted 23 years and ended when I was rejected for another. Seems the kids were keeping us together but once they were raised, we no longer had a mission in common. This heart of mine was broken and stepped upon, but I had always failed to give her the emotional support that she needed. In fact as I looked back over the years I began to see my actions as that of an insensitive ass hole. Not done out of malice but out of ignorance. Let's face it....an emotional zombie is hard to live with. A deficit I have attempted to over come with the gold at the end of my rainbow. A find some 20+ years ago.

My first marriage lasted 23 years and ended when I was rejected for another. Seems the kids were keeping us together but once they were raised, we no longer had a mission in common. This heart of mine was broken and stepped upon, but I had always failed to give her the emotional support that she needed. In fact as I looked back over the years I began to see my actions as that of an insensitive ass hole. Not done out of malice but out of ignorance. Let's face it....an emotional zombie is hard to live with. A deficit I have attempted to over come with the gold at the end of my rainbow. A find some 20+ years ago.
I'm so glad you shared this. There is always hope, and room for improvement.

Holy Crap, Was is just a crush? I think this could actually have its own thread. Do you want to know if you have a crush on someone, or is it the real deal? Me too! We can find out together.

I think that I have the same problem (my wife says that we do things my way a lot more often than her way), and I need to work on this issue myself. I will do the below items myself.

<Disclaimer: Of course not all of the below will apply to you.>

[1.0] Tell her how you feel in a physical love letter, and love note.
[1.1] Make a long list of all the reasons why you love her. Write prose about how you feel about her.
[1.2] Write her, by hand, an elevator sales pitch love note by condensing your list into a love letter no more than a page long.
[1.3a] Put the elevator sales pitch love note into a nice red (?) envelope (do not seal it so that she can keep it), and stick a sticky note on it that says “open my second”.
[1.3b]Or perhaps roll it up like a scroll, on appropriate paper, and seal it with wax . . . perhaps stamp it with your wedding ring.
[1.4] Go buy a romantic card, and condense why you love her into a few short sentences.
[1.5] Put this card into a nice red (?) envelope. Stick a sticky note on this that says “open me first.”
[1.6] Buy her favorite chocolate.
[1.7] Place some items that remind you and/or her of your dates back when you fell in love (pictures, postcards, tokens).
[1.8] Put all of this into a really nice red (?) gift box.

[2.0] Tell her that you would like to figure out what you can do in order to make her happy.
[2.1] Tell her that you accept her feelings and perceptions, and would like to learn more about them.
[2.2] Let her know that you (maybe don’t mention Asperger’s Syndrome) tend to learn and understand best with the written word.
[2.3] Tell her that you would like to listen to her feelings and perceptions, and would like to take notes so that you can better understand the situation.
[2.4] Tell her that she is free to see the notes, and to add to the notes if she would like.
[2.5] Actively listen to her feelings and perceptions.
[2.5] Do not try to solve any problems.
[2.6] Do not change the subject, let her have complete control over the topics.
[2.6] Use “yes, and” statements that show her that you are listening, and this is all about her.
[2.7] Do not use “no, but” statements to correct her, or try to fix any perceived problem.
[2.8] Later try to figure out the notes, and try to see if there are ways that you can approach things in order bring her happiness. Some of these things could be quite small to you, and at the same time be a big deal to her. Do these things, and be thankful that you found some.

[3.0] Later, maybe a few days later, when you thought about things, let her know what your thoughts, and what you think that you can do to make her happy.
[3.1] Again keep this all about her.
[3.2] Perhaps make a list of the things that are done your way, and a list of things that are done her way, so that you can see it visually.
[3.3] Concede to do some things her way (try to be 50/50 in quantity and/or quality of importance), but let her know that she would need to show you what she wants done, and that you would like to address these items one at a time to get used to them (perhaps a week or more per item).
[3.4] When she is done, then she might ask you about your needs.
[3.4a] If she does, then show and/or tell her your list.
[3.4b] If not, then wait a few days for a good time to approach her and ask her (very politely) when would be a good time to show her your list. Then show her your list.

The one where she asks why she would have to be the only one to "fit in" on this equation.

[4.0] Let her know that your brain is different, and that communicating with you will require a different approach than communicating with most other people.
[4.1] Let her know that your first reaction, more often than not, is to think literally. You may have to think about the situation and try to figure out if your interpolation is the correct one. Sometime you forget to do this, or guess wrong. This adds a second layer to the thought process that most people do not have.
[4.2] Let her know that you are bad at reading body language (compare it to bad vision).
[4.3] Let her know that you express odd body language that can be misread (lack of eye contact, not looking at people when they talk, and whatnot).
[4.4] Let her know that you think on the extreme logical end of thought patterns.
[4.5] Let her know that (in general, not directed towards anyone) you find it difficult to understand the method of thinking on the extreme feelings end of thought patterns.
[4.6] Let her know that both ways of thinking are okay. While the thinking patterns between thinkers and feelers can be quite different they are both needed by society, and are evolutionary and/or god given traits.
[4.7] Let her know that interacting with people can be draining because it takes effort (unconscious and conscious) to figure body language out, that sometimes you need to be in a state of rest, and that she is welcome to rest with you.
[4.8] Let her know that you can try your best to grow in these areas, if it is really important, but that growth may be extremely slow, and difficult.

"You need to seek help so you can be normal."

Tell the good story. Reframe this towards a good suggestion. Seeing a councilor on how to deal with Asperger’s Syndrome can really help. I have found it to be helpful in reducing stress via working though problems, having a different perspective, and forming a plan.

Last edited:
I fall in love everyday, but I also fall out of love too. How is it that we can have such strong feelings, and be quite sure that we have found our place, and than just as quickly we have moved onto something else?
It isn't a bad thing necessarily, but it is worth talking about. Am I the only person who does this?

steff, I don't do this. I've thought about this from the other side of the coin (i.e. why don't I do this) and could have a lot to say about it but don't have time right now.

A short thought before I go to work. Are you really "in love"? Consider the word you are using, is my question. Would a different word describe the feeling better, belonging, infatuation, lust, attraction, etc.

I do have very strong feelings for people, although not necessarily falling in love but definitely loving people. Sometimes I talk to a friend or just get a friendly message and I can get overwhelmed by how much I love this person, just for a few hours.
I did tend to get infatuated easily, usually of the very intense and non-reciprocated kind. I'd also become immensely attracted to other people while I was in relationships, probably because I expected the grass to be greener with other people.
I'm not sure if this has changed because I'm getting older or because I'm genuinely happy in my relationship, but I haven't experienced this type of fleeting attraction ever since I started dating my current boyfriend 3,5 years ago. I'll still notice attractive people, I just don't feel the urge to pursue them.

steff, I don't do this. I've thought about this from the other side of the coin (i.e. why don't I do this) and could have a lot to say about it but don't have time right now.

A short thought before I go to work. Are you really "in love"? Consider the word you are using, is my question. Would a different word describe the feeling better, belonging, infatuation, lust, attraction, etc.

Definition of LOVE

I think I understand the meaning of love, and it can be described in all things. I am glad you posted it gave me an opportunity to evaluate my use of language, and to really think about the message that I was trying to portray. I am very interested in being love, but it is hard to be love when you lose place of it so easily. I have so much to think about.

I don't even let my wife put her cold feet on me.

I don't share my chips either.

"I don't want any chips, I'll just share yours"

"nope, I want all mine. I'll buy you chips, but I'm not sharing mine."

Very reasonable, I think you'll find.

New Threads

Top Bottom